Would save data transfer from Three Hopes into Three Houses incentivize you to buy the former?

When you boot up Three Hopes, if you have Three Houses, you get some bonus items. Trivial things really. But in general into kind of think it's cool when games do stuff like that...eh, provided I have both games.

So I was thinking, it would be way cooler and probably more business savvy to the reverse. Crack open the Three Houses development code and retroactively add connectivity with Three Hopes. Specifically, what if having Three Hopes data gave you knew characters in Three Houses. What if at the start of a new game you just get given Shez, Holst and Monica?

It wouldn't be hard to do. Their models already exist as do sound clips for them. Whip up some kind of personal skills for them, give them some unique assets and flaws and boom, you have a new character. Supports would be the hardest thing, but they didn't even bother giving Anna supports So they could get away without them there, especially since their existence in the game would be noncannon.

I think there's probably quite a few Fire Emblem fans who haven't bothered to get Three Hopes because of the different gameplay, but if getting Three Hopes gave you more Three Houses content it could push more people over the fence that were on the edge. It could also incentivize warriors fans to get into Three Houses as they could continue to use characters they like.

Just a thought. Not something they'll ever do since Nintendo seems to have an "when it's done, it's done" attitude to updating things. But it would be copl to see how such characters would fit into a gameplay niche of traditional Fire Emblem (give Holst am anti-flier personal skill and he'd be really useful as is).

Edited by Jotari

For me personally: please no.

I have the "must collect all the things" mentality/flaw that predatory game monetisation loves to target, so I am super careful with that sort of thing. I know that I'm susceptible to that sort of marketing, so I'm quite draconian with myself about staying the hell away. If I ever find myself wanting to buy game A just to get a few bits and pieces in game B (and I surely would in this case), then I will typically just stop playing game B entirely. The best way to resist temptation is to make sure you're nowhere near it.

So, if they did add new characters like you suggest, then not only would that mean that I definitely won't buy Three Hopes (as opposed to only probably won't buy it otherwise), it would also probably mean that I would stop playing Three Houses, and that I wouldn't buy anything else Three Houses related in the future (whether that's DLC, merch, whatever). And I'd also be more wary of buying anything in this franchise in the future.

If it were something relatively minor -- maybe a stat booster, or some rares seeds for the greenhouse, or something like that -- then I wouldn't care, but something relatively substantial like extra characters would be a big turn off for me. Although, if they did something like "here's a new DLC character pack that you can buy separately for [something relatively cheap] or alternatively you can get it for free if you buy Three Hopes" then I wouldn't have an issue with that. But that sort of cross-game promotional tie-in very rarely ends up with that sort of option.

That said, I think that I am probably in the minority on this, and that they would probably end up making more extra sales than they would lose out from people like me. I do not think I am representative of hte playerbase as a whole.

On the other hand, I'm also not certain that adding these would be as easy as you thing. Not technically, mind, but legally. I'm not sure of the exact wording of the agreement that followed the 2016-17 SAG-AFTRA strike, but I know that it included a provision about giving actors more information about the roles that they were working on. Just because they have the voice lines recorded doesn't necessarily mean that they have the legal right to just use them in any other project that they want to. I mean, they might do. I'm not a lawyer. But I would not be at all surprised if there would be IP rights involved that would make something like this complicated.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

So I was thinking, itnwouls be way cooler and probably more business savvy to the reverse.

What is "business savvy" about that? Sounds like a waste for everyone involved. Three Houses is three years old.

I already have Three Hopes, but as I don't plan on ever going back to Three Houses, no, new content in the latter would not incentivize me to buy the former.

4 hours ago, lenticular said:

For me personally: please no.

I have the "must collect all the things" mentality/flaw that predatory game monetisation loves to target, so I am super careful with that sort of thing. I know that I'm susceptible to that sort of marketing, so I'm quite draconian with myself about staying the hell away. If I ever find myself wanting to buy game A just to get a few bits and pieces in game B (and I surely would in this case), then I will typically just stop playing game B entirely. The best way to resist temptation is to make sure you're nowhere near it.

So, if they did add new characters like you suggest, then not only would that mean that I definitely won't buy Three Hopes (as opposed to only probably won't buy it otherwise), it would also probably mean that I would stop playing Three Houses, and that I wouldn't buy anything else Three Houses related in the future (whether that's DLC, merch, whatever). And I'd also be more wary of buying anything in this franchise in the future.

If it were something relatively minor -- maybe a stat booster, or some rares seeds for the greenhouse, or something like that -- then I wouldn't care, but something relatively substantial like extra characters would be a big turn off for me. Although, if they did something like "here's a new DLC character pack that you can buy separately for [something relatively cheap] or alternatively you can get it for free if you buy Three Hopes" then I wouldn't have an issue with that. But that sort of cross-game promotional tie-in very rarely ends up with that sort of option.

That said, I think that I am probably in the minority on this, and that they would probably end up making more extra sales than they would lose out from people like me. I do not think I am representative of hte playerbase as a whole.

On the other hand, I'm also not certain that adding these would be as easy as you thing. Not technically, mind, but legally. I'm not sure of the exact wording of the agreement that followed the 2016-17 SAG-AFTRA strike, but I know that it included a provision about giving actors more information about the roles that they were working on. Just because they have the voice lines recorded doesn't necessarily mean that they have the legal right to just use them in any other project that they want to. I mean, they might do. I'm not a lawyer. But I would not be at all surprised if there would be IP rights involved that would make something like this complicated.

Making it available as more DLC but free if you have the other game would be the best way of doing it. I am still slightly peeved that there's content I missed out on Fates and (especially) Shadows of Valentia for not having the right amiibos or and amiibo reader for my 3DS.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

What is "business savvy" about that? Sounds like a waste for everyone involved. Three Houses is three years old.

I already have Three Hopes, but as I don't plan on ever going back to Three Houses, no, new content in the latter would not incentivize me to buy the former.

It is three years old, but it's also still a game that is on the market at the present time and possible to purchase.

Ehh...not really? It's not that I'm opposed to going back and adding stuff to Three Houses, because I'm all for that. I just think that I'd personally want more routes and fun crossover stuff to happen if that was to be the case, and frankly, the characters in this hypothetical scenario don't really work out. Holst is still defending against Almyrans or is at least the last line of defense for the Alliance, so he can't go. Monica and Shez are explicitly dead, so they can't be involved. If they were added, they'd probably be like the Smash Bros characters in Fates at best, or the phantoms in Echoes at worst. Either way, I'm not a fan of how those crossovers were implemented, and I don't want to see that again, so at this time, no.

TL;DR - No, not because I disagree, but because I don't think it would be done well and/or with enough sense. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

Ehh...not really? It's not that I'm opposed to going back and adding stuff to Three Houses, because I'm all for that. I just think that I'd personally want more routes and fun crossover stuff to happen if that was to be the case, and frankly, the characters in this hypothetical scenario don't really work out. Holst is still defending against Almyrans or is at least the last line of defense for the Alliance, so he can't go. Monica and Shez are explicitly dead, so they can't be involved. If they were added, they'd probably be like the Smash Bros characters in Fates at best, or the phantoms in Echoes at worst. Either way, I'm not a fan of how those crossovers were implemented, and I don't want to see that again, so at this time, no.

TL;DR - No, not because I disagree, but because I don't think it would be done well and/or with enough sense. 

I wasn't really envisioning it as being something being done "right". Just for the gameplay and fanservice sake. 

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

I wasn't really envisioning it as being something being done "right". Just for the gameplay and fanservice sake. 

I get that, but what's the point of adding the characters if they don't really interact with anyone else? FE has a history of making it so that if the characters are from a different world/timeline/game but are DLC, they're more or less pieces - units, in the truest FE sense. The Smash characters in Fates, the Amiibo characters in Echoes, even the Renown characters in Three Hopes aren't exempt from this. That's not good or fun fanservice to me, that's just...stuff. And fanservice that fails to actually service the fans is...well, it's not fun. Personally, I'm never going to use a unit that can't interact with others when I could be using another unit that can interact with others, since supports are more valuable to me than stats. (That's why I never use Anna in Three Houses.)

So, if adding them in the capacity that characters like these have historically been added doesn't work, what's the alternative? You add them in a way where they do interact with others, right? ...except again, these characters can't do that. Monica and Shez are canonically dead by the time the game begins, or shortly after. (And Edelgard is in no position to move on the bandits to save Monica.) Holst can't leave his post in most routes, so it makes no sense for him to show up. So ultimately, you have three choices: 

You go along with it anyways and break all sense of story. (Unlikely.)

You use the units like the Renown Units in Three Hopes (Possible, but that still takes away the fun of interactions.)

You create an alternate story where these characters exist and fight alongside our main heroes (This will either end up being non-canon like the Ashen Wolves storyline, or it'll end up being a completely separate route with its list of recruitable characters, which goes against the DLC model of not being able to recruit the DLC characters in every route.) 

None of these are truly satisfying to me: The first just breaks everything, the second isn't really worth it, and while the third is the most worth it, it's a lot of effort and I still don't think it'd be done exactly right. That being said, that's the one I'd pay for. But IntSys wouldn't do that. They'd just put these characters in Three Houses as you suggested, and would say "hey, look, new playable characters! (With no supports or real way to interact with their peers because they shouldn't exist here in the first place. But don't think too much about that - shiny new thing!) Still, if it works for you, it works for you. 

43 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I get that, but what's the point of adding the characters if they don't really interact with anyone else? FE has a history of making it so that if the characters are from a different world/timeline/game but are DLC, they're more or less pieces - units, in the truest FE sense. The Smash characters in Fates, the Amiibo characters in Echoes, even the Renown characters in Three Hopes aren't exempt from this. That's not good or fun fanservice to me, that's just...stuff. And fanservice that fails to actually service the fans is...well, it's not fun. Personally, I'm never going to use a unit that can't interact with others when I could be using another unit that can interact with others, since supports are more valuable to me than stats. (That's why I never use Anna in Three Houses.)

So, if adding them in the capacity that characters like these have historically been added doesn't work, what's the alternative? You add them in a way where they do interact with others, right? ...except again, these characters can't do that. Monica and Shez are canonically dead by the time the game begins, or shortly after. (And Edelgard is in no position to move on the bandits to save Monica.) Holst can't leave his post in most routes, so it makes no sense for him to show up. So ultimately, you have three choices: 

You go along with it anyways and break all sense of story. (Unlikely.)

You use the units like the Renown Units in Three Hopes (Possible, but that still takes away the fun of interactions.)

You create an alternate story where these characters exist and fight alongside our main heroes (This will either end up being non-canon like the Ashen Wolves storyline, or it'll end up being a completely separate route with its list of recruitable characters, which goes against the DLC model of not being able to recruit the DLC characters in every route.) 

None of these are truly satisfying to me: The first just breaks everything, the second isn't really worth it, and while the third is the most worth it, it's a lot of effort and I still don't think it'd be done exactly right. That being said, that's the one I'd pay for. But IntSys wouldn't do that. They'd just put these characters in Three Houses as you suggested, and would say "hey, look, new playable characters! (With no supports or real way to interact with their peers because they shouldn't exist here in the first place. But don't think too much about that - shiny new thing!) Still, if it works for you, it works for you. 

Well maybe doesn't work for you, but I can speak for myself when I say I made pretty liberal use of the Einherjar in Awakening.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well maybe doesn't work for you, but I can speak for myself when I say I made pretty liberal use of the Einherjar in Awakening.

I'm glad for you! I admired some of the new artwork for the Einherjar, and never thought twice about them outside of what their mission gave me. (The same goes for Ike, Lucina, and Robin in Fates.) Even the Spotpass units got a lot more love from me. But you came up with this idea to please you and it does, so it's a success where it matters. 

8 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I'm glad for you! I admired some of the new artwork for the Einherjar, and never thought twice about them outside of what their mission gave me. (The same goes for Ike, Lucina, and Robin in Fates.) Even the Spotpass units got a lot more love from me. But you came up with this idea to please you and it does, so it's a success where it matters. 

And, while I haven't done it myself, a lot of people have made very good use of Fates capture mechanic to utilize enemies with exclusive skill access. I think of all games Three Houses works particularly well for adding such new characters, as it's quite easy to make a Three Houses character unique by virtue of what assets and flaws you give them and thus how easy or difficult it is to qualify for certain classes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I would love if the upcoming Hopes DLC adds a path that leads into a new timeline where their original encounter changes and now Byleth and Shez becomes buddies as Geralt adds Shez into his mercenaries. 

Then Shez becomes kind of your sibling and now you have a permanent character who joins on all paths plus I want Shez x Byleth yo be a thing as Hopes cant be arsed to add S supports.

This pic is what made me want this badly

1651775750424.jpg