Any useful tips for Maddening difficulty?

Speedy

5 hours ago, hdawgsizzle said:

Don't run Lucina on Alear

I agree with this completely (and the part about corrin/freeze staff) I am on the last chapter of maddening now (blind playthrough). One thing that someone mentioned in another thread I stole to help out with the last couple chapters was to give a wolf knight lucina. Not only do they have great range since they are cav, but the daggers from the chain attacks DO apply poison to the target. I found this to be incredibly useful for bosses and more.

I heard that armored unit (let say Louis) + Lyn is interesting combo. When you create duplicates and you have very high defense so they take 0 dmg, they can stay there for quite some time tanking for you. Any experience with that?

1 minute ago, Speedy said:

I heard that armored unit (let say Louis) + Lyn is interesting combo. When you create duplicates and you have very high defense so they take 0 dmg, they can stay there for quite some time tanking for you. Any experience with that?

That doesn't surprise me. I haven't actually tried it. Even with my tank sitting at above 43 def, there are still mobs that still can chunk in the later chapters. 

This sounds hilarious though. I know they copy your avoid, so it makes sense they would copy the defense stat too. 

3 hours ago, Speedy said:

While this is true, it isn't exactly helpful on Maddening. Firstly, there are few enemies that will do no damage in the late game. And if they do hit zero? They simply won't attack. So, great strategy for Normal/Hard, and I guess if there is a coke point you want to block off, otherwise I'd not. 

10 minutes ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

While this is true, it isn't exactly helpful on Maddening. Firstly, there are few enemies that will do no damage in the late game. And if they do hit zero? They simply won't attack. So, great strategy for Normal/Hard, and I guess if there is a coke point you want to block off, otherwise I'd not. 

So enemies also ignore units if they do 0 damage? I know they ignore you if you they have 0% chance to hit, but didnt know about the damage.

17 minutes ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

5 minutes ago, Speedy said:

So enemies also ignore units if they do 0 damage? I know they ignore you if you they have 0% chance to hit, but didnt know about the damage.

HOWEVER, even then they will still attack if they can benefit from chain attacks.

15 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

HOWEVER, even then they will still attack if they can benefit from chain attacks.

True, but that would kill your clones, and thus be useless in the goal of having enemies suicide onto them. That said, I actually have only run into so few scenarios where enemies really made use of chain attack combinations, and none against Louis/Goldmary.

Louis+Lyn also seems like a bit of a waste of Alacrity++, which is a very helpful skill

I've gotten the most use out of Kagetsu+Lyn - the clones are pretty dodgy, but not so dodgy that the enemy will ignore them. Alacrity++ is great because it lets him brave double most things right away and swordmasters/wolves after a Speedtaker or two. He's a brave assist Hero so alacrity++ is a good way to let him see lots of combat but remain at full health

Lyn in general can make any unit a lot better. I used her with Alycryst. Because he gets Luna, not only will Astra has a 10 additional range because of covert, but each arrow hit has a chance to proc Luna. I have indeed had all 5 arrows proc it as well. It is a deadly combo. 

I used Lyn mainly on Alear in my first playthrough, she was one of my favorite characters overall. But I wonder, if used her on Alear on maddening, what class should I give Alear?

2 hours ago, Speedy said:

I used Lyn mainly on Alear in my first playthrough, she was one of my favorite characters overall. But I wonder, if used her on Alear on maddening, what class should I give Alear?

Depends on your use, but Dragon is still really good. Gives you 5 clones. 

Also who would benefit most from Mecaiah ring? In my first playthrough I gave it to Clanne, to give him staves so he could also heal, but I will probably not use him on maddening.

6 hours ago, Speedy said:

Also who would benefit most from Mecaiah ring? In my first playthrough I gave it to Clanne, to give him staves so he could also heal, but I will probably not use him on maddening.

That really depends. She can make any unit better if you need extra support. I moved her around a lot. Some stages she may be good on your dancer for extra heals, but I ended up using her with my mage knight toward the end to have another mage nuker that also could heal (but didn't lack mobility like sages do)

2 hours ago, BloodRonin said:

That really depends. She can make any unit better if you need extra support. I moved her around a lot. Some stages she may be good on your dancer for extra heals, but I ended up using her with my mage knight toward the end to have another mage nuker that also could heal (but didn't lack mobility like sages do)

In my first playthrough I made the mistake to take only one healer + another unit with Mecaiah to chapter 10... thankfully I had plenty of vulneraries 😄