An exhaustive list of all Fire Emblem names that have been reused

Jotari

So I was about to add Galle the Dragonlord and Gale the emperors of Jugdral, but appearently that latter character is called Bishop Gair now? Has that name been localized now or something? Does someone mention it in Heroes? Seems like and unlikely reference in passing to be used in Heroes given he's a backstory only character not really relevant to any of the characters.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:17 PM, Jotari said:

Well I think she was called Fa in the fan translations, so that's probably how her Japanese name is meant to be pronunced, but for English linguistics I don't see how an "-ae" would result in a short "a" sound. "ae" is usually a "ay" sound. Like aesthetics or  sundae. Though ae does make a weird u sound in the name Michael (you know that's a really common name and really phonetically weird for English with it's hard ch and weird ae, should be Mykull) so who knows with the horrible status of English phonology. She's in Heroes though, and even has a duo unit, so surely her name has been vocalized.

Having just pulled an Ascended Idunn and listened to her status quotes, she does mention Fae by name and it is indeed pronounced with a long "a" like the others.

Rosado (Engage) and Rose (Binding Blade). Percy (Fates) and Perceval (Binding Blade). Zephia (Engage) and Zephiel (Elibe). (OK, that last one is slightly sketchy since apparently one is derive from "sepia" and the other from "zephyr", but they certainly look close enough to me.)

• Victor, father of Arvis; and Victor, twin brother of Vincent; and Ignatz Victor, painter from Leicester (whose first name is also a variant on the two Ignatius already on the list).
  • Layla, singer in Cyrkensia; and Leila, Ositian spy.
  • Eleanora, mother of Eliwood; and Eleonora, actress and mirage master. (These are also related to Elen, Elena, and Lena, but are even more similar than any of them.)
  • Nina, daughter of Niles; and Nyna, princess of Archanea. Nino, adopted daughter of Sonia, is also related.
  • Dorothy, Etrurian archer; and Dorothea, Adrestrian songstress.
  • Oliver, corrupt Begnion senator; and Olivia, Feroxi dancer.
  • Louise, wife of Pent; and Louis, retainer to Céline.
  • Grégoire, Count Varley; and Gregor, Feroxi mercenary.
  • Mark, advisor to Lyn; and Marcus, advisor to Eliwood (why were these two in the same game?); and Marcia, Begnion pegasus knight. (Marth is also related to these three, albeit more distantly.)
  • Cecil, Altean knight; and Cecilia, Etrurian general.
  • Felix, frenemy of Dimitri; and Felicia, Corrin's maid.
  • Jakob, Corrin's butler; and Jake, Anna's sweetheart.
  • You already have Leo and Leonardo, but there's also Leonie, Jeralt's fangirl, as a gender variant.
  • And finally... Petra, Brigid princess; and Shanty Pete, legendary pirate.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:
  • Victor, father of Arvis; and Victor, twin brother of Vincent; and Ignatz Victor, painter from Leicester (whose first name is also a variant on the two Ignatius already on the list).
  • Eleanora, mother of Eliwood; and Eleonora, actress and mirage master. (These are also related to Elen, Elena, and Lena, but are even more similar than any of them.)
  • Nina, daughter of Niles; and Nyna, princess of Archanea. Nino, adopted daughter of Sonia, is also related.
  • Mark, advisor to Lyn; and Marcus, advisor to Eliwood (why were these two in the same game?); and Marcia, Begnion pegasus knight. (Marth is also related to these three, albeit more distantly.)
  • You already have Leo and Leonardo, but there's also Leonie, Jeralt's fangirl, as a gender variant.

Oh boy. A lot to work with here.

I feel a bit embarrassed missing this one. I know Arvis's father is Victor and I remember the bandit twin's name is Victor as he has a quote "Victor by name, Victor by nature" which I like for how arrogant it makes him sound. Didn't know Ignatz's family name was Victor though. Nice to have more names that are definite 1 to 1s, though I guess Arvis's father probably isn't technically localized.

Yeah, that tracks.

Ah, curses. I need to go suddenly. I'll check out the rest of these later.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

I know you're not counting different translations, but if you were then we could also include Marks, Xander's Japanese name; and Marc, the Morgans' Japanese name (which if I'm not mistaken, was meant specifically to reference Mark, with Marc being the child of another self-insert tactician and all). I guess most fans knew this already, but if not, enjoy the brain food.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:08 PM, Jotari said:

I feel a bit embarrassed missing this one. I know Arvis's father is Victor and I remember the bandit twin's name is Victor as he has a quote "Victor by name, Victor by nature" which I like for how arrogant it makes him sound. Didn't know Ignatz's family name was Victor though. Nice to have more names that are definite 1 to 1s, though I guess Arvis's father probably isn't technically localized.

Weirdly, I had no idea that Arvis's father was called Victor, since I've never actually played Genealogy (or any of the other non-localised games). I actually noticed you had the two Ignatiuses on your list, which made me think about how Ignatz was a variant form of Ignatius, which then made me remember that his family name was Victor, which then made me think "wait a minute, wasn't there a bandit twin called Victor as well?" At which point I went to the wiki to double check my memory and was met with a disambiguation page.

Actually, thinking about it, the wiki's list of disambiguation pages might be a good place to look for more duplicated names. Let's see, apparently there's an Eve in Genealogy and an Ève in Engage, a Liza in both Genealogy and Shadow Dragon, and a Mueller in both Thracia and Gaiden/Echoes. Yeah, not going to even pretend that I know who any of those are. (Well, OK, I know Ève because Engage is still fresh in my mind.) But oh, this one is cool. There's a boss called Jamil in Gaiden/Echoes, and another boss called Jamil in Awakening, and the Awakening map is basically a remake of the Gaiden one. That's cool and I can't believe I'd not noticed it before.

6 hours ago, lenticular said:

Weirdly, I had no idea that Arvis's father was called Victor, since I've never actually played Genealogy (or any of the other non-localised games). I actually noticed you had the two Ignatiuses on your list, which made me think about how Ignatz was a variant form of Ignatius, which then made me remember that his family name was Victor, which then made me think "wait a minute, wasn't there a bandit twin called Victor as well?" At which point I went to the wiki to double check my memory and was met with a disambiguation page.

Actually, thinking about it, the wiki's list of disambiguation pages might be a good place to look for more duplicated names. Let's see, apparently there's an Eve in Genealogy and an Ève in Engage, a Liza in both Genealogy and Shadow Dragon, and a Mueller in both Thracia and Gaiden/Echoes. Yeah, not going to even pretend that I know who any of those are. (Well, OK, I know Ève because Engage is still fresh in my mind.) But oh, this one is cool. There's a boss called Jamil in Gaiden/Echoes, and another boss called Jamil in Awakening, and the Awakening map is basically a remake of the Gaiden one. That's cool and I can't believe I'd not noticed it before.

Oh that's a great resource. Not sure how I'll sort Eve and Ève. I don't exactly have a category for different pronunication with same spelling. I guess same pronunciation with different spelling as the mid tier works, even though it isn't true. Bloody diacritics. Maybe I should just put it down as linguistic difference.

And I actually did know about Gaiden Jamil as he's a slight disappointment to me that they didn't make him a bigger character in Shadows of Valentia. Because

A)He has Earth Powers

B)Alm and Celica are seperated by an Earth Quake

C)They decided to integrate this contrivence into the plot by making it the work of a Duma Faithful.

And then they just never connected A to B & C. Instead they gave the job of C to a random generic Archanist rather than the established late game  boss that explicitly already has Earthquake powers.

Never caught they reused the name for Awakening along with the map though, that's pretty cool.

A lot to do later, still haven't any added any of these to the OP.

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh that's a great resource. Not sure how I'll sort Eve and Ève. I don't exactly have a category for different pronunication with same spelling. I guess same pronunciation with different spelling as the mid tier works, even though it isn't true. Bloody diacritics. Maybe I should just put it down as linguistic difference.

I'd probably go with exact same name, even though it isn't quite. But Firene seems to be aiming for a French inspiration with its names, and (as far as I'm aware) French tends to treat accented letters as being essentially the same letter as the unaccented version, as opposed to some languages that say, no, they're completely different letters.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

A lot to do later, still haven't any added any of these to the OP.

Well, just to add even more work for you, I've gone and thought of another. This is your fault for mentioning him in another thread and reminding me that he exists. Kurth, from Genealogy (which the wiki says is the confirmed localisation through Heroes), and Kurth, alias of Kurthnaga. Which probably goes down as an intentional reference, I guess? Though a really weird one if it is.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

I'd probably go with exact same name, even though it isn't quite. But Firene seems to be aiming for a French inspiration with its names, and (as far as I'm aware) French tends to treat accented letters as being essentially the same letter as the unaccented version, as opposed to some languages that say, no, they're completely different letters.

Well, just to add even more work for you, I've gone and thought of another. This is your fault for mentioning him in another thread and reminding me that he exists. Kurth, from Genealogy (which the wiki says is the confirmed localisation through Heroes), and Kurth, alias of Kurthnaga. Which probably goes down as an intentional reference, I guess? Though a really weird one if it is.

Yeahn I've been thinking on how to handle him. Since his name is also based off Naga. But it's clearly not either of them too. Same name or linguistic variation kind of comes down to "could theae characters be reaaonable confused if overhearing a conversation" which Kurtnaga really couldn't. His alias though, I didn't think of that, and I probably will mention as I was obligated to include aliases thanks to Selena.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 12:08 AM, Jotari said:

Data mined stuff, I'll wait until we actually get it (don't let me forget!)

Well, we've actually got it now, and most of it was right. Based on the trailer for the Engage DLC, we can now add:

• Gregory to go alongside Gregor and Grégoire
  • Madeline to go with Madelyn, mother of Lyn
  • Nil to go with Nils and Niles

(Nel is also possibly related to Eleanora, Elena, and all that bunch, since Nell is a common diminutive form for them, but that is probably a step too far.)

5 hours ago, lenticular said:

Well, we've actually got it now, and most of it was right. Based on the trailer for the Engage DLC, we can now add:

• Gregory to go alongside Gregor and Grégoire
  • Madeline to go with Madelyn, mother of Lyn
  • Nil to go with Nils and Niles

(Nel is also possibly related to Eleanora, Elena, and all that bunch, since Nell is a common diminutive form for them, but that is probably a step too far.)

Looks like I'm going to have to get that DLC eventually.

• 1 month later...

So I've been silently updating this list as I found more and more examples, but I've just notice one that's actually rather funny and I'm surprised no one has made the connection before. Marth's ally Abel, probably has a name that sounds exactly like the Archanean general Eibel. It's not E like evil or Ei like Einstein, the actual katana used for him is エイ. Which makes the same 'a' sound as Abel. So assuming his name isn't meant to be Aberu or something, ya, the two guys have the same name. The funny part is that these two characters appear in the same chapter initially fighting on the same side. So in universe they are in very close proximity to each other and could conceivably be referred to in the same conversation. Something like "I don't like Abel. His heart clearly isn't in this battle." "Is that General Eibel of Archanea or Sir Abel of Altea?" is a conversation that very well could happen. It's not something that would crop up in Japanese though, as they kind of have Abel's name wrong (or at least not right to English, might be more accurate to Ancient Hebrew or something). We very clearly see the Cain and Abel reference so we'd pronounce his name just like the word able, like able to do something. But in Japanese his name sounds more like Abble, rhyming with Apple.

Edited by Jotari