Comments disabled on many Nintendo YouTube videos

Lord_Brand

As if hiding the dislike counts wasn't insecure enough, Nintendo's gone one step further and hidden their comments so now they don't have to worry about their feelings getting hurt by all the fans criticizing their crappy business practices as of late either. Nintendo's pretty much sticking their fingers in their ears and going "La la la NOT LISTENING". As a longtime Nintendo fan, I'm frankly quite embarrassed. Nintendo was the one first party I was still willing to support, but that's going to change if they keep this up. I really hope Furukawa gets ousted and we get someone more of Iwata's caliber in the big seat soon.

I was reminded that the hidden dislikes are YouTube's doing, not Nintendo's, and it was pointed out that Nintendo may not have hidden comments on their own videos. This could just be YouTube playing opinion police again.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Turning off the dislike count is nothing to do with Nintendo. That was a YouTube decision, done across the whole platform. Turning off comments may or may not also be down to YouTube rather than Nintendo. YouTube will disable comments on any video that is targeted at children, as part of compliance with COPPA. Looking at some of Nintendo's recent videos, I see that the most recent video (Never Alone) has comments enabled, another random recent video (Monster Hunter Rise) also has comments enabled, but that two other videos that feature games that are more child-appropriate (Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Pokémon Legends: Arceus) have disabled comments. So my guess is that this isn't a Nintendo decision at all.

I have a lot of problems with various aspects of how Nintendo does business, but this particular case seems benign to me.

You're right, I forgot that YouTube themselves disabled dislikes in general because they want to play opinion police. I hope YouTube falls and gets replaced by something better. Companies can spend a small portion of their billions to start their own independent video websites. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was among the companies who put YouTube up to the dislike hiding in the first place. Somebody asked them to hide the dislikes.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Wait; Nintendo turned off comments for all their videos? I knew that they did that already for some of their videos, but them doing that for all their videos is a bit surprising. I honestly don't see any reason for them to do that; not even from a marketing perspective. At best, it's unnecessary because the comments that float to the top are generally positive or meant for humour, and at worst, it's just asking for negative responses.

The timing's also rather strange; their most recent videos have been stuff like trailers for switch ports of indie games and the upcoming Kirby game, and the responses to stuff like that has been generally positive. If they did this just after the negative response to the Switch Online expansion pack, I'd understand the decision; I'd say it was a bad decision, but I'd understand the reason for them to do it. This is a bad decision that I don't understand; it's the Balan Wonderworld of Nintendo marketing decisions.

EDIT: I just double-checked Nintendo's most recent videos, and only the 50-second long Kirby commercial has comments disabled; everything else in their most recent videos, including the "Kirby & the Forgotten Land - Take it all in" trailer, still have comments enabled. So, it looks like it's still that only certain videos (like commercials and such) have comments disabled.

Edited by vanguard333