Has VLC suddenly become terrible for anyone else?

Jotari

I've been using VLC for years. I really like it as a media player. Lot's of options and stuff to use. But recently it seems it's become utter shit, not opening files it used to be able to open and wildly putting dialogue out of sync. Maybe it's an issue with Windows 10 as I'm finding it hard to play mkv files at all. Anyone else notice a significant decrease in VLC's quality recently/know a way to fix the issue/reccomend any other video players?

I use it, and it does great, but I never played mkv files nor have I heard of said file type. I also have Windows 10. Maybe it's an issue with that file type? If I were in this situation I'd probably just convert the file to something it plays better. I have good experience with this online converter. It's set to video/convert to MP4, but use whatever works for you.

So, I checked there and I am able to get .mkv to work on VLC. Can't say I've been noticing quality drops, but I'm also not on Windows 10.

I did have to fix it before though. What error does it give? Out of sync dialogue sounds very odd to me, though I've had files where that was the case regardless of player. You can adjust the time to put it back in sync as well though. This link does cover that, though with the current settings I'm pretty sure you have to change it to all settings in the setting menu so you can search for it. There might also have to be a driver installed and you seem to suggest it's system wide for mkv files.