Super Size Me Got A Second Movie!

XRay

So yeah, the movie just popped up into my video feed, and the documentary is really good. The movie is about Morgan Spurlock opening up a fast food restaurant so he can expose how they have not really changed since he made his first Super Size Me documentary. He also talks about how horrible it is for the big chicken corporate oligarchy to be thriving on the broken backs of the farmers and forcing those farmers into debt. But yeah, it made me feel guilty for eating my Perdue branded chicken nuggets while watching the movie. So yeah, if you want chicken but you do not want to support the shitty chicken oligarchy, you will probably have to grow your own chickens. I guess the best way you can do to help out is to simply cut back on meat consumption whenever you can, but do not beat yourself up over if you do eat meat because you cannot really avoid those meat companies unless you raise your own meat.

Seeing how the poor chickens die make me a bit sad.

I know the chickens are so fat they can't move and they suffer their whole short life. I don't want to think about this...it's an evil thing that's not changing.

Yeah, I still cannot stop myself from eating meat despite knowing how much the animals suffer, so I try to reduce consumption instead.

I am still waiting for fake meat to be more affordable. Once Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods scale up their own production to reduce prices, then I think it will be much easier for me to drastically cut back on meat.

Edited by XRay

I tried cutting back on burgers and switching to chicken sandwhiches, but most chicken sandwhiches out there just really suck. I could never find any good one. I think the closest I got was Jack in the Box. Just a giant chicken nugget wrapped in lettuce, but the bread is nice.

Just like the original Super Size Me I watched back in a middle school health class, this one left me very hungry. Y'know there's a lot of science out there about why chickens are healthier for us and healthier for the environment than beef, I'm surprised the movie didn't go into any of that. In fact a lot of the imagery feels like this was a take down of the chicken industry as a whole for the most part. I do like the information surrounding labels of meats. Like the statements of "no added hormones" and "cage free" being redundant, because it would be illegal to sell otherwise in the case of poultry. Such label misdirections are rampant among the organic foods industries. Nothing against people who select organic options, but I think a lot of executives are getting a sweet deal on consumers wanting to feel good for their purchases but aren't researching the specifics.

The takedown of "big chicken" in the latter half was also a longtime coming. These farming companies can get away with a lot of not paying what people are owed. If there's any line of work that ought to be stable, farmer sounds like an easy answer when it's as much a lifestyle as a job.  If one of those Holy chicken restaurants appears near me, I'll be sure to stop in. Still looking for a good chicken sandwhich.

20 hours ago, XRay said:

I am still waiting for fake meat to be more affordable. Once Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods scale up their own production to reduce prices, then I think it will be much easier for me to drastically cut back on meat.

Don't plant based meats have a bunch of weird crap in them? Like stuff used in laxatives and estrogen? So they can be more toxic than real meat? Really, I just wish we could go back to small mom and pop farms raising the animals, treating them fairly until they're killed, and selling them instead of having factory farms. But that will sadly never happen.

47 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I tried cutting back on burgers and switching to chicken sandwhiches, but most chicken sandwhiches out there just really suck. I could never find any good one.

Arby's has good ones. They are better than Burger King's in my opinion.

Edited by Dragoncat

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

tried cutting back on burgers and switching to chicken sandwhiches, but most chicken sandwhiches out there just really suck.

If you have any near you, I like Red robin's chicken burger.

My great uncle owns a farm and we get most of our chickens and eggs from him. It's honestly amazing how much better happy chickens, (well, ex-happy chickens since they're dead.) Taste compared to poorly treated ones. His farm is one of the places I have my best memories from even if the chickens following me around was creepy. It's pretty incredible how he can do it, since he's the only person who works on it and is about 80 years old: he still bikes about 40 km to and from the city every week to bring the chicken eggs to the market.

Edited by Benice

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

The takedown of "big chicken" in the latter half was also a longtime coming. These farming companies can get away with a lot of not paying what people are owed. If there's any line of work that ought to be stable, farmer sounds like an easy answer when it's as much a lifestyle as a job.  If one of those Holy chicken restaurants appears near me, I'll be sure to stop in. Still looking for a good chicken sandwhich.

Yeah. I feel like our farmers are bit underappreciated. Farming is hard work. Just as having good teachers and having a good education is important for national prosperity, having food security and a good agricultural industry in place is important to national prosperity too.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Don't plant based meats have a bunch of weird crap in them?

Probably, but I rather eat that than animals. I already like eating blue cheese, raw fish, natto with raw eggs, and lots of other funky food items, so eating a some chemicals here and there form a lab is not something I am worried about.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Like stuff used in laxatives and estrogen?

Okay, now that is some really weird stuff, and I do not think they put that stuff in. Laxatives and estrogen cost money too, so there is no reason to put that stuff in if it does not really serve a purpose.

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Really, I just wish we could go back to small mom and pop farms raising the animals, treating them fairly until they're killed, and selling them instead of having factory farms. But that will sadly never happen.

That would be nice, although that might cause meat to go up in price. But that is good thing in my opinion, because animals should have some value.