Would you like a more difficult Warriors style game?

I've sunk around 50 hours into Hopes so far. (Blame my desire to see every support possible, alot of it is support grinding, so I haven't actually finished a single route yet-.)

I'd kinda like to see a more difficult game with most of the same mechanics, just with less of the "filler" enemies that aren't much of a threat, like when you play a chapter underlevelled/go for a bonus boss (Such as the first Byleth fight after the prologue) where you have to constantly block and dodge to get hits in (And can't spam combat arts since your weapons don't have massive durability yet.)

To me at least, this is honestly a really fun thing when it happens, wearing down a foe who can equally take you down. (It's just the nature of Warriors gameplay means this really only happens when you use an underlevelled unit a good while into the game.)

I really like older team-based shooters (Stuff like Conflict: Desert Storm, Deadly Dozen, older Tom Clancy games and Brothers in Arms) and I honestly find "underlevelled" Warriors gameplay to be a fun tactical-lite action game, in a similar vein of ordering troops around, (most of these games actually also had a max character count of 4) fighting battles yourself as well as switching control to different characters as the situation calls for it. (If anything, the fact Hopes actually has side objectives, something these other games lacked in, means the battles are honestly more fun to an extent.

Constantly switching between characters to clear the map as quickly as possible, constantly opening the menu to give new orders to the units I'm not controlling and then getting in a prolonged duel with a foe are cool, but once you start getting levelled up due to the infinite grinding/buying levels (Which happens inevitably if you're grinding out supports i feel) it goes back down to mindless. (And based on what I hear, this is the "norm" for warriors gameplay.) 

Still enjoyable but I'd like to see an limited grinding FE game in this style, where the prolonged duels between foes with combat art durabiltiy needing to be conserved due to limited refills be more of the "norm" for the gameplay rather than due to using underlevelled units. 

Edited by Samz707

6 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I'd kinda like to see a more difficult game with most of the same mechanics, just with less of the "filler" enemies that aren't much of a threat

Honestly, this is an great idea. But it kind of pushes it farther into being an boss rush unless you give the enemies an wider variety of moves that they can use

Edited by Armchair General

I think Three Hopes could have done with an additional setting aimed at high level characters and NG+. Particularly one that makes enemies go for allied forts more, like in the first FEW.

But also, traditional difficulty isn't really the point of the genre, and anyone asking for peons to be more aggressive is REALLY missing the point. Basically, Warriors has a unique power fantasy niche, and way too many vocal weirdos in the Warriors community want to get rid of that niche and turn it into (an inferior version of) every other character action game.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I think Three Hopes could have done with an additional setting aimed at high level characters and NG+. Particularly one that makes enemies go for allied forts more, like in the first FEW.

But also, traditional difficulty isn't really the point of the genre, and anyone asking for peons to be more aggressive is REALLY missing the point. Basically, Warriors has a unique power fantasy niche, and way too many vocal weirdos in the Warriors community want to get rid of that niche and turn it into (an inferior version of) every other character action game.

Most character action games don't really have any tactical elements on the level of ordering troops around/swapping between characters. 

I don't hate FEW3H but I do wish there was a slightly better difficulty. (It sounds like Maddening is clearly for NG+ and that level of grind is not something I'm interested in.) 

It doesn't ruin the game for me but it does make me wonder what we could have for a real-time FE game that's willing to be a little harder and focused more on individual duels rather than cutting down hordes.

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Most character action games don't really have any tactical elements on the level of ordering troops around/swapping between characters. 

I don't hate FEW3H but I do wish there was a slightly better difficulty. (It sounds like Maddening is clearly for NG+ and that level of grind is not something I'm interested in.) 

It doesn't ruin the game for me but it does make me wonder what we could have for a real-time FE game that's willing to be a little harder and focused more on individual duels rather than cutting down hordes.

Okay, but "individual duels" rather than "cutting down hordes" is the polar opposite of what Warriors is. It's like saying "you know, I really appreciate what this whole Pokemon thing is going for, but I really think the game would be better if it focused on shutting down all these Pokemon dogfights." 

I'm guessing you're asking for something a bit more like a Mount and Blade or Kingdom Under Fire. Which, you know, okay, that might also be cool. But I want Warriors to be Warriors, and mowing down hordes is very much what makes it unique. 

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Okay, but "individual duels" rather than "cutting down hordes" is the polar opposite of what Warriors is. It's like saying "you know, I really appreciate what this whole Pokemon thing is going for, but I really think the game would be better if it focused on shutting down all these Pokemon dogfights." 

I'm guessing you're asking for something a bit more like a Mount and Blade or Kingdom Under Fire. Which, you know, okay, that might also be cool. But I want Warriors to be Warriors, and mowing down hordes is very much what makes it unique. 

This holds true for me too. Warriors games have always been the best when you can just turn off your brain and enjoy. I do agree that there is nothing wrong with the option for harder or more challenging content if wanted.