FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

:wub::wub::wub: Did you know i love you Vincent? :wub::wub::wub:

Don't get your hopes up yet. I'm failing hard for some reason : /

I'm guessing the magblow flag does nothing unless it's a Strike (blow) weapon. However, I can't get the right combination of flags without exceeding the filesize after recompressing the file.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing the magblow flag does nothing unless it's a Strike (blow) weapon. However, I can't get the right combination of flags without exceeding the filesize after recompressing the file.

Well that's quite a pain in the neck...

Haven't looked at cards, but tomes are magical weapons by default.

Slightly related to what I'm doing, I've been messing around with weapon models in FE9. It seems to be easier to alter the textures from the battle database (zdbx.cmp) file, rather than swap the texture files themselves. I don't yet know where the relevant data is found in FE10 though.

First attempt - Tried to swap the Iron Sword's model with the Killing Edge (note: the name says Killing Edge, but it's still the Iron Sword)

The result, the game promptly crashed afterwards.

Apparently I altered too many things... After fiddling around a little, I finally got it to work.

Killing Edge

Iron Lance

Rapier (unused)

Ragnell

Gurgurant

Pretty straightforward enough up to this point. Then I figured I'd try and modify a magic sword. However, the initial labels were all too short, so I repointed the Iron Sword file to the bottom of the pack file. I also rewrote the code a little, to use the textures from the unused Lightning Sword and also change the magic effect to Elthunder.

I didn't think it would work, but it actually did. Phew...

Lightning Sword

Elthunder strike (I forgot to give the Iron Sword 2 range, so I couldn't check if the ranged attack worked)

I see...

Heh, that's pretty awesome as well,it would be interesting if you could change the textures for tomes to something like the Urvan, seeing Soren or Ilyana wield that would be pretty amusing.

I was thinking of doing some silly things like that. However, it won't be possible in FE9 since mages don't hold tomes unless it's a part of their body.

Also, FE9's been pretty convenient to hack thanks to the GameCube Rebuilder program. I still need to figure out how to replace larger files using WiiScrubber and ways to stop myself corrupting my FE10 ISO >___<

Hmm...what about knives?

That seems...problematic to say the least.I think I might get around to trying messing around with FE9/10 once i get a better PC, since right now I just have a cheap laptop...it would probably explode trying to load it...

Hmm...what about knives?

Should be okay I suppose. I was thinking of Mages not Sages : P

Also, something I noticed a while back.

You can barely make out what Spirits look like, but if you check their textures...

spirit_f.pngspirit_t.pngspirit_w.png

I wonder if the bodily parts are used. Also, is that a boob?

Good work with these weapons in FE9...they are really awsome...I just don't know if I could imagine Ike with a thunder tome...or Mia with a lance but it would be super.

Edited by roxas210

I might hack weapon models again later.

For now, something I've wanted to try for a long time- editing FE9 NPCs.

Characters

Note: Some of the stats might be lower/higher than usual due to different Levels and use of the auto-levelling or not.

Caineghis

Greil

Leanne

Lekain

Nealuchi

Rajaion

Sephiran

Sigrun (not sure why I didn't get her map model)

Zelgius

WTF happened here?

When I was arranging the next test, I somehow managed to get this to appear o__o

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Bonus: Greil vs BK

I used his fixed stats for this. I was planning on using his auto-levelled version (which has much higher stats) and Ragnell, but I can't seem to edit Ragnell for some reason (or the System.cmp file at all it seems, which is really odd since I got edit it before...).

Image 1 - The fateful battle begins

Image 2 - Aether activates

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5 - But of course no damage is done

Image 6 - Luna...

Image 7

Image 8 - Ouch, that's a lot of damage

Image 9 - And...

Image 10 - ...he's out

Image 11

Edited by VincentASM

How you managed to get Greil and have him use the Aether Skill?:blink:... When I tried using a Action Reaplay code to recruit him he had the skill discipline which didn't allow him to use Aether...

You can do lots of crazy stuff with hacking. I manually added the skill myself, though I've heard some versions of Greil come with Aether already (I was too lazy to comb the chapters to find every Greil).

In any case, it's only the Prologue Greil that has Discipline, so just recruit a later Greil. Also, there should be a AR code to remove Discipline from all units.

In any case, it's only the Prologue Greil that has Discipline, so just recruit a later Greil. Also, there should be a AR code to remove Discipline from all units.

Well you are right there is supposed to be a code to remove discipline(but I never had it to work with me anyways <_< )...Good job though...

Edited by Sask

In reply to the first two posts, I've got something to ask:

- Is it possible to edit the starting level and class of characters? Or better yet, generic enemies?

- Is it possible for the laguz units to level up to 20 instead of 40?

- Can weapons edited to deal magical damage instead? This should be available for white dragon breaths already...

- Can certain event data be modified? I want to cancel the auto-class changes and make Ike, Micaiah and Sothe change class normally.

- How about adding the number of characters that can be used in certain chapters? 4 in 1-8 and 10 in 4-E don't look good at all.

- Can I clone classes and assign certain characters to the new class? (For example, I want to make a new Seraph Knight class to main swords instead for Tanith)

- Can I change the unit type displayed in the stat screen so that laguz units are actually displayed as laguz without giving them a transformation gauge? It bothers me a bit to see Kurth or Sephiran as beorc when I play the actual game.

(Wait, forget about this, the transformation gauge won't be a bother to actual gameplay anyway.)

Still haven't got to play around with the game's files. I want to make a list of changes I want to do first. (Things like having people's stats cap at 50- instead of 40-, making weapons more consistent, improving characters with little chance to show up, etc; basically, make all characters to be more usable. I want to balance the game as well.)

- Is it possible to edit the starting level and class of characters? Or better yet, generic enemies?

Yes to all. I haven't properly documented starting levels yet, but all those are found in the army/disposition data. There's a byte that defines the starting Level, another one for whether they're player/enemy/NPC and one that determines if they have fixed stats or are autolevelled (this one is something like 49 or 4C).

- Is it possible for the laguz units to level up to 20 instead of 40?

I'm not sure.

- Can weapons edited to deal magical damage instead? This should be available for white dragon breaths already...

I was working on this, but I haven't found a way for it to work yet. I have a feeling only Strike weapons have the option of dealing magical damage.

- Can certain event data be modified? I want to cancel the auto-class changes and make Ike, Micaiah and Sothe change class normally.

I think it should be possible. I'll see if I can find anything.

- How about adding the number of characters that can be used in certain chapters? 4 in 1-8 and 10 in 4-E don't look good at all.

I'm not sure about that, but I did notice in FE9 that adding an extra playable character in the field increases the character number (eg. changing an enemy soldier to a playable Greil).

- Can I clone classes and assign certain characters to the new class? (For example, I want to make a new Seraph Knight class to main swords instead for Tanith)

I have a feeling this might not be possible. You can expand the database file, but I'm not sure how you'd go about adding more labels for your new classes when the labels don't already exist. Eg. JID_FALCONKNIGHT_TANITH.

I should mention I won't be able to hack FE10 for a while since my decent PC died again. So I won't be able to do any testing to back up my theory(ies).

EDIT

On force-promotions. I'm assuming the label "UnitClassChange" in the relevant script files is what triggers it. Maybe you could skip it by replacing it with something boring like "BgmMuteOff".

You also need to remove the hidden skill "EVENT_CC" from the characters if you want them to ever promote. I'm not really sure what you could give them instead. Maybe a duplicate Shove/Canto?

Edited by VincentASM

Can I remove existing skills by putting pointers to nothingness for skills I don't want? I don't mean pointing to strange things like 00000000, though. Maybe there are useless, hidden skills?

If I can't add classes, maybe I'll edit out the original ones. I'll want to remove 1st tier classes. (You know, FE10 is really biased towards the Greil Mercenaries.)

Thanks to the answers. I'm really satisfied about it too.

The closest thing to game editing I had was with the GBA games. I either used existing editors (those found in ChinaFE) or simply entered the stats/caps/etc to search the address I needed to edit. I only wanted to edit stats, growths and weapon data back then, it was really easy.

Can I remove existing skills by putting pointers to nothingness for skills I don't want? I don't mean pointing to strange things like 00000000, though. Maybe there are useless, hidden skills?

There should be, but it might be safer to point to an existing skill, since those skills weren't meant to be used (and could have unknown side-effects). Pointing to nothing might also mess up the game, depending on how the game reads that part of the database.

There should be, but it might be safer to point to an existing skill, since those skills weren't meant to be used (and could have unknown side-effects). Pointing to nothing might also mess up the game, depending on how the game reads that part of the database.

Could that be done somehow by using the skill editor nightmare module? :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm honestly not sure, although it wouldn't be that difficult to make them.

The only issue is that character, class and item data are probably made of non-uniform blocks like in FE10, so making modules for them would be annoying at this moment in time (hence why there are like 50 modules for character growths for FE10 - if it weren't for this issue, you could just use one module : P).

I really want to modify Radiant Dawn, but this seems like more work than I care to do. Is it possible to hack FE similar to how the Smash Bros community hacks Brawl? They run .GCTs off an SD card through Homebrew, and have some programs that allow for really simple editing. It's a whole lot quicker and easier than going through all the crap it takes to edit FE now.