So i used the time between exams and the new semester, and now a significant time into said semester, to give a crack at making an FE9 randomizer. What i ended up with was a Character Editor/Randomizer for Windows.
What I’ve made is an editor/randomizer for FE9 that can be used to edit these parts of the character entries:
· Weapon Ranks --- Which ones you can equip is still dictated by the class
· Weapons --- Only exchanging, no adding
· Items --- Only exchanging, no adding
· Skills --- Only exchanging, no adding
· Models --- Changing class automatically picks out matching models
· Name ID --- Which name in the files to use
You can also increase enemy growth rates, either to all stats, only Strength/Magic/Skill/Speed, or only Strength/Magic
For the randomizing, there are
The randomizer creates a log with the changed values in it, as well as one with only the growths for avoiding spoilers.
Bases and Growths both swap Str and Mag so the higher one matches the class’s weapon type.
Class randomizing has some nuances: A character’s highest weapon rank is applied to the new class’s primary weapon, and the last item in their inventory becomes an Iron weapon for their new class. Laguz classes are handled by counting 1 laguz level = 2 beorc levels, and weapon ranks are assigned by level too. Laguz have a Laguz Stone as their starting weapon.
Marcia and Jill are moved to appear in spots where they can be reached without flight. (Thanks /u/PokecheckHozu for the help figuring this one out)
I advise against making Shinon a laguz, as his re-recruitment leaves him declawed. The randomizer heeds this advice.
If you run in to any bugs or issues, or want help with editing FE9 outside of what this editor can do, feel free to comment here, or ping me on the Fire Emblem subreddit discord.
The editor/randomizer (You need everything in the folder): https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsfU3qRjcTTdhi8Mglgc0qgyEr-C
The source code on Github: https://github.com/jespoketheepic/FE9-Character-Editor-and-Randomizer
You need two other tools to use this. For extracting files from a .iso/.gcm; GCTool: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GC-Tool
and for rebuilding the finished product back into an iso; GCRebuilder: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/619/
I posted my notes in a post on FEU: https://feuniverse.us/t/fe9-file-structure-notes/5020
- Fixed enemy growth increase instead setting them to 0
- Illyana should be fixed now?
I added a fixing case for updating to v1.1 without re-randomizing: Open the new version of the editor, go to Illyana, press apply, set the enemy growth to 0, then save and quit. That should fix everything up, except Illyana past her recruitment. You are then free to open the editor back up to (now for real) re-apply the enemy growth increase. You can then re-build the iso with the fixes, it will work with the old save.
- The system.cmp simultaneous access issue should be fixed now.
- Skill randomizing, fixed the main bug, might be some bugs hiding under it still, idk.
- Ike can’t become classes that can’t fight.
- Fixed an NA version exclusive issue where skill randomizing went completely haywire.
- Lords and Thieves can now promote
- Randomizing now makes the laguz royals no longer transform when they arrive, to prevent them from de-promoting into beorc classes. I can sadly not edit this for each individually as it is the same cutscene for all three.
- Fixed an issue where the enormous HP growths of base game Laguz were counting negative to their growth total. I also put some new overflow protection on the growth randomizing.
- Removed all the unused Mages/Sages from the random selection. Increased the appearance odds of the standard ones to be higher, but it still results in less overabundance of magic units.
- Gatrie now also can’t become a laguz, like Shinon, again to prevent literal declawing upon rejoining.
- Known issue: Valkyries that start promoted don’t get swords for some reason.
- Known issue: Geoffrey always gets bow access for some reason? Use them at your own risk, it can crash in various ways.