Build advice/Mechanic Question

GawainBS

I've thoroughly enjoyed Awakening, but never got into Fates. I've got the Birthright edition. The castle part was a bit too overwhelming.

I want to give it another go. I'd like my Avatar to be a Fighter/Mage with good offense and good staying power.

Boon Speed & Bane Luck seems to be the way to go and I think Dark Mage would be a good pick for Talent, since Dark Knight has stat growths in all stats and has both melee (you get a good sword, IIRC) and magic and it has good movement.

All the Hoshido classes can be accessed via Heart Seals, correct? So no need to pick one of those as talent?

Am I overlooking something?

Which skills should I aim for? The Life Force from Dark Knight was good, IIRC, and perhaps Astra from Sword Master? (The five hits?) Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, GawainBS said:

All the Hoshido classes can be accessed via Heart Seals, correct? So no need to pick one of those as talent?

Am I overlooking something?

The part where you have to build supports with everyone of the same gender as Corrin. Which is impractical as hell. Oh, and needing Friendship seals. 

Also, speaking of building supports, you need to get an A with Kaze before chapter 15 is completed, else he will die.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Mages can tend to have good staying power if they are a bit blessed with Defense and Resistance, luckily the Hoshidan Tomes can give good defensive boosts, like the Horse Spirit, i would recommend you go some sort of Mage, then maybe grab Vantage, try grabbing Tomefaire, a good offensive skill like Dragon Fang or Luna, a defensive skill like Pavise and the last skill can be whatever you want, if the online still works for Fates, look around in other peoples castles and see what kind of skills they have on their avatar, if you have a good sum of gold or grinded the gold dlc, you can always buy yourself a nice skill build

On 8/18/2023 at 12:37 PM, GawainBS said:

Alright, thanks! I'll just need Support A with characters with the classes I actually want skills from.

Do you have any advice regarding which skills such a build would need?7

On 8/19/2023 at 8:10 AM, GawainBS said:

I'd like my Avatar to be a Fighter/Mage with good offense and good staying power.

Hmm... to be honest, this is hard for me to answer, mainly because of the split classes, but also because there is no post-game to put this to use in.