FE2 question about Alm and Celica's promotion

Zapp Branniglenn

So I just got Celica's promotion and noticed that her HP stayed at 24 instead of raising it to 36. That's the suggested base HP that every FE2 resource claims the Princess class has. So, okay, not surprising to discover false info on an old, underplayed game. But then I started to get worried. What if the info was correct and the story based promotions just fail to raise that characters' stats to the class bases? I'm asking because of Alm. I haven't been raising him, and you need him to kill the final boss. People who played Echoes a lot know that Alm has to get an unrealistic amount of level ups to surpass the Hero's base stats, so it would be a waste to feed him kills. Has anyone who played FE2 know if that exploit works for him in the original? I haven't touched his Act 3 campaign at all, so if it turns out he gains nothing from promoting, then I guess I'd better start feeding him exp while it's still possible.

I'm playing an unpatched rom, so I know it's not a bug introduced by a patch.

I am intensely curious to see what happens if you don't level him up, so even if no one can answer your question, I hope you continue the game without touching Alm just to see for sure. For what it's worth, Fighter Alm has 10atk and Falchion has 10mt, which means a completely untouched Alm can deal exactly 0 damage against Duma's  20 defense. Unless Falchion deals bonus damage to Duma, which I feel like it might, because Hero Alm only has 6 atk over Fighter Alm and it feels like Alm deals a lot of damage on Duma. If Falchion does deal effective damage against Duma then you're probably good to finish the game even with base stats fighter Alm as you can rig a crit with him using Celica.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I am intensely curious to see what happens if you don't level him up, so even if no one can answer your question, I hope you continue the game without touching Alm just to see for sure. For what it's worth, Fighter Alm has 10atk and Falchion has 10mt, which means a completely untouched Alm can deal exactly 0 damage against Duma's  20 defense. Unless Falchion deals bonus damage to Duma, which I feel like it might, because Hero Alm only has 6 atk over Fighter Alm and it feels like Alm deals a lot of damage on Duma. If Falchion does deal effective damage against Duma then you're probably good to finish the game even with base stats fighter Alm as you can rig a crit with him using Celica.

If Alm stays beside Celica,he will make 5 atk ignore Duma's defence,even though he is 0 atk,and support of Celica will cause 100% crit.In other word,15 damage to Duma.

6 hours ago, httpwzj said:

Alm can get stats up from CC and Celica can't.

Gotcha. Guess I have nothing to worry about.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I am intensely curious to see what happens if you don't level him up, so even if no one can answer your question, I hope you continue the game without touching Alm just to see for sure. 

I think Alm was already tainted with a level up. When I revisited shrines I just hit auto battle and then throttle the game at 5x speed. I'll keep the support bonus between Alm and Celica in mind for the finale though. That sounds useful.

7 hours ago, httpwzj said:

Alm can get stats up from CC and Celica can't.

1090746600_.thumb.png.328f5ddcde425d0f7744de8301b8467a.png2094342528_.thumb.png.d77c0435740356018beab76c9c204625.png

I understand what you mean, but what does CC suggest? Clearly it's the promotion, but I'm not sure what CC stands for.

13 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Class change?

I just came to that conclusion myself. I guess it wasn't obvious because class change is usually a term reserved for lateral changes rather than promotions.