Nintendo Online Play makes battles even easier, the extra gambits from the departed spirits bonuses are too much

pekingduck

So, even though I've already gone through two and a half of the routes so far, I've only recently started exploring the Online Play mechanisms after finding out having Amazon Prime gives you free Nintendo Switch Online for a year. I definitely think the Local Specialties from the Traveling Merchants is a cool gimmick. The recon training is really dumb.

I'm just surprised that gambit restorations happen at such frequency for the Departed Spirits squares. I stopped playing Maddening, because I just did not find it very fun, but I think the gambit restores would serve as a massive help on Maddening playthroughs. As is on Hard, things have become even easier, as I've now become even more liberal about spamming gambits for non-Monster situations. It would be a cool bonus to have at a lower frequency. As is, I feel that one out of every three times I step on a Departed Spirits square, I get a gambit restore. Especially with how OP gambits can get with the special post-timeskip attendant and house leader battalions and the B-level battalions, I think it's just too much. Not turning off Online Play for now, as I'm no longer playing for the fun of the gameplay, but to support grind, and I enjoy buying Local Specialty materials. The gambit restores should have just been rarer bonuses, IMO.

43 minutes ago, pekingduck said:

Amazon Prime gives you free Nintendo Switch Online for a year.

WAIT, WHAT, where do I go for this?

___

Yeah, it's kind of a no duh. Whenever a game gives you extra lives, items, or continues it's going to make the overall experience easier.

32 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

WAIT, WHAT, where do I go for this?

___

Yeah, it's kind of a no duh. Whenever a game gives you extra lives, items, or continues it's going to make the overall experience easier.

Oh dang it's real

Looks like we've already missed the deadline for the full 12 months but you can still get 9 months for free with a deadline all the way into Jan 2020.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Well, uh, turn off online play if it's too easy?  What do you want the rest of this forum to do?

Just a comment. As I said, could be there, but noting that the frequency should have been toned down. No longer playing the game for the battles at this point, but just to support grind.

Didn't know this, as I'm not hooked up to it. Try playing offline, it makes battles and raising money MUCH harder imo. I always have less than 20k gold.

I feel a tad offended here. Why would you not want to make things easy, on a second playthrough? Like...I went casual for the first time in all FEs I've played that have it for my second, BL run. So I can actually complete all routes in a timely manner.

I can kinda understand it, but yeah. Also, getting gambits restored in this way is not OP because you have to move units to that spot. It would be OP if you clicked on them and there was a "restore gambits" option.

Edited by Dragoncat

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I feel a tad offended here. Why would you not want to make things easy, on a second playthrough? Like...I went casual for the first time in all FEs I've played that have it for my second, BL run. So I can actually complete all routes in a timely manner.

I can kinda understand it, but yeah. Also, getting gambits restored in this way is not OP because you have to move units to that spot. It would be OP if you clicked on them and there was a "restore gambits" option.

Because NG+ is easy enough even on hard, you can solo the entire game with just your Lord and Byleth. Actually you can do it with just Byleth, although it'll take you 80+ turns on Silver Snow final boss.

24 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

Because NG+ is easy enough even on hard, you can solo the entire game with just your Lord and Byleth. Actually you can do it with just Byleth, although it'll take you 80+ turns on Silver Snow final boss.

Not everyone is a master though, some people suck...like me...

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I can understand where you are coming from, especially as I now am merely grinding out the remaining supports I haven't finished. In my case, I really initially wanted a challenge, and got somewhat of a challenge on my first Crimson Flower run when my guys were under-leveled and mis-classed. And as a result, I think it's still the most fun playthrough I've had in terms of needing to think a little bit more about placement and working through suboptimal situations where I couldn't ORKO an enemy. To be honest, I was hoping for some somewhat-challenging playthroughs (challenging in terms of thinking out strategies, rather than the more tedious difficulty associated with Maddening) through all of the routes. In fact, the only NG+ I took advantage of for my second playthrough (Verdant Rain) was the set of statue bonuses. However, especially by my third route (Azure Moon), I had found the maps and gameplay repetitive and mindless enough that by this point, I was just hoping to get things out of the way. Honestly, I was just trying to make conversation with this thread, and wasn't too bothered by the additional gambits. I just found that they made things even easier on Hard -- my units whom I advanced into those spots tended to be my main gambit users and be able to resist attacks anyways, so I found myself having an even easier time spamming gambits. For support grinding, I will say the gambits help.

Definitely not implying that you suck! Masochistically playing and wasting time on Lunatic runs in the other FE games just resulted in me having some heuristics in the back of my mind that I carried over which really allowed me to have an easy time on Hard. There wasn't any deep-meaning intention behind this post, and I was just making a casual note that the gambit restores allowed me to be even more mindless. I suppose that perhaps this post was too trivial to really merit creation, but what's done is done. 

2 hours ago, pekingduck said:

I suppose that perhaps this post was too trivial to really merit creation, but what's done is done. 

Yes.  Yes, it was.  If it feels like it makes things too easy, turn it off.  This is in your power.