What characters would benefit from back specials?

Perkilator

Thanks to Terry's Crack Shoot, back specials are now possible. However, I don't want EVERY character to have this, since it was hard enough work for Terry. If this gets added to characters (newcomers and veterans are applicable), who would benefit from having one?

My pick is Kirby having Hammer Flip changed to back special, and his new front special be the Beam.

I think the back special concept hinges on Terry's tendency to always face his opponent. Smash Bros. is very deliberately designed for all characters to control the same, with concessions made only for residents of other fighting games. If characters had back specials in general, then it's really going to matter which way you're facing when one or both of those specials is a valuable recovery move. Imagine if Fox had a back special, and tries to Illusion to the ledge. Only, whoops, he's facing away from the ledge and does something else, falling to his death - a phenomenon that occurs almost uniquely in ultimate since you won't always face your attacker when hit in this game. The only way to change your facing direction in the air is to B-reverse or tap in the opposite direction before inputting. Neither of these are actually possible with Terry. But Ryu can, so it's an issue unique only to characters with two side specials.

Edited by Glennstavos

20 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think the back special concept hinges on Terry's tendency to always face his opponent. Smash Bros. is very deliberately designed for all characters to control the same, with concessions made only for residents of other fighting games. If characters had back specials in general, then it's really going to matter which way you're facing when one or both of those specials is a valuable recovery move. Imagine if Fox had a back special, and tries to Illusion to the ledge. Only, whoops, he's facing away from the ledge and does something else, falling to his death - a phenomenon that occurs almost uniquely in ultimate since you won't always face your attacker when hit in this game. The only way to change your facing direction in the air is to B-reverse or tap in the opposite direction before inputting. Neither of these are actually possible with Terry. But Ryu can, so it's an issue unique only to characters with two side specials.

I agree with everything said here.

That said, I think that making every character auto-face the opponent and the addition of Back Specials would be a good idea for a mechanic change in the next Smash Bros.

On the flip side, however, I hope that complex inputs (like those unique to Ryu, Ken, and Terry) never become an integral part of this franchise. Smash is refreshing and better than other fighting games, in my opinion, for its intuitive controls, and all of these clunky quarter circle, half circle, etc. inputs kill a lot of what makes Smash fun and accessible.