Let's talk about the paralogues (especially if you haven't played the game yet)

Jotari

5 hours ago, TheHBK said:

Weird to see people surprised by the 3H choice. It's the first mission which diverges based on your house choice (all previous missions are the exact same even if there is a slight variation at Gronder 1.0, or the training mission if you wanna be pedantic).

It's the same as with Fates logic. It may not be the most memorable mission (debatable), but it's where the story actually diverges. Makes sense to use it.

I'm surprised for the following reasons:

1. It only diverges if you pick the Black Eagles house; it doesn't diverge for any other house.

2. These maps are supposed to be important to the emblem; the 3H choice was only important to Byleth if the Black Eagle house is picked, as it's only then that Edelgard being the Flame Emperor matters to them.

I agree that Gronder Field wouldn't make sense for Byleth (it would make sense for the House Leaders, but it only being in two routes hurts it); that's the reason I instead suggested the chapter where Kronya and Solon are fought.

8 hours ago, TheHBK said:

Weird to see people surprised by the 3H choice. It's the first mission which diverges based on your house choice (all previous missions are the exact same even if there is a slight variation at Gronder 1.0, or the training mission if you wanna be pedantic).

It should have been. But the Black Eagles choice comes after that mission. You always fight Edelgard regardless. The first real change is the following monastery chapter. The Part 2 Monastery Defense chapter is also, if I recall correctly, in all four routes and a significant place for Byleth, so that could have worked pretty well too.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:
Spoiler

I actually found Leif's map one of the easier paralogues. Though I admit I did cheese it a bit by using a mage flier to trigger his ai early and make him come to me after taking out the ballista on the west bank. The hardest paralogue I'm finding is Marth, at least right now. I spent all morning trying to beat it and lost after like three hours of dodging around various choke points. The stats are just so crazy high! It's basically impossible to one round any of the enemies, and even with speed taker boosted to the max I can barely double anyone.

Spoiler

Interesting, I may try that tactic on my next playthrough. 

Marth is somewhere in the middle for me as if you do everything it's pretty tough, but Marth himself I didn't find too hard. I ended up cheesing him a bit since I lured him out with Diamant and Ike and not only did he not really damage him, but he also got himself locked down in the doorway so I was able to pick him off with my 2-3 range units and some chain attacks. 

Edited by Medeus

3 minutes ago, Medeus said:
  Hide contents

Interesting, I may try that tactic on my next playthrough. 

Marth is somewhere in the middle for me as if you do everything it's pretty tough, but Marth himself I didn't find too hard. I ended up cheesing him a bit since I lured him out with Diamant and Ike and not only did he not really damage him, but he also got himself locked down in the doorway so I was able to pick him off with my 2-3 range units and some chain attacks. 

Oh yeah, Marth isn't the issue at all. I could take down a HP bar with a single Astra Storm. It's the hoards of units around him with maxed out defense and res and attack values over 50 that pose a threat.

Hold on I'm watching Sigurd's paralogue, and what is that? No way that's the Prologue, it's just the Prologue's music. That's totally Chapter 3 in terms of layout, down to the north bridge letting you cross the river in the final stages. Meaning I guessed FIVE out of nine. Great choice too. It's the last time Sigurd sees his wife, his best friend, his sister, and needs to leave his home for what ends up being more than a year. It's the beginning of the end for him. It's the moment it stops being a story about a bold hero fighting and bringing peace to all the land (aka: A Fire Emblem story). The conclusion of Chapter 5 would have felt tonally random and undeserved if the story hadn't been this bleak and depressing for the previous six hours. God FE4 rocks.

6 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Hold on I'm watching Sigurd's paralogue, and what is that? No way that's the Prologue, it's just the Prologue's music. That's totally Chapter 3 in terms of layout, down to the north bridge letting you cross the river in the final stages. Meaning I guessed FIVE out of nine. Great choice too. It's the last time Sigurd sees his wife, his best friend, his sister, and needs to leave his home for what ends up being more than a year. It's the beginning of the end for him. It's the moment it stops being a story about a bold hero fighting and bringing peace to all the land (aka: A Fire Emblem story). The conclusion of Chapter 5 would have felt tonally random and undeserved if the story hadn't been this bleak and depressing for the previous six hours. God FE4 rocks.

It may be similar to Chapter 3 but it is definitely Chapter 10 as it even has Juliu & Ishtar replacements.

Sigurd-Chalphy Castle. Though since it's not a tile for tile recreation I actually had a bit of a hard time seeing it. I think it's mostly actually based on Chapter 10 rather than the prologue, as you approach from the south. Given Genealogy's map sizes there was never going to be a great way of faithfully doing Sigurd's paralogue. Though Emotionally I really would have loved to see them set it in Barhara as there's really little more emotional than freaking dying. Though in terms of character any of his five chapters, except maybe Selisea could have been easily justified.

You know, they actually could have just made a big map, with several castles, in real homage to Genealogy. There really wouldn't have been anything stopping them from doing it. I honestly really wish they had the balls to do it. Looking at the FE4 maps, if they wanted to cut it down a bit they could have used chapter 3 but without the top landmass. that's starting in one castle and siezing 2 others. Chapter 5 would have been the most iconic though. Maybe other people wouldn't have liked it but it would have been awesome and definitely possible.

2 hours ago, Galap said:

You know, they actually could have just made a big map, with several castles, in real homage to Genealogy. There really wouldn't have been anything stopping them from doing it. I honestly really wish they had the balls to do it. Looking at the FE4 maps, if they wanted to cut it down a bit they could have used chapter 3 but without the top landmass. that's starting in one castle and siezing 2 others. Chapter 5 would have been the most iconic though. Maybe other people wouldn't have liked it but it would have been awesome and definitely possible.

A tile for tile remake would just be exhausting. Movement valued in this game are already lower than average, and by nature of the paralogue, you'd lose your most effective way of compensating for low movement. Though it would be kind of fun to just warp to Barhara from the starting point.