real-time clock + wi-fi items = too many bonuses?

i was reading today about the real-time clock bonuses and the wi-fi items, and i'm kind of against them. you can ignore the wi-fi items, but having other bonuses forced on you really bugs me, b/c one of the things that i like about games like FE is being able to strategize within a fixed set of parameters so that on subsequent playthroughs you're still presented with the exact same situation. so the clock bonuses break that since you can't completely ignore them, and so now multiple playthroughs aren't going to present you with the exact same parameters. is this bothering anyone else or is it just me? yes, you can work that into your strategy, but my point is that it adds an element of randomness beyond statistical battle odds.

The wi-fi items perhaps, but on a real DS, the clock bonuses will likely be few, especially if you play often.

EDIT: Except for Lunatic. HOLY HELL.

Edited by Callum

but having other bonuses forced on you

When these bonuses appear after you select the option, it isn't forced. It's basically wi-fi shop turned into a stinking lottery with time being the cost. Nothing serious really.

Edited by Sirius

oh, i see now that you have to select the option to get the bonuses. okay, that makes me happy now, since you can just never select the option. i'm one of those people who never uses stat boosters in any game. ;) haha. but it still somewhat annoys me that there's this new element of randomness beyond battle statistics.

by the way, what's the point of the crappy weapons like the frying pan? just for fun?

Edited by geozeldadude

oh, i see now that you have to select the option to get the bonuses. okay, that makes me happy now, since you can just never select the option. i'm one of those people who never uses stat boosters in any game. ;) haha. but it still somewhat annoys me that there's this new element of randomness beyond battle statistics.

by the way, what's the point of the crappy weapons like the frying pan? just for fun?

Forge abuse, apparently.

Hmm, I'm really not sure about forging the crappy weapons.

For instance, to make the Frying Pan as good as an Iron Axe costs around 1000G. An Iron Axe costs 300G. I suppose it only costs around 5000G to max out the Frying Pan's Might and Critical, but it's not much better than a base Roro's Axe (10 less Hit, 20 less Critical), which is free with a lot bit of luck o__o

Maybe I'm missing something here...

Edited by VincentASM

Not sure why you are singling out everybody's situation bonuses when the Fire Emblem series is built around probabilities and randomness. The crap weapons are for fun, mostly.

Not sure why you are singling out everybody's situation bonuses when the Fire Emblem series is built around probabilities and randomness. The crap weapons are for fun, mostly.

i guess for me the difference boils down to the fact it's based on the amount of time that has passed. that's replacing simulated randomness with some external factor that you can control, but the amount of inconvenience to actually control it is just annoying.

all the new bouneses and stuff are optional,but why would you want to pass them up? This game is a much better attempt at a sequel then SD. and I liked SD >.<

Well I think that the frying pan is for the prep screen arena. Considering that you don't get money back and that you have to use up the weapon uses, the frying pan is cheap and not very good for the story. A perfect weapon for the prep screen arena.

good point,but it can be used for early forgeing. since killer weapons are hard to get early on. you can make the fryong pan and it's cousins into a decent replacement for a ok amount of dough.