Worth Getting FE7 if I've already finished FE8?

skdyer

Hey everyone. New to the forum and fairly limited knowledge about the Fire Emblem series as a whole. I've owned FE8 (Sacred Stones) for quite some time now and I love it to death. Probably one of my favorite games of all time on any system. I was wondering if some of the more seasoned FE players on this forum could offer some advice regarding if it is worth purchasing FE7 (Self-titled) as well. Based on my internet research and various informal polls I've seen many people regard FE7 as their favorite of the series, primarily because of a top notch plot and great character development. Does FE7 offer a different enough experience than FE8 to warrant dropping $25 on it or should I invest my limited cash elsewhere? Are there other significant game mechanic differences in FE7 or would I mainly be purchasing it just for a new story (compared to FE8)?

If money is such an issue you could always emulate it, that way you'll be halfway there if you then decide you want to play FE6 afterwards.

For me FE7 has more interesting characters, and a better story, partly because its longer partly because it strays from the good country has been invaded by bad country are you a bad enough dude to get it back? Although FE7 doesn't have anything like CC to do after a PT

FE7 doesn't have anything in terms of game mechanics that FE8 doesn't too. If anything, the game mechanics are simpler because branched promotions don't exist. In addition, if you've already played FE8, you may find FE7 quite annoying because it forces you to go through a lengthy and boring tutorial section, and you need to beat the game twice to unlock what most people consider to be the most enjoyable difficulty setting, Hector Hard Mode.

you need to beat the game twice to unlock what most people consider to be the most enjoyable difficulty setting, Hector Hard Mode.

That's also for people who actually play the games regularly enough. Considering he's apparently only played Sacred Stones, I wouldn't be worried about that.

25$ is well worth it for FE7. It has more characters, it's longer, harder, has a better story (it's still not amazing but better), etc.

FE7 is better than FE8 in terms of character development, story, and gameplay. FE7 may not have branched promotions, but then again, how many FEs do? I'd argue that FE7's the best among the GBA FEs. I don't see why small things like the tutorial, playing through the game twice to unlock Hector Hard mode, and (considering you've played FE8) the lack of branched promotions (which shouldn't matter since most FEs don't have branched promotions anyways) should stop you from enjoying the game. I'd even argue it having the highest replay value of the GBA FEs. I wouldn't miss it if I were you, but it's your call.

(Even when considering that this is from a guy who played FE8 before playing FE7, and never picked up his FE8 copy afterwards.)

FE7 is definitely worth a buy if you enjoyed FE8, since even though the mechanics are mostly the same, there are more characters, better story (including better character development through supports and other conversations), higher difficulty (not too much higher, but it's there), rankings and FAR more replay value.

FE7 (along with all other FE games except FE2) does lack branched promotions, map skirmishes and post-game bonus dungeons, though.

FE7 is better than FE8 in terms of...gameplay. FE7 may not have branched promotions, but then again, how many FEs do? I'd argue that FE7's the best among the GBA FEs. I don't see why small things like the tutorial, playing through the game twice to unlock Hector Hard mode, and (considering you've played FE8) the lack of branched promotions (which shouldn't matter since most FEs don't have branched promotions anyways) should stop you from enjoying the game. I'd even argue it having the highest replay value of the GBA FEs. I wouldn't miss it if I were you, but it's your call.

How is the gameplay better? All you said is that FE7 not having branched promotions is fairly normal and that the other issues don't prevent you from enjoying the game. I also don't see how it is really any more replayable than FE8. Sure you have both Hector and Eliwood modes, but you also have Ephraim and Eirika's routes which have more unique maps.

Personally, FE7 is my least favorite (after the original) Fire Emblem, but I don't quite know why. Besides, being my second least favorite FE doesn't mean I don't still like and play it. It's worth buying.

FE7 is noticeably harder than FE8. FE8 has this world map where you can get into random battles with monsters and the Lagdou Ruins and the Tower of Valni. Sure it's nice, but they all take away from the challenge of the game, and it's no fun if you're doing nothing but grinding your units to 20/20. To add salt to the wound, you can beat the game one character alone (read: Seth). That may be enjoyable to some, but, honestly. There's no challenge if one character's (again, Seth) defeating every enemy in sight. Meanwhile, FE7's more balanced in terms of units. Even the best character in the game can't kill everything in sight, so you're using more units as a result. Which is good, since people usually like to spice things up with different parties.

And as for not seeing how it's more replayable than FE8, as mentioned the difficulty's higher. The story's also better too, there's more characters with likable personalities, better character development and support conversations, and the fact that rankings exist.

FE7 is noticeably harder than FE8. FE8 has this world map where you can get into random battles with monsters and the Lagdou Ruins and the Tower of Valni.

You don't need to tell him, he has played it.

Sure it's nice, but they all take away from the challenge of the game, and it's no fun if you're doing nothing but grinding your units to 20/20.

I could say the same about boss abuse. If you don't like it, don't do it.

To add salt to the wound, you can beat the game one character alone (read: Seth).

Whereas Marcus just beats the first 20 chapters of FE7.

That may be enjoyable to some, but, honestly. There's no challenge if one character's (again, Seth) defeating every enemy in sight.

Then don't use him. If you don't like using Seth, you don't have to.

Meanwhile, FE7's more balanced in terms of units. Even the best character in the game can't kill everything in sight, so you're using more units as a result.

If you don't use Seth, you will usually need to use a reasonably sized team in FE8 in order to complete it efficiently.

Which is good, since people usually like to spice things up with different parties.

There's nothing stopping you from using different teams in FE8. The downside is, I guess, that there is a smaller cast, but branched promotions increase the number of possible teams you can have.

And as for not seeing how it's more replayable than FE8, as mentioned the difficulty's higher.

The difficulty of a game is largely dependent on how you approach it. If you want to make FE8 challenging, you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend emulaing it if you have an android device or a computer emulator. The game is VERY good and is my favorite in the series (but iv only played 2 games -_-) Your situation is the same as mine. I was recommnded Sacred Stones from a friend and played it none stop. Then i decided to play Rekka No Ken just to test it out. 25$ is a small price to pay

FE7 is better than FE8 for story and characters (i think?)

The downside of FE7 is that there is a large character selection so you will probably be torn between several characters (poor Dorcas..Bartre was good though)