Tekken 8 revealed

Perkilator

ooh, the chain link turning into the 8. The devil gene wing fading away during the rage art, then crushing the feather in his fist. Jin's pathetic words teeing up a "Let's Break the chain" narrative. Okay. I'll stop making fun of Jin being such a dork if they stick the landing here. 

Aesthetically it does look good, but I'm not sure I'm agreeing with folks on it being a huge evolution. Seeing a character's musculature flex in real time is very cool, but Street Fighter 6 has unfortunately beat them to it. And that game feels like it has more of a visual identity to set it apart from the previous one. This to me looks like Tekken 7 with an extremely high quality mod pack. Still, this is a really cool showcase. And I'm looking forward to this modern era of 3D, big budget fighting games. 

Decided to whip up a wishlist for the base game that probably won't feasibly happen but goddamnit a man can dream

Roster

Spoiler
  1. Kazuya
  2. Jin
  3. Jun
  4. Xiaoyu
  5. Hwoarang
  6. Yoshimitsu
  7. Paul
  8. Law
  9. Nina
  10. King
  11. Kuma
  12. JACK-8
  13. Lee
  14. Lei
  15. Roger
  16. Mokujin
  17. Bryan
  18. Eddy
  19. Julia
  20. Steve
  21. Marduk
  22. Raven
  23. Asuka
  24. Lili
  25. Feng Wei
  26. Dragunov
  27. Alisa
  28. Lars
  29. Bob
  30. Claudio
  31. Leroy
  32. Fahkumram
  33. Lidia
  34. Tifa (guest)
  35. Wonder Momo (guest)
  36. Silat practitioner
  37. Eskrima practitioner
  38. Kalaripayattu practitioner
  39. Vovinam practitioner
  40. Devil (an amalgamation of Jin and Kazuya's Devil Genes; true final boss of the Arcade and Campaign modes)

Modes

Spoiler
  • Story Battle
    • Campaign: Witness the final battle between Jin and Kazuya
      • Kazuya reclaims control of the Mishima Zaibatsu and orchestrates the King of Iron Fist Tournament 8 in order to lure Jin out of hiding
      • The fight between them in the trailer serves as a book end; it appears in the first chapter as a flash-forward, and then we cut back to it at the start of the final chapter
    • Arcade: Go through a regular arcade ladder, with each character having their own endings accompanied by a piece of artwork
      • Stage 1
      • Stage 2
      • Stage 3
      • Bonus Game 1: 4-Frame Tekken Bowl
      • Stage 4
      • Stage 5
      • Stage 6
      • Bonus Game 2: 60-second Survival
      • Stage 7: Devil Jin
      • Stage 8: Kazuya (permanently transforms into Devil Kazuya when the player is one round away from winning)
      • Stage 9: Devil
        • Win every other battle without losing a round, get all strikes in Bonus Game 1, and last all 60 seconds in Bonus Game 2 in order to fight Devil
    • Vs. Battles
      • Vs. CPU
      • Player vs. Player
  • Training
    • Train away and experiment with your fighting style
  • Survival
    • Defeat as many opponents as you can until you fall
  • Time Attack
    • Defeat the entire cast as quickly as you can
      • In both these modes, opponents appear one after the other instantly after you get a KO and are made considerably weaker
      • Each KO you Score also heals you a bit
  • Ultimate Tekken Bowl
    • With Anyone
    • With Friends
    • Ranked Battle
      • Fight to improve your online rank
    • Quick Match
      • Fight a casual match with someone online
    • Team Battle
    • Form a team of 8 characters and put your team against another
    • Tournament
      • Enter a tournament or create your own
        • 1v1
        • Team Battle Tournament
    • Ultimate Tekken Bowl
  • Others
    • Control Types
      • Modern: A simple control scheme those who have never played Tekken before
      • Classic: The signature 4-button-4-limbs control scheme for Tekken veterans
    • Replays
    • Tips
    • AI Sparring
      • New AI
      • AI Select
      • Delete AI
    • Customization
    • Gallery
    • Tekken Tunes

Edited by Perkilator

• 2 months later...

The game got a new trailer at the Game Awards:

Spoiler

After nearly 30 years since her last canonically playable appearance in Tekken 2 (not counting the Tag Tournament games), Jun’s been confirmed to return as a playable character.

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely very excited for Tekken 8. Been playing Tekken since the first game on the PS1. I liked 7 quite a bit, but I was kinda disappointed in the lack of game modes, how short arcade mode was, and certain removals from the roster (some of which were added later as DLC, but still). I hope 8 gives us more game modes, such as bringing back Tag mode or Team mode or Survival mode, increases the number of matches in Arcade, and does the roster justice by bringing back some fan favorites (my personal favorite has always been Michelle) and by not holding back veterans like Lei for DLC.

I really liked Devil Kazumi in Tekken 7, despite her not being playable. I'm guessing we won't see her or her human form again. I would suggest writing a new character, perhaps Kazumi having had a child before meeting Heihachi or just a different member of her mysterious, demonic family. A woman with the devil gene that's packing moves from both Kazumi and her devil form. Tekken 8 has a theme of "breaking the chain", and promises to explore the question of whether someone with the devil gene ought to be allowed to live. But I don't particularly care for Jin or Kazuya because they both had their time as protagonists. Let's build another character with the Devil Gene and see how she fits into the equation.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I'm not so sold on the "aggressive" direction they're taking Tekken in since to me the series is known for defense and movement instead of offense. I get it can be more fun for people of all skill levels to just press buttons and have cool stuff happen tho. And I guess make it more exciting for their esports since watching Knee 1, 1 everyone isn't that fun for the regular viewer (I like it tho lol)

Nina looks mostly good, her outfit is a lil weird but idk about the weapons people have now. Guns don't really fit in this series and the wall explosion thing to extend the combo reminds me of something you'd find in a DoA stage. I'm mostly a 2D player so what I think doesn't really matter since I'm a shitter in Tekken but good luck to bamco. I'll play this if they tone down the particles lol

Here are the ideas I have in mind for brand new characters for Tekken 8:

• New Tekken Character from 🇦🇷 Argentina
  • New Tekken Character from 🇺🇾 Uruguay
  • New Tekken Character from 🇨🇦 Canada
  • New Tekken Character from 🇮🇳 India
  • New Tekken Character from 🇧🇪 Belgium
  • New Tekken Character from 🇳🇱 Netherlands
  • New Tekken Character from 🇭🇷 Croatia
  • New Tekken Character from 🇬🇷 Greece
  • New Tekken Character from 🇵🇹 Portugal
  • New Tekken Character from 🇨🇭 Switzerland

• 2 weeks later...