FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

I'd assume even though it's on Ike, it involves Micaiah. SHe's the one that promootes again before the tower.

Read the posts carefully, Ike does have two event promotions. The second one most likely just isn't used.

But how can we remove these preventing skills in order to let Ike,Micaiah and Sothe promote just like other units?

Try replacing them with redundant skills. You might be able to just zero them out, but it might affect how the game reads the character data.

You also need to remove the hidden skill "EVENT_CC" from the characters if you want them to ever promote. I'm not really sure what you could give them instead. Maybe a duplicate Shove/Canto?

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's actually some (presumedly) unused script right before entering the tower where Yune promotes Ike. I guess they thought promoting then would be too late and decided for him to promote a bit earlier.

Yes! Those are the exact lines I saw when Yune decided to promote Ike. I actually laughed when I saw that because of how casual they were about the promotion and how Ike ran off directly after. Yune then immediately auto promotes herlself per normal script.

Try replacing them with redundant skills. You might be able to just zero them out, but it might affect how the game reads the character data.

I've only done this via Gecko OS, but 0'ing them out works fine. As well as replacing it with some other skill. (Personally, I replaced it with White Tide on Micy. That was a cool mechanic that you don't get to play with until too late in the game.

And I've found that so long as the character doesn't have the hidden don't promote skill, they'll totally ignore the auto-promote event. Ergo I've taken a Tier 1 Micy to part 3 using this technique. However, I don't recall if Micaiah automatically reacquires her don't-promote skill after making Light Sage, seeing as she has a second event promotion. I believe she does, however as if memory serves Goldie pointed out that the skill is at a different address the second time.

And I've found that so long as the character doesn't have the hidden don't promote skill, they'll totally ignore the auto-promote event. Ergo I've taken a Tier 1 Micy to part 3 using this technique. However, I don't recall if Micaiah automatically reacquires her don't-promote skill after making Light Sage, seeing as she has a second event promotion. I believe she does, however as if memory serves Goldie pointed out that the skill is at a different address the second time.

I'm not sure if you saw my post that I made in reply to nocturnal YL, but the "no promotion" skill is labelled EVENT_CC (for "event promotion").

Logically, Micaiah shouldn't lose this skill upon becoming Light Sage, since she needs it to stop becoming a Light Priestess. I'm not sure why the skill would move somewhere else in the memory, if there's even a reason.

EDIT

Maybe it moved because she gained the HIGHER skill (which shows she's Tier 2)?

Edited by VincentASM

I'm not sure if you saw my post that I made in reply to nocturnal YL, but the "no promotion" skill is labelled EVENT_CC (for "event promotion").

Logically, Micaiah shouldn't lose this skill upon becoming Light Sage, since she needs it to stop becoming a Light Priestess. I'm not sure why the skill would move somewhere else in the memory, if there's even a reason.

EDIT

Maybe it moved because she gained the HIGHER skill (which shows she's Tier 2)?

I did read it, however I was unsure if EVENT_CC stood for something else, (Event Capture Companion?, one of the random possibilities that popped into my mind as the CC threw me off), so I took what I saw as the safe route and kept referring to the skill as I had known. At least in that method, I couldn't explicitly confuse it with another skill.

02 00 0B 00 - Unknown

00 03 24 5E Pointer -> PID_IKE - Person ID, determines who the character is

00 03 03 5F Pointer -> MPID_IKE

00 02 FA 34 Pointer -> MNPID_IKE

00 02 A1 DE Pointer -> FID_IKE - Face ID, determines portrait

00 02 B7 66 Pointer -> JID_BRAVE - Job ID, usually doesn't do anything

00 03 42 D6 Pointer -> tellius - Affinity

00 03 32 8A Pointer -> S----------- - Weapon ranks

00 03 37 66 Pointer -> SID_HERO - Skill ID, determines skills (can be a few or none)

00 03 36 24 Pointer -> SID_EQ_A - Skill ID, another skill

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - Blank

00 02 8C D0 Pointer -> AID_LORD2

00 02 8C DA Pointer -> AID_LORD3

00 00 00 00 - Blank

07 03 08 00 03 - First number determines the Biorhythm type, fifth number determines the Authority stars, the rest are unknown

00 00 00 00 - Transform gauge gains/reductions (order: untransformed per turn, per battle, transformed per turn, per battle)

06 0F 01 0F 0C 0E 0C 05 00 00 - Stat additions (order: HP, STR, MAG, SKL, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES, CON, unknown [MOV?])

41 37 0A 3C 23 1E 28 0F - Growth rates (same order as above, minus CON and unknown)

Regarding the first unknown in Ike's data. The third byte appears to be starting level. The Fourth I believe is Male (00) or Female (01). I've yet to test it, but it's remarkably consistent with the 10 characters I'm poking around in.

The first byte is all over the place, and I've yet to see anything other then 00 for the second byte.

Alrighty, I've been tinkering some more and I've gone some pleasant items to show for it.

With regards to the non-descript pointers in the character table.

MPID_ : Determines Character Name

FID_ : Determines 2D Sprites (Profile, Level up, Visit Houses etc). Does not effect events out the campaign. Eg Talks before and after battle.

00 02 AA A0 Pointer -> IID_FLORETE - Item ID, determines what item it is00 02 E7 18 Pointer -> MIID_FLORETE

00 02 CC E7 Pointer -> MH_I_FLORETE

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type (at Min range?)

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type at Max range?

00 03 16 08 Pointer -> N - Weapon rank

00 00 00 00 - Blank

00 02 9A B8 Pointer -> EID_FLORETE

00 00 00 - Blank

00 00 10 - Unknown (third one could be Item icon)

00 C8 0E 5F 0F 05 2D 04 01 02 01 - Cost per use (first two bytes), Might, Accuracy, Weight, Critical, Uses, Weapon Exp, Min range, Max range, Unknown

00 00 00 - Blank

04 03 00 00 - Unknown

00 03 43 1B Pointer -> valuable - Additional attributes (can be a few or none)

00 03 41 6E Pointer -> eqB

00 03 42 C8 Pointer -> stormsw

Regarding items/weapons.

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type (at Min range?)

00 03 42 D0 Pointer -> sword - Determines weapon type at Max range?

The first 'weapon type' actually determines which weapon rank to go by.

The second 'weapon type' is the actual type. And likely determines how it plays in the weapon triangle.

00 03 16 08 Pointer -> N - Weapon rank

00 00 00 00 - Blank

00 02 9A B8 Pointer -> EID_FLORETE

The blank is another EID_ slot. Whatever EID_ is.

And as a bonus, I'm attaching something that should be helpful for other Radiant Dawn hackers. A Riivolution XML with the sample file I was farting with. Just plot the files in the appropriate folders in your SD Card. Make sure you've got Riivolution installed, and voila hassle free hacky fun time.

Modifications include:

Micaiah: 16 Authority Stars (They all barely fit on the screen), Wrath in place of her hidden 'Hero' skill.

Farting with Weapon Triangle. I changed 'Sword vs Sword' (Looked like a boring redundant entry) to 'Bow vs Axe'. Bow is now effective against Axes. Axes don't care about Bows. Which was to be expected.

On the other hand, Swords ignore Axes. Axes are still weak against Swords. And... Lances are effective against Bows. This was supposedly a single relationship I edited. Perhaps there's more to the weapon triangle then initially let on...

Edward

Kept his PID_

MPID_ : Black Knight's

MNPID_ Sothe's

FID_ Elincia's

JID_ Brave (Ike's Hero class)

Hero skill replaces wrath.

I did not see any effects by Sothe's and Hero's data applied to Edward.

FE_RD.zip

Moving on a bit to map data, and I've learned a few things here as well.

0F A0 18 4C - Unknown, possibly to do with unit colour? -------- Actually, the first two bytes are the Unit's ID. It's created for all maps. If a unit keeps the same two bytes between maps, it's coincidence. The second two are related to events like GameOver if felled, When to show up on the map, Commander, Forced, etc etc... I haven't dived into a second file, but my guess is that reusing the same values won't necessarily give you the same result on different maps. It 'might' deal with Color, but I'm not hopeful.

The following sample data is from Raise the Standard (Oddly, it's all one file, and not split for battles 1 and 2)

Meg and other unforced have 04 40,

Volug, Sothe, Taurano 1C 40,

Micaiah 1C 44,

Boogies 00 49, 00 C9 (Possibly more)

Fiona 00 C8

Villagers 00 48

Curious that Fiona and the Villagers are each adjacent to the different Boogie's values.

00 00 03 C8 Pointer -> PID_MICAIAH - Who the character is

00 00 03 8D Pointer -> JID_LIGHTMAGE - Class

06 11 0A 0B - Starting and ending XY co-ordinates? -------- This Appears to be Correct.

01 (01 00 05) Unknown, one of these numbers has to be starting Level though, right? -------- The first is Starting Level. But, more curiously, This number changes in advanced levels for recurring characters. Sothe gets a 2, Micaiah 11, Meg 7; if I had to guess, these would be the levels the programmers were testing on.

The numbers I added appear on enemies at that same address. No idea what it means. The second byte 'might' be Blue/Green/Red/Yellow.

(03 00 00 00) - No idea what this is. Some have it some don't. Generally a small number though for the first Byte. Nothing seen in the other slots. Can't be RGBY, as it can go up to at least 5)

00 00 04 63 Pointer -> invalid - Affinity? Not sure

00 00 03 49 Pointer -> IID_LIGHT - First weapon -------- All PCs have an up to date, if not exciting, inventory.

00 00 03 1B Pointer -> IID_HERB - First item

00 00 04 1D Pointer -> SEQ_NOATTACK - AI? -------- What the Unit Wants to do at decent Health

00 00 04 35 Pointer -> SEQ_NOMOVE - This stuff is probably useless for playable characters -------- How the Unit should move to accomplish the above.

00 00 04 2A Pointer -> SEQ_NOHEAL -------- What the Unit wants to do at Critical health. Most often Heal related.

00 00 03 9B Pointer -> MTYPE_NORMAL - Movement type? -------- (I've not seen this change... ever.)

00 00 04 35 Pointer -> SEQ_NOMOVE - What, another one? -------- How the Unit wants to Accomplish The above

Err, Am I getting on people's nerves by posting this stuff?

Edited by Wooster

Maybe for things you don't know, you could take a look at the GBA Nightmare modules... the "Level" seem to have found, looks to me like the "Level" data in the GBA FE's that don't really matter, since events determine their level when they are loaded...

However, looking at the structure of what you have, it seems like NOT map data (Equivalent of the "Chapter Data Editor")... but the "Chapter Unit Editor" which is the unit data, in which the levels DO matter... but since the units were loaded in the chapters before... they're only made to reappear with the stuff they already had in the previous chapters...

This is all though, assuming that the events work the same way as the GBA Fire Emblem games...

Err, Am I getting on people's nerves by posting this stuff?

No, carry on, it's all good stuff. I probably won't be able to do any real hacking of FE10 for a long time (as in hacking and then checking the results).

Edward

Kept his PID_

MPID_ : Black Knight's

MNPID_ Sothe's

FID_ Elincia's

JID_ Brave (Ike's Hero class)

Hero skill replaces wrath.

I did not see any effects by Sothe's and Hero's data applied to Edward.

As you probably know now, the job ID in the character data doesn't usually do anything (much like in the GBA FEs). I'm guessing it might be important for characters who are assigned outside of maps, maybe from base convos and stuff.

Could the MNPID be the Help message for the character's name? I forgot if FE9/10 still have those. It should be something to do with text though, since it begins with M (for message).

Maybe for things you don't know, you could take a look at the GBA Nightmare modules... the "Level" seem to have found, looks to me like the "Level" data in the GBA FE's that don't really matter, since events determine their level when they are loaded...

However, looking at the structure of what you have, it seems like NOT map data (Equivalent of the "Chapter Data Editor")... but the "Chapter Unit Editor" which is the unit data, in which the levels DO matter... but since the units were loaded in the chapters before... they're only made to reappear with the stuff they already had in the previous chapters...

This is all though, assuming that the events work the same way as the GBA Fire Emblem games....

Mm... Map is really a misnomer. The folder the battle map character data is in is called zmap. Hence calling it Map even though it isn't the map itself persay.

As for looking at the GBA Nightmare... it's 'kinda' helpful but not really. It looks like the entire thing got reformatted between the GBA and Wii versions. Some that are stored values are pointers, and some pointers are no longer universal. Also, it looks like I'm looking at a lot of stuff that isn't covered in the Modules, so that's kinda a dead end. However, the GBA's emphasis on storing values in Bool did inspirer me to solve the next puzzle I'm about to post...

No, carry on, it's all good stuff. I probably won't be able to do any real hacking of FE10 for a long time (as in hacking and then checking the results).

Oh good. I was getting worried because the silence was deafening. I wasn't sure if I was doing thread necromancy, or if I was posting 'Been there, done that, got the t-shirt' discoveries.

As you probably know now, the job ID in the character data doesn't usually do anything (much like in the GBA FEs). I'm guessing it might be important for characters who are assigned outside of maps, maybe from base convos and stuff.

Could the MNPID be the Help message for the character's name? I forgot if FE9/10 still have those. It should be something to do with text though, since it begins with M (for message).

Yeah, I was starting to suspect the same thing myself. It's likely important for Meg, maybe possibly the Griel Mercenaries, but definitely not map units.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

I've partly learned what the strange bytes were after the map unit id, thanks to ShadowOfChaos. They're booleans, not hex values. I haven't been able to figure out what they all are for but here's what I've got

-- Binary View of Micaiah after 1-P --

0001 1100 0100 0100

-0001-

I've not seen the first three bits used.

Last is either Forced on Map, or can't move.

-1100-

First is either Forced on Map, or can't move. All forced characters have this and the previous bit active, making it hard to discern.

Second is the first bit Bench-able characters have, but is also present on Forced. Likely means selectable.

Third and Fourth I've not seen used.

-0100-

First bit is unknown. but it seems limited to computer entities. Fiona, Some Daien Allies, and some boogies.

Second bit EVERYONE has, except 1-P Micaiah. Really hard to pin what it does.

Third Bit I've not seen used.

Fourth Bit, Only 1-P Micaiah has. Correlation?

-0100-

First bit is only absent on characters that have already been made. A 'new character' flag.

Second bit is present on commanders

Third bit is present on bosses. Often the kill to beat level kind. However, Soren has this on 3-13 oddly enough. Bosses can also be Commanders. Commanders are not necessarily Bosses, Pugo (1-P) for instance is a commander, but not a boss

Fourth bit is only present on boogies, but not commanders. Unless your name is Ike.

Curiously, this does not seem to include a retreat flag.

Some interesting Combos... but skipping the bit 'EVERYONE' has.

3-13 Ike: Commander, Boss, Boogie

3-13 Pelleas (!?), Villagers, NPC Muriam/Vika: New Character

"The" 3-13 Archer, All Boogies: New Character, Boogie

Micaiah: Commander, Forced, Can't Move, Selectable,

3-13 Daien Axe General: Mysterious bit, New Character, Boogie

It's curious seeing Pelleas in the character roster for 3-13. On the other hand, would it have made more sense if Pelleas was locked behind the line instead of Micaiah?

He does have Kareau, Uerine, and Fenrir. But if deployed, he'd just stand there. (Petrified in fear perhaps?)

My folks have been hogging the TV so I haven't been able to test further on the character battle flags from my last post... so I kept myself busy by tinkering with other files in the mean while. And, I've got some exciting stuff to show for it.

---- sound_data.cms ----

First, a few observations.

Read these pointers and tell me you don't see something suspicious...

BGM_SEQ_MARIOKART

BGM_STRM_MARIOKART

SE_SEQ_SUPER_MARIO

SE_STRM_FANFARE

SE_WAVE_STEREO

SE_WAVE_WIHAHO

SE_WAVE_YOSHI

Next, there's a mysterious FE8 file in the game that isn't obvious what it does or is for. But...

BGM_STRM_FE8_BTL_DKNIGHT1

BGM_STRM_FE8_SONG

I'm guessing FE8 is referring to Path of Radiance, and not Sacred Stones or some other GBA carry over. And therefore, the FE8 file might be related to unit transferring?

Next, what I found that made me run into the former. I found the battle music!

Here's a sample

-- Black Knight --

01 01 00 00

00 02 50 B8 BGM_BTL_DARK_KNIGHT1

00 00 00 00

00 02 87 98 PID_DARKKNIGHT_0

00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00

FF FF FF FF

-- 01 01 00 00 --

The first byte appears to be Music on Attack Phase,

Second Defense Phase. Royals do not have this set. Hence deducting that this must be music on defense.

Third is always 00 seemingly.

Fourth is generally 00, The final boss being the exception. Or rather, the final boss map? It's not clear.

Thus, Black Knight is set to have his battle music play both Attacking and Being attacked.

-- 00 02 50 B8 -- BGM_BTL_DARK_KNIGHT1

Music in question to be played.

-- 00 00 00 00 --

While blank for the Black Knight, for characters that have custom battle music, but only for specific maps. Ike, Micaiah, etc etc They'd have values. Pointers point to values like "c0104" which presumably means Part 1, Chapter 3 (Prologue would be c0101).

-- 00 00 00 00 --

-- 00 00 00 00 --

Now these are mysterious. Not only are they always seemingly blank. But no one in the entire file ever has it filled! Perhaps they reuse the template in other files? I just can't imagine why the waste of space. There's no way to even guess if they're pointers, or values.

-- FF FF FF FF --

Slightly less mysterious. But only slightly. The last three Bytes are always FF. The first can either be FF, 00, or 01. Entires with Map entires, but with blank PID_'s like 00 and 01. Units like FF and 01, possibly 00 as well.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Now the sad part. Only Bosses, Royals and the like have pointers and entries. Thus, you can't give Mia, or the 3-13 Archer their own battle music. On the other hand, with those dummy pointers I brought up earlier, you could theoretically make room for said character IDs without realigning the whole pointer table.

Edited by Wooster

I remember the Mario Kart ones, but I don't think I noticed the sound effects.

Not sure what they could be for, maybe IS borrowed some code off another Nintendo studio? Actually I seem to recall IS developed Mario Kart Super Circuit, so perhaps they had some involvement with Mario Kart on GC/Wii?

The boolean data is also very interesting. I keep forgetting that FE uses that sometimes (this is how the GBA FEs handle special "skills" right?).

EDIT

Path of Radiance is indeed counted as FE8 in the game data.

Also, I actually messed around with the music data for one of ShadowOfChaos's requests. If you're interested, maybe you could figure out what determines the loop length of the songs. I thought I found some data for that, but it seems to be unrelated (and I can't check for myself to see what works or not).

Now these are mysterious. Not only are they always seemingly blank. But no one in the entire file ever has it filled! Perhaps they reuse the template in other files? I just can't imagine why the waste of space. There's no way to even guess if they're pointers, or values.

I'm guessing they can afford to waste space. For instance, there's tons of wasted space in the chapter unit data. They also compress the data as well if it's a .cms or .cmp file, which saves a ton of space.

Edited by VincentASM

I'll take a stab at learning the loop data, but I if you know anything about Wii music I'd be most grateful.

Like for instance, is the loop determined by an out-cue and an in-cue? Duration? And, of those points, are they measured in Quarter Notes, Measures, Seconds, Minutes Seconds, physical addresses? There's a lot of ways to look at it, knowing anything would help narrow down in testing.

Well, this is pretty much useful like Goldie said...

Simply doing a search for the data you already posted (like the item data), I was able to re-find the item table that Goldie already was able to when she released some codes (like the "Baselard/Rexbolt/Shine has 10 range")

I was also able to find the value that makes the character able to move however many times you want in a single turn (the "status" codes on the GBA FE games)

This is definitely useful in finding the data in the RAM via USBGecko...

lol, I'm actually having a little fun with it now... XD

(Just like with the "Nuclear Steel Greatlance")

A critical with a Steel Greatlance at 2 spaces away apparently does an unexpected, but pretty cool effect :D

Edited by shadowofchaos

Well, this is pretty much useful like Goldie said...

Simply doing a search for the data you already posted (like the item data), I was able to re-find the item table that Goldie already was able to when she released some codes (like the "Baselard/Rexbolt/Shine has 10 range")

I was also able to find the value that makes the character able to move however many times you want in a single turn (the "status" codes on the GBA FE games)

This is definitely useful in finding the data in the RAM via USBGecko...

lol, I'm actually having a little fun with it now... XD

(Just like with the "Nuclear Steel Greatlance")

A critical with a Steel Greatlance at 2 spaces away apparently does an unexpected, but pretty cool effect :D

O_o Was that a javelin or a nuclear projectile? XD Bravo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, the HERO skill is the same with the lord skill in the GBA games?

I only tested the Hero skill on P-1, so I cannot vouch if killing a unit with Hero is an instant game over. However, the hero skill does give the unit commander-only command menu items. (Hault, Target... etc)

OK! I got rid of EVENT_CC and found out that the only way to promote Ike is by using a Master Crown...on the other hand I tried to see if I could make a Character ( Mia for example) to use axes but I am not sure I can find how to.

Edited by Kenshin Himura

OK! I got rid of EVENT_CC and found out that the only way to promote Ike is by using a Master Crown...on the other hand I tried to see if I could make a Character ( Mia for example) to use axes but I am not sure I can find how to...Also found out that when you change the music BRSTM you have to change the samples to be a multiple of 14336...That's for now...

To the best of my knowledge there are two ways. There's a skill that explicitly forces the character to be able to equip X weapon eg "SID_EQAXE". However, I haven't tried these skills. But I think Goldie did.

The other way is to edit the classes and change the skill rank pointers(for both the class so they can equip it period, and the unit as there are no weapons that have no rank (Prf weapons not withstanding). However, be fore warned that characters that were never intended to wield X weapon will T-Stance in combat, and just skip the animations. The game will play just fine. It'll just be a little hollow.

Edited by Wooster

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know which file contains the class descriptions?

Edit: The file is e_common.m the problem is that if it is modified, the game only plays untill the opening video, if you skip it(or if the video ends) then the game freezes.

Edit2: The e_common.m file CAN be edited ONLY with a hex editor, if you try to edit it with a text editor the game won't be able to read it!

Edited by Tobi

All the FE10 Sound effects as ripped by brsar_unpack.

Click Here to Download

Btw, I COULD NOT find the "Level Up!" Sound Effect...

I found the ones associated with it:

SE1_SYS_PARA_UP1 (Stat up)

SE1_SYS_LEVELUP1 (Level up number change sound)

SE1_SYS_CC1 (Class box "flip" sound effect)

SE1_SYS_CLASSCHANGE1 ("Class Change!" Text sound effect... the counterpart to "Level Up!")

All of these are in the GROUP_FE10SOUND_ALL Folder.

And I've looked at roughly all the .brstm files. I found unused "phase" music, but I COULD NOT find the Level Up music/sound effect. Anyone know where it is? (I might be able to insert it in a GBA FE game)

Vincent, might you know the location of the "Level Up!" sound? Just wondering, since you seem to have the most knowledge when it comes to hacking FE9/FE10.

• 8 months later...

Should be okay I suppose. I was thinking of Mages not Sages : P

Also, something I noticed a while back.

You can barely make out what Spirits look like, but if you check their textures...

spirit_f.pngspirit_t.pngspirit_w.png

I wonder if the bodily parts are used. Also, is that a boob?

spirit.png

Just for Ha-ha's. I used some sucky Photoshop 3D skills to take a stab at visualizing what the spirits might look like. Reminds me of a second hand pepper shaker you might find at "Good Will".

My best guess, since the waste line transitions into vertical scanlines, that the body becomes transparent. Thus the spirit might be more like what we'd consider a ghostly form rather then the star bursts in game. Undead Seriphan grade bird laguz?

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, thanks for this. I got a basic test hack of FE9 working (gave Ike really high str base, growth, and cap--something immediately obvious). Now I just need to find out where it does the exp formulas...

Edited by Reikken