Self-imposed challenges?

FE8 gets a lot of flak for being too easy.

So, what do you do to make it harder? Do you even try?

This is also partially a fishing thread since I'm looking for ideas for my next go, and it was inspired partially by my experiences and by the below/above GK Playthrough topic.

I'll start.

-

I did one run of SS where I only used mages. No Eirika, no thieves (yeah, that hurt.), just the mages. I also swore to myself that, after Chapter 6 (the earlier ones were too luck-based with this) I wouldn't reset if somebody died. It actually ended up being a Sages Only run, due to who ended up surviving. Ewan died the turn I got him to a ninjagoyle, Knoll died at the start of his chapter, L'Arachel died retreated in the defense chapter with Cormag and Amelia and stuff to a ballista, and Natasha gave up and died in Chapter Gorgon Eggs. A tag-team A-support 20/20 sage!Lute/sage!Artur CAN kill the Demon King, though.

FE8, no promotion, no deaths, no prepromotes, lowest level units deployed run. 'tis fun, but very challenging, especially if you also go for psuedo-efficiency.

I have a topic chronicling it, which shouldn't be too hard to find, if you're interested.

Iron weapons only.

Enemy Phase only.

No healing.

No forests. (can't move over them)

No rearranging:

-Not allowed to do anything on the world map.

-Only thing you are allowed to do on the preparations screen is buy weapons from the Armoury, so you can't rearrange items or swap characters in or out.

-All characters must be recruited.

-All characters must survive.

-Your chosen Lord may not take part in combat - they are only allowed to trade items, like FE6 Merlinus. They may get attacked, but dealing damage back is forbidden.

Well, in order to make FE8 harder, I simply play something else. :P

...but in all seriousness, I actually don't do anything that would really restrict me, I just don't abuse the main features that make FE8 so easy until I reach the Creature Campaign. This means:

- I don't buy items from the world map shops and never enter the Tower of Valni or the Lagdov Ruins. If I happen to be unable to avoid entering a random battle, I escape the very first turn.

- I bench Seth the second I get the chance to do so, as using him trivializes the game.

- As always, I recruit every character and keep all my units alive. I also force myself to get all possible treasure that isn't just a stealable vulnerary.

Edited by Raymond

I might try this one. Or at least an adjusted version. Got too many runs througuh FE: 7-9 and 10 right now but doing somethign in FE:8 that might be a little bit hard seems fun to try.

Iron weapons only. (make this E-rank weapons minus Handaxes and Javelins?)

Enemy Phase only.

No healing.

No forests. (can't move over them) (I smell a massive Vanessa abuse)

No rearranging:

-Not allowed to do anything on the world map.

-Only thing you are allowed to do on the preparations screen is buy weapons from the Armoury, so you can't rearrange items or swap characters in or out.

-All characters must be recruited. (This plus no rearranging and no deaths? How am I gonna recruit Syrene?)

-All characters must survive.

-Your chosen Lord may not take part in combat - they are only allowed to trade items, like FE6 Merlinus. They may get attacked, but dealing damage back is forbidden. (You should add that the chosen Lord has to be Eipraim since he could solo the game after his promotion otherwise)

When I actually got her, I did a Lute solo of the Lagdou Ruins.

Unfortunately, I didn't record it. >_>;

If I ever go through it again, I may find a way to record that.

I COULD try a Lute solo of the whole game, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll work out.

Worth a shot, if I ever get bored.

Iron weapons only. (make this E-rank weapons minus Handaxes and Javelins?)

All you'd really get out of it is Steel Axes, lolSlim weapons, and the Hatchet.

No forests. (can't move over them) (I smell a massive Vanessa abuse)

The game wouldn't be possible otherwise. I think that there are forests in the way of C20, and it's a seize chapter.

-All characters must be recruited. (This plus no rearranging and no deaths? How am I gonna recruit Syrene?)

Syrene recruits automatically at the end if she didn't die.

-Your chosen Lord may not take part in combat - they are only allowed to trade items, like FE6 Merlinus. They may get attacked, but dealing damage back is forbidden. (You should add that the chosen Lord has to be Eipraim since he could solo the game after his promotion otherwise)

Nah, I wouldn't want it to force Eph. Route.

I was thinking of the magic tomes.

Iron Weapons + Fire, lightning, Flux and Heal is more like it.

Yeah, those were kind of implied.

Although why you would ever want to use Luna, Nosferatu or Gleipnir anyway, I don't know.

Yeah, those were kind of implied.

Although why you would ever want to use Luna, Nosferatu or Gleipnir anyway, I don't know.

Only Nosferatu would seemingly find a use if you want to heal yourself, I guess. Luna and Gleipnir are really, really pointless.

I did a female only run of FE8, which wasn't very difficult at all (you have to ignore Ch 5x for obvious reasons). You can have Eirika as your lord the entire game, and Lute/Vanessa have the power to kill everything once supported.

I did a female only run of FE8, which wasn't very difficult at all (you have to ignore Ch 5x for obvious reasons). You can have Eirika as your lord the entire game, and Lute/Vanessa have the power to kill everything once supported.

That was my original run that sparked this thread. My sister did a, er, sister run using only the dudes.

Fortunately, this thread did exactly what I wanted it to. Time to mop up the run I'm on and reclaim the save slot. hee hee.

• 3 years later...

Several Challenges I have done, and are quite interesting:

Stampede - Only mounted units i.e Calvery, magic users becoming mage knights and valkeries

The Greatest among us - Great knights only, no Duessel, - Amelia, Forde, Kyle, Franz, Gilliam, One healer, on promote, must be mounted

The Forgotten and Weak - Ross, Amelia, Ewan, Seth, Moulder, Vanessa, Garcia, Main Lord

Strength is Everything - Must use strongest weapons possible for each persons rank. I.e Weapon rank is A or S, must use silver and sacred weapons - This is a challenge not because of lack of good weapons, but because of the massive amount of cash you will be spending to keep weapons on your units. Soloing advised - If you go up in weapon rank during a level, weapon switching not required until end of level.

Have you got the Skills? - Use units with skills or promote to units with skills, like a generals great wall, assassin silencer, ect

Hawkeye - Ranged weapons only - Staves still allowed - bows, magic, hand axes, tomahawks, javelins, ect. Closed combat permitted with ranged weapons

Healers? Who needs them? - No staves permitted

FE8, no promotion, no deaths, no prepromotes, lowest level units deployed run. 'tis fun, but very challenging, especially if you also go for psuedo-efficiency.

I have a topic chronicling it, which shouldn't be too hard to find, if you're interested.

I like this. Also, find a LTC and add +2/3/5 turns to it and demand that you reach it or beat it (kind of like a score in golf). Also try to A rank at least and yes.