What determines when you can retreat in fe2?

Mars of Aritia

I keep noticing the retreat option seems to be randomly appearing and disappearing all the time. Sometimes I enter a map I can retreat and sometimes I can't. One turn I have the option and the next I don't. Is this normal behaviour or is this a problem with the patch i'm using?

Yeah, the chance to get retreat as a command available is random in FE:Gaiden
it doesnt always show up on the same turn
For information on this, note the link below that lists "retreat probability" (Column A is % chance in hexadecimals)
http://blog-imgs-92.fc2.com/i/z/u/izumobridge/20160612212042df0.txt
For instance 海のほこら 野外 (Sea Shrine Exterior i.e. the Necrodragon fight) lists 64 for retreat success probability i.e. 100%
Meanwhile 海賊の砦 (Pirate Fort i.e. the one with Leo/Valbar/Kamui) lists 28 i.e. 40% 

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

16 hours ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

Yeah, the chance to get retreat as a command available is random in FE:Gaiden
it doesnt always show up on the same turn
For information on this, note the link below that lists "retreat probability" (Column A is % chance in hexadecimals)
http://blog-imgs-92.fc2.com/i/z/u/izumobridge/20160612212042df0.txt
For instance 海のほこら 野外 (Sea Shrine Exterior i.e. the Necrodragon fight) lists 64 for retreat success probability i.e. 100%
Meanwhile 海賊の砦 (Pirate Fort i.e. the one with Leo/Valbar/Kamui) lists 28 i.e. 40% 

Very interesting, thanks for that. Looks like it's about 40% for most maps, including the annoying mountain graveyard and geyse's fort. I guess they didn't want you to abuse it, but it's still a bit annoying. should've made it 100% on first turn.

I assume you can't retreat if you are attacked by an enemy squad right?