FE Recolor

BwdYeti

cFPpK9H.png

[Jul 7 '18]: Updated with a newer version, with a much easier to understand UI and better performance. PM me on discord or something if there are bugs.

A program I put together over the past week that makes it easier to recolor FE sprites/try out different palettes, and also easy to generate color data for inserting into GBA hacks or using with FEXP if you use that for some reason

There are about a dozen several dozen battle sprites included with set up palette data so you can see how the program works, and eventually I'll add the rest of the GBA FE battle sprites (at least the generic classes), or you can load any of your own images, or even easily paste in an image you have copied

The program will work properly with more than 16 colors if you wish (up to 256), but I don't believe there are any situations where that would actually work in GBA FE so if you're using it for hacks it is not advised

FE Recolor download --- (old version)

You'll need .NET Framework 4 to run it, if the program doesn't work you probably need to download that:

.NET Framework

And if you need a program to view the palettes in your rom or insert the new ones you made, this one is compatible with FE Recolor

Or over here you can find the rest of the GBAFE sprites, like monsters and bosses

(as far as I can see there is no board here for hacking tools so I am posting this topic here, dealwithit?)

Edited by BwdYeti
new version

A recoloring tool set up to be used alongside hacking?

Really? What's the limitation of colors to edit? I've been looking for a mass recoloring tool on and off for the past few years, but the hobby seems too provincial to find one specifically for sprite editing and pixel art in general. Everyone prefers to use their fancy photoshops and gimps for everything D:

Really? What's the limitation of colors to edit?

The program will work properly with more than 16 colors if you wish (up to 256),

Edited by Camtech075

Not all images store their color palette indexes in the same manner. Depending on how the tool works, the easiest way it can go is it either directly edits these indexes, or it externally creates a new index in the program which can be used in placee--in some image formats, there may be one single value of red for the entire image, but the palette index is chock-full of that same index repeatedly. If his program will ignore the image's internal palette, and create its own, you don't have to worry about running out of slots in that 256 limit, so long as you're beneath 256 colors. If it's going by the image, repeated index entries will muck up the program.

I don't think he quite made that differentiation. But then again, most people aren't going to be using the image formats which will complicate anything.

It reads the colors as is from the image and stores them separately as an indexed image, so if you had multiple reds it would group them all together as one color. However if you started out with them not all the same red they would be separate, and then in the palette you create you could make different colors set to the same value

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I made some small updates so this is more compatible with this palette inserter thing. There's an 'import hex' button which is basically the opposite of 'copy hex to clipboard', and will add a new recolor for the open file using the hex color data on the clipboard.

Also the rar includes some 60ish GBA classes with their palettes already organized and labelled, so you won't have to set those up yourself

(I also added something for maps but honestly that was a year or two ago and I already forgot how that part works)

• 2 years later...

So, I've been dealing with a problem regarding this program. I have .NET Framework 4 as it's already installed, but when I boot up FE Recolor, I'm met with a blank screen with a palette number being 0 and an "Add" button at the bottom. I don't know what's going on.

unknown.png

Click the "Load Image" button :v

There could be two (immediately obvious) issues:

A) If you can't see that far down*, then your monitor lacks the vertical height necessary for the program, and in this situation I recommend using SNES Palette Editor.

B) Your .NET or FE Recolor itself is buggy and I can't help you.

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan

Sorry to bother, but this is something I had around for quite a time and I can't really fix it.

I used the program for a randomized play and I got Karel in Fighter class. So I changed him and update the game right away, but when I loaded the game once again he was with a different silhouette.

[spoiler=Screenshot.]Karel1.png

[spoiler=The recolor.]Karel2.png

Any help would be appreciated. It's not a big of a deal though, so my apologies again for bothering you.

P.S: I used BSPalette Assembler too, if it is of any help (I have had problems with it when I worked with FE8 ROMS though).

The number on the far right determines the order of the colors in the palette. Try messing with those to see if you can get those colors where they need to go (I see a few other out of place colors).

Also, in the future, you're better off creating a question in the actual Questions subforum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by ghast, January 5, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by ghast, January 5, 2017 - No reason given

does anyone know how to open it? I have the microsoft NET4 stuff but it doesn't open when I click on it (I get the "open file with an application to continue)

does anyone know how to open it? I have the microsoft NET4 stuff but it doesn't open when I click on it (I get the "open file with an application to continue)

So, I've been dealing with a problem regarding this program. I have .NET Framework 4 as it's already installed, but when I boot up FE Recolor, I'm met with a blank screen with a palette number being 0 and an "Add" button at the bottom. I don't know what's going on.

How did you get it to open?! .NET Framework 4 downloaded but it says I need to open it with an app so I'm like really confused here

Edited by ghast

Okay I'm back. I'm trying to use this to fix Bors's portrait in my randomizer. I change it to this http://imgur.com/gallery/nRHQ44d with the tool, use this http://imgur.com/gallery/9ASB9 to upload it to the rom, but end up with this http://imgur.com/gallery/e9LOr as my final product. I've tried messing with the order of the colors but it only makes it worse. How am I to fix this?

Edited by Tuvy