How many video game franchises did Smash introduce you to?

PostZordem

With Super Smash Bros being a series filled to the brim with a huge cast of playable characters both first-party and third-party, there's bound to be plenty of characters from IPs that people may not have heard of before playing Smash. 

Here are the video game franchises I was first introduced to through Super Smash Bros. Any series that isn't included on the bullet point list is one I had either seen or played before Smash Bros.

• Fire Emblem
  • Metroid
  • Kirby
  • Star Fox 
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 
  • Pikmin 
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Ice Climber 
  • Duck Hunt
  • Kid Icarus
  • F-Zero
  • Bayonetta 
  • Persona 
  • Dragon Quest 
  • Final Fantasy 
  • Metal Gear Solid 
  • Fatal Fury 

So, how many IPs represented in Super Smash Bros were your first introduction to the franchise? The only rule is that Smash had to be the first place where you had been exposed to a particular series.

It would be faster to list off the stuff I was playing before 1999. Which was just Mario, Pokemon, Sonic, and one of the Game & Watch Galleries. Then again, Mario and Pokemon make up a full 50% of Smash 64's roster so maybe that is a good track record. Almost every nintendo franchise in Smash 64-Brawl was introduced to me via a Smash game.

Ultimate is the first and only Smash game where every single new character was somebody I had direct familiarity with prior to their announcement. And in present terms the only games I haven't played (and have no intention of playing) are Gyromite and Wii Fit, since I lack the peripheral to make that possible. If there's any specific flex I could make on past games, I was definitely playing through Metal Gear Solid before Snake was announced in the E3 2006 trailer. His announcement and definitely Olimar's remind me of a time where we could simply ask "How will this even work???" because we only had the Smash Dojo's screenshots to go off of. These days, every character gets a full gameplay trailer on top of a lengthy Sakurai stream.

Introduced via Melee:

• Fire Emblem
  • Metroid
  • Ice Climber
  • Star Fox
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • F-Zero
  • Game & Watch

Introduced via Brawl:

• Kid Icarus
  • Metal Gear Solid

Introduced via 4: