So... how do you train units in post-game?

DefyingFates

Skirmishes match your level, so all of those available to me now are for Advanced Lv 20 units. Tempest Trials also only gives EXP for Lv 40-50 runs. Some Skirmishes have enough breathing room to squeeze in one low-level unit to spam healing skills (via Micaiah or otherwise) but it feels like most are way too open with units that are way too aggressive for that too. Today for example, I spent a good 2 or so hours trying to complete just one map because of said openness/ aggro...ness. Part of this is definitely on me for only training up the wrong units (the only ones I feel comfortable using as enemy phasers are Alear and Diamant, with the rest usually needing help to score a single kill), but I was hoping to get some advice on training since I'm still not able to even beat the aforementioned Tempest Trials with my current team.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Mods, please feel free to close this thread if it's too similar to this one. I was wondering if there were any good general tips outside of just Skirmishes, but if Skirmishes really are the only way to go, then... eek.

Assuming this is non-maddening, there's the mechanic that lets you retain EXP after game over so you can just go into a skirmish, kill a guy or two then game over and keep the levels you gained. The main problem is that they do not retain SP gain.

It's pretty cheesy yeah, but it's too much of a headache to level someone like an untouched Jean at postgame

This also works on your main team as well if they need it. Some advice to speed it up to is to actually bring less units on skirmishes so you aren't babysitting your weaker guys and can skip turns and autoplay the skirmish. Since you're pretty confident in Alear, slap on Micaiah engraving on Wille Glanz, park them on an avoid tile and they'll be strong enough to solo skirmishes (unless enemies are all backup units)

Once you have one powerful unit it gets easier to level up everyone else

13 minutes ago, EaterOfFarro said:

Assuming this is non-maddening, there's the mechanic that lets you retain EXP after game over so you can just go into a skirmish, kill a guy or two then game over and keep the levels you gained. The main problem is that they do not retain SP gain.

Apparently you don't keep stat increases from the level-ups. That's probably a bug, but it makes cheesing like that a no-go, sadly.

15 minutes ago, EaterOfFarro said:

This also works on your main team as well if they need it. Some advice to speed it up to is to actually bring less units on skirmishes so you aren't babysitting your weaker guys and can skip turns and autoplay the skirmish. Since you're pretty confident in Alear, slap on Micaiah engraving on Wille Glanz, park them on an avoid tile and they'll be strong enough to solo skirmishes (unless enemies are all backup units)

But wouldn't that make all the EXP go to Alear though? What if I wanted to train up someone else? This is definitely something I'm going to keep in mind if I just want to farm gold though, so thank you for that~

22 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Apparently you don't keep stat increases from the level-ups. That's probably a bug, but it makes cheesing like that a no-go, sadly.

But wouldn't that make all the EXP go to Alear though? What if I wanted to train up someone else? This is definitely something I'm going to keep in mind if I just want to farm gold though, so thank you for that~

They definitely keep the EXP. I have done this method myself for multiple characters. You do not keep the EXP if you go to the title screen on game over. Whenever you want to stop you can still pick retry with retain EXP then just quit from the skirmish (or beat it normally). I have also lost an hour's worth of grinding by accidentally going to the title screen (mashing "B" too much on Game Over)

The solo skirmish method is to train up your units that are already good, but you want to cap their stats or farm SP. It's just faster and easier to solo or duo train units compared to playing skirmishes "normally". High DEF characters can get away with this too since there are many skirmishes with no tome users

Also skirmishes that appear in Tiki's paralogue also don't go past "Basic Class Level 19" so that's an option whenever it appears. You can also reset skirmish appearances by changing the Switch's clock (manually move the date ahead by a day)

Edited by EaterOfFarro

So far what I've been doing is:

Get Lineage on whoever (it only costs 150 SP and 30 quid so everyone should be able to inherit it at base and getting to level 5 with the leaders is only 400 bond fragments), use my bulky units I used during my run to body block and then have the unit(s) (normally I train 1 or 2 at most on a map) kill whoever from behind. I do this rather than using Micaiah since then you have to take gold into account and since I'm trying to min-max everyone rn cause why not, I really don't fancy having to worry about gold.

The method is slow but it has worked for me. I've managed to get Anna, Citrinne, Chloé and Lapis all up to level 20 promoted in the space of 3ish skirmishes. I also started throwing Tiki on them for stat gains. My goal is to at least get to level 20 and then second seal and go to level 20 again (which only Anna has done thus far since I've been using her to grind gold using her as a High Priest with Byleth and the Luck +12 skill to complete donations. She has maxed everything bar strength and defence lol)

18 minutes ago, Azz said:

Get Lineage on whoever (it only costs 150 SP and 30 quid so everyone should be able to inherit it at base and getting to level 5 with the leaders is only 400 bond fragments)

Lineage has the same EXP boost (20%) as Mentorship, right? If anything I'm under the impression that Byleth's skill is better since it also affects adjacent allies.

19 minutes ago, Azz said:

use my bulky units I used during my run to body block and then have the unit(s) (normally I train 1 or 2 at most on a map) kill whoever from behind.

20 minutes ago, Azz said:

The method is slow but it has worked for me. I've managed to get Anna, Citrinne, Chloé and Lapis all up to level 20 promoted in the space of 3ish skirmishes.

You really got them all maxed in just three skirmishes? Wow! How do you deal with archers or dagger uses attacking over your tank wall? And do you have trouble with the sheer number of enemies on each map, or are there very specific ones you train on?

Thank you very much for the advice! I hope Anna's making you a lot of money! I just upgraded Solm to max and am completely broke xD

On maddening there really isn't much you can do. I had so many favorite units fall behind. One thing I am going to do in my new maddening file, is to always clear reinforcements if able. I am also saving some emblem paralogues til after I get certain characters. (I did them all as soon as they were available last time)

1 hour ago, BloodRonin said:

Technically you can do this. Just takes a long while

Yeah I agree the post game really doesn't appeal much to me as it is. 

Just seems to me like everyone is focusing on skirmishes for grinding up materials and levels, and well yeah those are probably the most "fun" way to do it. But I'm trying to imagine what way is the fastest? 

Since you actually have to think about the skirmishes and they are hard they take me about 30 minutes or so to complete one. I think arena abuse might edge out to be slightly faster. 

Same with gold farming, could farm out encounters for paltry amounts of gold. Or could use wyvern riding and sell the useless items you get. 

Frankly I think if you've got the online membership picking up drops and selling those is the best way to grind gold. 

For Exp I think for any really low level units you want to raise up doing the arena until they can hold their own in a skirmish is probably the best way. 

Regardless I'll probably not bother with the post game much and just start a new file. 

7 hours ago, scigeek101 said:

Just do a level one tempest trial auto battle the first map, leave on the second and arena will be reset. 

Wait, really?! Does this reset the other facilities too? If so that's a huge way to farm both levels and supports! Thank you very much!

6 hours ago, BloodRonin said:

Technically you can do this. Just takes a long while

It sounds like looping Trials and the Arena is a known trick? My quest to ask as many questions as possible has been validated once again. Thank you for this, Ronin!

8 hours ago, scigeek101 said:

What about arena abuse? 

The Arena gives you Exp win or lose. And you can reset it by doing a tempest trial.

Just do a level one tempest trial auto battle the first map, leave on the second and arena will be reset. 

This doesn't work, at least not for me on hard/classic. Doing a full TT run resets facilities, but leaving after one battle doesn't.

"Doing a full TT run resets facilities, but leaving after one battle doesn't."

Mm you might be right. I could swear you could do it again if you left after one though.

Still could just do a level one fully on auto battle. Annoying though. 

3 hours ago, Florete said:

This doesn't work, at least not for me on hard/classic. Doing a full TT run resets facilities, but leaving after one battle doesn't.

Thank you for the heads-up!

3 hours ago, scigeek101 said:

Still could just do a level one fully on auto battle. Annoying though. 

But it's only three maps, so it doesn't add too much time, right?

The best way I've found with no DLC on Maddening is to use Micaiah on the unit you want to train in Skirmishes, as you stated. Everyone else that deploys is a trained unit, while the one you're training dedicates themselves to staff use and Great Sacrifice.

What can also help here is ensuring that you bring a chain guarding unit, if they have to protect the weaker one. Usually I find that helps too.

I'm unfamiliar with DLC. Cuz well it costs money, and I'm not planning on buying it yet. 😜 

19 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Lineage has the same EXP boost (20%) as Mentorship, right? If anything I'm under the impression that Byleth's skill is better since it also affects adjacent allies.

You really got them all maxed in just three skirmishes? Wow! How do you deal with archers or dagger uses attacking over your tank wall? And do you have trouble with the sheer number of enemies on each map, or are there very specific ones you train on?

Thank you very much for the advice! I hope Anna's making you a lot of money! I just upgraded Solm to max and am completely broke xD

Mentorship probably helps but I'm not arsed to grind to get that on everyone after having got Lineage already lol.

Yeah, I just got Boucheron from level 1 to level 13 in one skirmish. To deal with ranged units, normally I mark them all to see their range and position accordingly. Normally I have two walls of threeish units, one that works with my training unit, and one that stays behind and kills any stragglers that may be coming from the opposite direction that my training unit isn't really gonna be dealing with. The numbers can be intimidating and normally I prefer maps that have somewhat decent chokepoints or have healing/unbreakable tiles that give some extra avoid. I really only use maps that all your units start together and there aren't too many directions where enemies are coming from. Solm Palace is quite good since you start in between the throne room and the outer area so the training unit is stuck between two walls of three and kills the weakened throne room enemies and then moves downs to the enemies from the other area of the palace that are left after the throne room is clear.

As for Anna, yeah she makes a good amount of money. She's so OP that she can clear a map on her own, with Byleth and a fully maxed Elsurge/Elwind with 13th emblem/Sigurd engraves to help her avoid. She has max 39 luck as a High priest, alongside HP/Luck +10 and Luck +12, she has 59 luck (I think boosts from skills max at 20 for some reason since it should be 61 but it's only  boosted by 20), so that's 59%. Normally I get about 5000~ each battle with Anna.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

Solm Palace is quite good since you start in between the throne room and the outer area so the training unit is stuck between two walls of three and kills the weakened throne room enemies and then moves downs to the enemies from the other area of the palace that are left after the throne room is clear.

I just did a fight in Solm Palace for Anna funnily enough. I may have been a bit too paranoid to let her take all the kills, but she only had a few levels to go until Lv 20 so I guess it wasn't too bad. I'll try and be a bit braver in future battles. My Louis' currently a Lv 3 General (promoted at Lv 11-ish so internally he's only ~Lv 14) so I may try this method for him.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

and a fully maxed Elsurge/Elwind

I'm amazed to see someone using Elsurge. Is it really that good or are you comboing it with Thyrsus? Also, how's Elwind treating you? I've been using the Fire and Thundr lines respectively, but Wind tomes have lower Wt, right? It'd be nice to be able to double enemies again so I may try using them as well.

In both cases, thank you for the advice! And wish me luck!

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

I just did a fight in Solm Palace for Anna funnily enough. I may have been a bit too paranoid to let her take all the kills, but she only had a few levels to go until Lv 20 so I guess it wasn't too bad. I'll try and be a bit braver in future battles. My Louis' currently a Lv 3 General (promoted at Lv 11-ish so internally he's only ~Lv 14) so I may try this method for him.

I'm amazed to see someone using Elsurge. Is it really that good or are you comboing it with Thyrsus? Also, how's Elwind treating you? I've been using the Fire and Thundr lines respectively, but Wind tomes have lower Wt, right? It'd be nice to be able to double enemies again so I may try using them as well.

In both cases, thank you for the advice! And wish me luck!

Oh yeah, Elsurge with Thyrsus is important. I primarily use Elwind now since Anna has good enough magic to one shot with it, but Thyrsus with Elsurge used to be need to one shot. Yeah, wind has lower weight. Elfire would probably be fine, since it actually only has one more weight than Elwind, but Elwind is sufficient now and I don't want to waste funds on forging an Elfire now lol

24 minutes ago, Azz said:

Oh yeah, Elsurge with Thyrsus is important.

I vaguely recall wanting to try the interaction out (I assume Elsurge still has guaranteed accuracy with Thyrsus) yesterday but deciding against it. I should have an Elsurge so I'll try it out!

25 minutes ago, Azz said:

since it actually only has one more weight than Elwind, but Elwind is sufficient now

This is another reason why I chose not to use Elwind, but at this point I'll take anything I can get. Hopefully I still have one of these too. Thanks yet again, Azz!!