Favorite and least favorite class movesets for demo?

Favorite and Least Favorite Demo Movesets  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite

• Fluegel
    • Armor Lord
    • High Lord
    • Wyvern Master
    • Mercenary
    • Thief
    • Soldier
    • Cavalier
    • Pegasus Knight
    • Brigand
    • Armor Knight
    • Archer
    • Brawler
    • Mage
    • Priest
  2. 2. Least Favorite

• Fluegel
    • Armor Lord
    • High Lord
    • Wyvern Master
    • Mercenary
    • Thief
    • Soldier
    • Cavalier
    • Pegasus Knight
    • Brigand
    • Armor Knight
    • Archer
    • Brawler
    • Mage
    • Priest

How are you liking the existing movesets? Any that stand out as particularly fun or useful? Or the opposite?

Personally, I find the Thief moveset straight up overpowered and really fun, while the Mercenary and Brigand are taking some getting used to. I'm taking a lot of unnecessary damage in the slow Brigand attacks, and I'm not great at hold to charge prompts.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

For me it’s Peg knight as best they have been reworked into a really fun class. Especially since Javelins are tailor made for the pegs. Least favorite so far is the Fluegel. I’m just not down on it. I guess it’s just to fancy for me.

Fluegel is fun, so I'm limiting myself on how much I play it (and because the level cap is apparently 15 so I don't want to reach it too soon). 

I'm not a giant fan of Archer or Monk, but it really depends on the character, and I'm working my way through them regardless. Overall, I'm trying not to peg myself into one character or playstyle, as I saw a playthrough of FEW where the YouTuber used Tiki for a majority of his run, and it was boring. I'm sure it was fun and useful for him, but seeing the same moveset by the same character for episodes and battles on end was annoying. I'm certainly not trying to stream Three Hopes, but watching that sort of pushed the philosophy for me to go outside my comfort zone. I also just like to keep everyone around the same level if I can help it. 

Haven't tried thief, armored lord, or wyvern master yet.

I love how varied the movesets are as a whole, and it took me awhile but I love the mage class. It's a glass cannon, meaning I actually have to be careful to avoid hits, has a nuke as it's class ability, and is just overall a fun class to play.

Least favourite has to be brawler, I can't find it's niche. Axes are slow and powerful, swords are quick, lances are between the two, bows are long range, magic is midrange with short range specials, and gauntlets are... kind of like axes? Wish it was faster at the expense of some range, maybe it already is but it just feels kind of similar.

Guess I'll place my thoughts here.
-- EDIT: Updated this post with more present thoughts. Outdated opinions have been strikethrough.

Not Tried: High Lord (Dimitri), Wyvern Master (Claude), Pegasus Knight, Brawler // Brigand, Archer
-- Haven't tried these yet as I'm saving BL and GD for NG+. I am training Petra to try out Pegasus Knight, but haven't finished that yet.
-- While I have tried Axe Fighter and Bow Fighter, I have not tried the proper classes for them with the expanded movesets.
== Axe Fighter: Fairly standard and not memorable.
== Bow Fighter: I think my issue with Bows is trying to figure out the optimal engagement range. I'm slowly starting to get used to the moveset, but still need to experiment more.

Fluegel: ++
-- Shez's unique class. I enjoyed the moveset when I used it, but I quickly mastered the class and started leveling Shez in others.
-- I did like the slashing rush attack and the blade tornado, as they were rather useful in moving around and gathering enemies respectively.
-- I'll probably toss in that Fluegel is the most fun playstyle since its fast and has fun combos, even though my time with it was relatively short.
-- Trying it again to refresh my memory, the Fluegel is definitely the most fun class. The ability to extend the duration of strong attacks is amazing, and it just has a great moveset.

Armor Lord: ++
-- Edelgard's unique class. As I am currently leveling El as an Armor Knight after mastering Armor Lord, I may get the movesets mixed up a bit.
-- The shield bash explosion and the AoE Axe Throw are neat, as well as just firing off flame arcs with the class skill. The alternative launcher with Smash 4 is also useful.
-- While Armor Lord has the same rating at Fluegel for enjoyability, Fluegel wins out since it can zip around the place faster.

Thief: +
-- Spin to Win. Thief is fast and fun to play, and Petra works well with Thief.
-- The Slashing Forward class attack is also neat.
-- After replay, no real changes. It's just a fun and quick class!

Mercenary: -
-- Merc needed some time to get used to as they move rather slow for some reason, same with their attacks.
-- Otherwise, their AoE Strong Attack is reliable, and I haven't had issues playing Mercs. However, I don't use their class attack ("Whirlwind Spin") as much as I should.
-- At the moment, Mercs may be my least favorite class due to their slower movements. They aren't bad, but if I had to choose a class to be my least favorite, its likely the Mercenary at this point in time.
-- Replaying the Merc, I think I might have been projecting some of my early-game difficulties onto the class instead of the difficulty of the levels. The fact I went from the fast Fluegel to the slower Merc probably didn't help my initial impressions. The moveset of the Merc is still relatively standard, but is nowhere as bad as I originally thought.
-- The usefuless of the Merc may depend on how well the player is able to combo attacks into its Class Action. While I can do so during mock combat, during actual battles I'm not sure if I'll be doing many class action combos.
-- With my new thoughts, I would change the worst class to Soldier, although that would be unfair since Soldier is a tier below the other classes. I think I'll stay with Mercenary being my least favorite class. It's not bad, but I'm not feeling its playstyle like the other classes. It's a shame since I usually love Mercenaries in FE...

Soldier:
-- Also serving as the dismounted Cav movement, Soldiers are like Mercs. They play just fine, but is nothing spectacular.
-- Playing Soldier again, I do love their Smash 3 skill (the AoE Lance Slam). Otherwise, fairly standard moveset, although their upgraded variants can be good (Dismounted Cavalier).

Cavalier:
-- While I still haven't gotten used to their standard combos, I will admit running around the map quickly and attacking with their class attack is really fun.
-- Cavalier is something I just need to test and play more.
-- After messing around more with the Cavalier, it's another fun class. I really need to make use of Smash 4 for duel engagements, while making use of Smash 2 and Smash 3 when necessary. I guess when I'm in the thick of it, their moves doesn't feel as impactful as other classes, although gameplay-wise they work just fine.
-- Also, the Soldier (dismounted) Lance Moveset is updated here as well, so seeing Smash 4 here was rather interesting.
-- As an aside, Ferdinand attacking extremely quickly once he gets going makes any class fun. He's definitely going to be one of my favorite characters.

Armor Knight: +
-- I forgot what their class action does besides making a large zone. It makes a Physical DMG Reduction zone, which is pretty neat.
-- Gameplay wise, Armor Knights are actually fairly fun to play. They are more fun than Mercs and Soldiers in my opinion with a solid Direct Strong Attack and AoE Strong Attack.
-- Yeah, the Shield Slam on Smash 2 and the simple Axe Cleave on Smash 3 is great. The 4th is a mini-whirlwind attack that launches foes, which is interesting.
-- Definitely a fun class for me, although it is a bit on the slower side.

Brigand: +
-- A fun but slow class, especially with Caspar charging up attacks further. It's moveset is definitely enjoyable, however due to it being so slow it is extremely easy to take damage.
-- So, while a fun class, probably not the best to use if going for S-Ranks since Brigands will likely take lots of damage when attacking. At least this class may make easier use of HP Threshold abilities, such as Desperation (break guard on strong attacks if below 50% HP.)

Archer: +
-- I finally get how Bows work, and a part of that is because Bow Fighter lacks an important Strong Attack. The 4th Strong Attack for Bows has the Archer jump up into the air and barrage the ground with arrows, which is a fast and efficient AoE move that is better than their Strong 3 (Stationary Arrow Rain). Also, making use of Strong Attack 2 (The "Burst Arrow) is also vital.
-- Essentially, Archers is another class that rewards using the right moves at the right time, unlike the usual single-attack spam of regular classes.
-- With the 4th Strong Attack being available, I'll just wade Archers right into the horde of enemies, even at point blank. My Bernie can handle herself really well.

Brawler: +
-- All right, confession time. I haven't actually unlocked the Brawler yet, but from trying Gauntlet Fighters, their rapid attacks is rather fun!
-- I think they may be focused on breaking guards and trying to break the Stun Gauges, as I find their "Direct Strong Attack" to be rather useful.
-- Their class action does a frontal sweep and buffs regular attacks for a bit, but I'm not sure how useful this will actually be.

Priest:
-- Priests play slightly differently than Mages, although I haven't played Priest enough to form a solid opinion.
-- The class was easy enough to understand and play though, so there's that.
-- Priests play similarly to FEW's mages in my opinion, being a straightforward magical class with its combos. Heck, if you want heals, just use the class ability and attack the enemies with the debuff to heal yourself. So yeah, Priests are the "easy spellcaster" class to play, while Mages are more of a setup one.

Mage: +
-- Once I got that Mages is more of a setup class vs spamming the same Strong Attacks, I found their playstyle to be rather enjoyable.
-- Firing rapid energy orbs is fun, as well as casting a tornado to gather everyone up to blast them away with a flame burst.
-- As an aside, Mage Monica is amazing. Casting magic is also rather fun, so Mages are up there in my favored classes.

Also, next time you look at the classes, take a closer look at the class skills per character.
-- Some characters get different skills, such as getting Miracle for going Priest or a skill that increases Bond Points faster.
-- Another example is getting Deathblow for Brigand instead of a "Life and Death" knockoff.
-- There's even Wisdom and Ploy versions of class masteries, which have different effects!
-- This is not counting the magic changes, as different characters can learn different magic spells.

Random Notes:
-- Yeah, I'm convinced Special Attacks are unique when the character is in their preferred class, otherwise they will just use the class defaults. Not sure if they are any stronger or not though.

Edited by Sire
Added some missing notes

Right now Brawler seems like the best class. It works really well with many characters abilities. Archer might be the weakest because too many of its combos lock you in place for so long on top of being kinda slow.

Edited by Hiro Mei

Quick opinions for most of the GD casts. No opinions on High Lord and Armor Lord.

• Fluegel: Protagonist power! It's fast, multi-hit, and strong. My only gripe is Strong Attack 3 not picking up commanders but that goes hand in hand with the rhythm they want you to pull with it.
  • Wyvern Master: Still the weakest of the three lords. It's class action (Wyvern fireball~) and strong attacks really favor area control for stacking damage as opposed to raw power of the other two. It's fitting for Claude as a character but definitely going to be the least satisfying to play overall.
  • Mercenary: Myrmidon 2. The class action is a little hard to chain into but if you get the timing down right, you get a nice speed boost to run up to a commander and slash them. Still probably the least fun to play of the swords though.
  • Thief: Oh man, the increase in attack speed makes a world of difference in shredding the shield gauge along with good strings and multi-hit strong attacks. Best of the generic swords. Will see how it pays off even more with Assassin and Trickster.
  • Cavalier: Hits surprisedly hard with decent strings. Class action is super fun to just hold and run through. Even great at breaking up groups that way.
  • Pegasus Knight: Works almost like Cavalier, I'm almost inclined to say that it's stronger in some ways, especially when Strong Attack 4 lifts enemies with a gust of wind and allows them to chain in the air. Class action is easier to use than Cavalier but less fun to hold otherwise.
  • Armor Knight: It's dash allows you to tackle lesser enemies which is pretty nice but overall, fit it's archetype to a tee. Strong and slow. When the attack hits, it hurts.
  • Brigand: A bit bias as Hilda has a charge mechanic but overall, is similar to Armor Knight with the trade off being a much stronger attack. Still too slow for my liking and unlike Armor who has the defense to allow getting hit a few times in order to launch an attack, Brigand requires a much more careful method of approaching.
  • Archer: Playing as Archer is almost a uphill battle everytime as every other enemy seems to have no problem interrupting you. Even Brawlers, which Archers are suppose to have an advantage against, can straight up pummel them before they start their string. Has the potential to be strong but the current attack speed leaves ALOT to be desired.
  • Brawler: Like with Hilda, my view in this class is affected by Raphael's charge a bit but even so, WOW, it is good. Fast hits that are able to destroy guard gauge as fast as Thief. You pummel everyone. I still am not sure what to make do with the class action though since it's string and strong attacks is already superb.
  • Priest: A bit slow but good enough strings to hit your enemies with. Still might be better to fight alongside a teammate rather than having an adjutant assist. A good support class that can fight well.
  • Mage: If it wasn't for the raw damage, I almost consider them somewhat inferior to Priest. If the opponent in question, isn't an archer, they will struggle. I feel like the class lacks some strong attacks that can effect the guard gauge but they still do have the power to hit the enemies Res which is valuable.