I really liked Beaststars

I saw the trailer of this strange (albeit intriguing) show on Netflix. For starters, it was all about anthropomorphic animals, as well as it being CGI. But the quality seemed really good, so much the quality of image as things like music, and especially the voice acting. So I gave it a go. Seems like I finished it in less than a week, which is actually really fast for me. I rarely watch anime, so you can tell I liked it a decent bit.

As to the actual series, I feel it was really good. Pace seemed a bit strange at first, like it seemed to go for one direction (like Legoshi fighting against his own impulses), but it didn't feel like that took up too much time. Doesn't seem like it's a show that's particularly built on action and fighting scenes, but episodes 10 & 11 were my favourite by far. Goes to show you to the kind of extends Legoshi would go for Haru, and the scenes at the start Ep.11 were the ones that really did it for me in that regard.

You may have heard about it's "furry" connotations the show has going for it, but I feel you can get by if you really take the show for what it is.

PS: Louise is very likely my favourite character.

Edited by Crime and Punishment

I also enjoyed it. I watched it on Netlix and I'm looking foward to the second season.

I like how both Legoshi and Louise were struggling with their nature in their own way and Haru is quite the refreshing character if you've seen a lot in anime. I'm really curious to see where the series will go from here because season 1 was interesting in how it sometimes jumped from a school setting to a mafia setting. Oh, and the panda guy was also really interesting. 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, Strullemia said:

I also enjoyed it. I watched it on Netlix and I'm looking foward to the second season.

I was seriously wondering what that cliffhanger at the end meant. I looked it up, and it's actually rather spoiler-related. I think I'm not the only one that thought it had something to do with Louise coming back, but it's pretty obvious he'll come back at some point. They can't just kill a character like that, who've they built up from the very start to be one of the most important characters (right after Legoshi & Haru).

They pulled a Norman from The Promised Neverland on him. If you've seen that series, you'll know what I mean.

I like how both Legoshi and Louise were struggling with their nature in their own way and Haru is quite the refreshing character if you've seen a lot in anime.

Can't say I have. I don't watch a lot of anime. Still, she was definitely easy to come to appreciate. I like their relationship dynamic, how she's this promiscuous person but Legoshi is just this awkward gentleman that just legitimately cares for her.

I'm really curious to see where the series will go from here because season 1 was interesting in how it sometimes jumped from a school setting to a mafia setting. Oh, and the panda guy was also really interesting. 

I felt it jumped from a sort of Slice of Life school setting to things really escalating by Ep.9 onwards. I would've really have liked to have seen actual fight scenes, and they delibered towards the end. I had the impression the show was strictly going to be about diplomacy and overcoming primal instincts (like with the whole "Beaststars" thing), but I'm glad it wasn't just about that. If anything, Legoshi was encouraged by Gouhim (the panda guy) to outright kill his enemies when it became necessary.

Gouhim is a badass. One of the few hervibores that's really strong, and he takes pride in that. Imagine one wolf and a panda against a mafia gang of 30+ lions.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, Crime and Punishment said:

I was seriously wondering what that cliffhanger at the end meant. I looked it up, and it's actually rather spoiler-related. I think I'm not the only one that thought it had something to do with Louise coming back, but it's pretty obvious he'll come back at some point. They can't just kill a character like that, who've they built up from the very start to be one of the most important characters (right after Legoshi & Haru).

They pulled a Norman from The Promised Neverland on him. If you've seen that series, you'll know what I mean.

Haha, a lot of people including myself looking up what that ending was all about. I only know that they're pulling back a certain plot point that they left hanging for far too long. I have only watched the first two episodes from The Promised Neverland. I watched it around the time I got a bit bored by anime so I dropped it. I'll probably pick it back up again at some point.

Can't say I have. I don't watch a lot of anime. Still, she was definitely easy to come to appreciate. I like their relationship dynamic, how she's this promiscuous person but Legoshi is just this awkward gentleman that just legitimately cares for her

Generally a lot of the more hardcore anime viewers in Japan don't like it when the female characters have sex. They need to stay "pure" and when that doesn't happen these fans can get quite angry. 

I felt it jumped from a sort of Slice of Life school setting to things really escalating by Ep.9 onwards. I would've really have liked to have seen actual fight scenes, and they delibered towards the end. I had the impression the show was strictly going to be about diplomacy and overcoming primal instincts (like with the whole "Beaststars" thing), but I'm glad it wasn't just about that. If anything, Legoshi was encouraged by Gouhim (the panda guy) to outright kill his enemies when it became necessary.

Gouhim is a badass. One of the few hervibores that's really strong, and he takes pride in that. Imagine one wolf and a panda against a mafia gang of 30+ lions.

I hope that in the next season we get even more of that. The Mafia attack scene was so well done and it felt really exciting to see the entire episode. I agree, Legoshi just being all about diplomacy would've been far too predictable and I like that the anime took some good turns there.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, Crime and Punishment said:

Relevant:

I don't always watch the opening when watching an anime but Beastars definitely had one that I enjoyed and watched every episode. The opening is good not just because of the song itself but also because the animation in the opening looked good.