Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

Actually I have another favour. I'm not sure if you're anywhere near this kind of level, but if you get around to it, could you check the Battle Monk and Battle Cleric's caps in comparison to any other class? I have a feeling the current Defence cap for them is wrong, or something's wrong at least.

About that, are you sure the 20 Magic cap for Great Knights isn't a typo? All the other promoted classes have 30 minimum.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we have to re-download spotpass chars per file?

3:<

Dammit. I'll have to keep one save in constant limbo then if I want them all D: (I imagine they'll stop distribution of them eventually)

Still no word on a post game?

Come on, Othin, you haven't finished the game yet? :p

Othin. We know you don't have the exact numbers but now that you've played through it a bit can you give us some stats per character that seem to do really well.

(Like Callum is the typical no spd but high HP and Def Knight or more of a wendy/Meg knight.)

Played through several Gaidens. Tiki's was especially difficult; I imagine it takes considerably higher levels to survive it on the harder modes. Although I guess if you're killing less, it also means you don't get opened to as many attacks.

After Tiki's Gaiden, I was able to set up most of my pairings and unlock four more Gaidens for the children characters. Mark's and Loran's were easy, since they were set for lower levels; many enemies were unpromoted. Jerome's and Selena's kept up the promoted enemies that can actually put up a fight.

Both Mark and Jerome inherited MU's unlimited Change Seal options, including Strategist. Selena had Mercenary --> Knight / Thief / Pegasus Knight / Dark Mage. I'm not sure where Knight came from. Perhaps it was a replacement for Vake's Figher and Barbarian classes? It looks like there's more overlap here; one probably tried to turn into Pegasus Knight but couldn't.

Loran had Mage --> Dark Mage / Myrmidon / Archer / Cavalier / Barbarian. Finally, a character with a "regular" set of six. Archer, Cavalier, and Myrmidon are Sol's options, and I suppose Barbarian must be the replacement for Troubadour. Which means Loran always has Barbarian within his class set.

Regarding inherited skills, it looks like I was wrong. Someone on Gamefaqs claimed that the inherited skills were the last active skill in the parent's skill set, and for every character other than Krom, this seems to be the case. I guess Krom just passes down Aether no matter what. What made this especially clear was when Mark inherited Carrier and Magnificent Flame, then Othin leveled up after I finished that Gaiden and learned Rainbow Cry, then Jerome joined with Carrier and Rainbow Cry. This also confirms that it's set when you go into the Gaiden, not when you have the support conversation, since Othin passed down a skill he learned later. It seems to be set the first time you go into the Gaiden: exiting back to the world map and then returning doesn't appear to have any effect.

Ah, Berwick Saga. It's such a beautiful game.

So how does this measure up to Kaga's masterpiece? :p

Berwick Saga is currently my favorite video game. FE13 is fantastic so far, but I don't see it as on quite that level. When I can say is that FE13 is my favorite of the FE games yet, by a solid margin.

When you clear Chapter 4 the dimensional gate opens up (the pink point at the bottom of the map, with Anna).

The options are:

あそぶ (Play any DLC map you have)

追加マップ購入 (Buy and add DLC)

やめる (Exit)

Once you select the second option you need to use the touch controls from that point on.

On the DLC page the available maps will be listed with three buttons at the bottom:

残高の追加 (Add charge to your wallet)

購入/消去 (Buy/Delete)

終了 (Exit)

The SpotPass stuff can be used right away, but you need to enable it first. From the map menu, the middle button on the right is the Communications option.

The Communications page has six options:

マイチーム (My Team) デュアルタッグ (Dual Tag)

配信ボックス (DL Box) マイユニ名鑑 (MyUnit List)

名声ボーナス (Fame Bonus) いつの間に通信 (SpotPass Transmission)

First enable spotpassing with the last option (picking the option again will toggle it on/off). Then check the DL Box, which has five options:

配信チーム (DL Teams)

配信アイテム (DL Items)

配信マップ (DL Maps)

配信デュアル (DL Duals)

データ受信 (Receive Data)

Stuff should get added automatically once you've turned on spotpassing, but to check manually pick the last option.

To get a DL team to spawn pick the first option, which will bring up the teams grouped by game (I only have Seisen teams at the moment) and you can select one to spawn it on the map.

I'm still on my first playthrough, but I've heard that when you start a new game the DL teams get reset, so use them while you can. Fame carries over, and you can get the bonuses again in a new game.

I wish I had a decent camera!

Ah, thanks. I was able to get Sigurd to show up this way; I'll look into DLC later. His team is ridiculous, though. Every enemy is LV20, and they use Brave weapons and better. At least one enemy was using Gaebolg. I didn't stand a chance: I decided to try barricading myself in the starting room, but a Bow Knight shot through a wall and killed Lucina in one round. I'm just going to leave this for now and try it again when I have characters that can stand a bit of a better chance against them.

One thing I noticed was that the enemies did indeed have skills. Not all of them, but many enemies had one or two; the skills seemed to be randomly distributed, mostly focusing on skills from the enemy's class or earlier tier, but not always. I also noticed this in a couple of other chapters I was playing, although the skills weren't as frequent: in Tiki's map, enemies had one skill at most and always one they could access without Change Seals. I was surprised to see that they could actually use the skills properly: a Falcoknight used Speed Cry, although the enemy it helped didn't attack on that turn, and the effect wore off before the player phase. The skills were also less common, and were on a third of enemies at most. So enemies can definitely use skills on any difficulty level, but not as often on the lower ones.

Can one ajust MU's skin colour?

It would be stupid if Black MU(M) and Flavia get a white daughter.

I didn't see any option for it.

Hacking, which is currently impossible due to the 3DS's encryption, or guidebooks, which aren't out yet.

Actually I have another favour. I'm not sure if you're anywhere near this kind of level, but if you get around to it, could you check the Battle Monk and Battle Cleric's caps in comparison to any other class? I have a feeling the current Defence cap for them is wrong, or something's wrong at least.

My characters aren't anywhere near any caps at the moment, but if any of them cap Defense at any point and can access Battle Monk / Cleric, I'll try using a Change Seal on them to test that.

About that, are you sure the 20 Magic cap for Great Knights isn't a typo? All the other promoted classes have 30 minimum.

It showed up on two sites that had checked their caps independently, so that doesn't seem likely. One of those sites had a typo that listed its Str as 10 too low, but I still think it would be too much of a coincidence for them to have both had a typo with its Mag.

ah i see. well then i hope my unit has a decent enough magic growth as i really don't want her to be sub par compared to other mages

I've had no trouble having Othin use magic. He's at 10/15/1 (Strategist/Grandmaster/Dark Knight) and still hasn't raised his Sword rank to D.

Speaking of weapon ranks, I can confirm that WExp is still retained even when you lose a weapon type. Tiamo's promotion projections still showed her as having C Lances if I used a Change Seal to turn her back into a Pegasus Knight.

Othin. We know you don't have the exact numbers but now that you've played through it a bit can you give us some stats per character that seem to do really well.

(Like Callum is the typical no spd but high HP and Def Knight or more of a wendy/Meg knight.)

Actually, I can't. It all depends on classes, since they influence growths so much. For example, I could tell you Sol is a speed demon, but it's because I turned him into a Swordmaster. He was slower than Soiree when they were both Cavaliers, but she's a Great Knight now and he has 29 Speed to her 18.

It helps that I haven't been using her as much, either. As fun as Great Knights sound in theory, they seem to have issues. Low growths, maybe?

Edited by Othin

I have a question about changing classes. Say one is training Anna as a Trickster, and she has a B in swords and staves. If her class is changed to Assassin, but later changed back to Trickster, will she still have a B in staves or will she start back with an E in staves?

I don't want to lose her weapon levels because of this, yet I want to train her more. I've only used change proofs on the kids so I'm not sure if weapons levels carry over like this.

Edited by ReedTien

I have a question about changing classes. Say one is training Anna as a Trickster, and she has a B in swords and staves. If her class is changed to Assassin, but later changed back to Trickster, will she still have a B in staves or will she start back with an E in staves?

I don't want to lose her weapon levels because of this, yet I want to train her more. I've only used change proofs on the kids so I'm not sure if weapons levels carry over like this.

She will retain her B rank. WExp is retained even when it cannot be used; if you switch back to a class that can use it, you will be back at the same weapon level with the same WExp as you had before.

Edited by Othin

Basically spotpass team lists are save file specific. They just mean "collect" as in get the characters via spotpass like the first time round.

So If I had recieved Sigurd's spotpass team on a save on slot 1, then started a new game on slot 2 the day after I wouldn't have Sigurd's team on the second file. But both save files would get the new team(lets say Levin) for that day, I'd just have to wait until Sigurd is the team of the day again to get him on slot 2.

So, does this mean that one you get the SpotPass data, the characters will cycle through based on your save file, but they WILL come back?

I just want to make sure it's not like "Here he is! :awesome: Now, once you're done with this file YOU'LL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN! :evil:" because that would suck. :sob:

She will retain her B rank. WExp is retained even when it cannot be used; if you switch back to a class that can use it, you will be back at the same weapon level with the same WExp as you had before.

that is absolutely amazing

I NEED to go cavalier for a little bit, at the very least to get Discipline~

I'm confused about Ga11, Jerome's joining chapter. It appeared on Varm, and the earliest chapter it connects to is Ch17. So perhaps it's limited to once you've already gotten that far? Seems odd if the other children sidequests can be accessed as early as Ch13: the rest all appeared on Iris and looked like they wouldn't have those issues, including Loran's Ga14 and Mark's Ga15.

Fun.

Say, anyone know how you actually get the free DLC? I went to the gate and selected the second option, but I just got an error message. I had already connected the 3DS to my home internet and tried to do this at home, after using the same internet connection to get the SpotPass stuff, so I don't know why it would have an error.

Edited by Othin

Well. Thanks for that Othin. Between what you've told me, and what Vince has recorder, I got ya this:

Unit Breeding Chart. Seem there are a few combos that should, in theory get you more then 6 classes.

Feel free to plagiarize Vince.

anyone else finding it funny how we're breeding kids like Pokemon in this game

sadly, there is no competitive play

if there was, man would this be even funnier XD

Sorry more questions ^-^

Othin how do you rate this game? ^^'

Is Serge/Tiamo the new Haar? ^^'

What is the most interesting map yet?

Have you recruited Anna yet? In my mind I hear her music theme being Laughter/Going My Way oWo

I'm confused about Ga11, Jerome's joining chapter. It appeared on Varm, and the earliest chapter it connects to is Ch17. So perhaps it's limited to once you've already gotten that far? Seems odd if the other children sidequests can be accessed as early as Ch13: the rest all appeared on Iris and looked like they wouldn't have those issues, including Loran's Ga14 and Mark's Ga15.

It's worth noting that Azure's Gaiden cannot be accessed until after chapter 14, as it is on Varm also. I just found that out the hard way (wanted to train him after chapter 13, bleh).

Sorry more questions ^-^

Othin how do you rate this game? ^^'

Is Serge/Tiamo the new Haar? ^^'

What is the most interesting map yet?

Have you recruited Anna yet? In my mind I hear her music theme being Laughter/Going My Way oWo

I'm not big on x/10 scores. However, I think I can safely say that this game has earned a place on my list of favorite games, and if I were to add it to the current list right now, I'd put it at #8 - right ahead of Ocarina of Time, TearRing Saga, and Metroid Prime. I think two of those make for some good perspective on it.

Haar as in his FE10 performance? Well, they're not quite that broken. However, the mobility Griffin Knights can get with their Carrier skill is as ridiculous as it sounds. And while carrying someone to activate it, if she gets the right stat boosts, she really can be terrifying.

Out of the maps so far, Ch18 and Ch19 really stand out, both of them because of the pressures to move fast and quickly deal with substantial groups of powerful enemies.

I recruited Anna a while back, back after Ch9. I didn't use her at the time because of limited unit slots, but because you never have enough Chest Keys, I started bringing her for later chapters with chests to open all of them. Even after sitting out for quite a while, her bases were high enough that she was able to perform passably in combat and help out as a healer.

It's worth noting that Azure's Gaiden cannot be accessed until after chapter 14, as it is on Varm also. I just found that out the hard way (wanted to train him after chapter 13, bleh).

Interesting. I guess it's really just a couple of random Gaidens that are like that, then.

On another note, the site lists Noire's joining chapter as Ga12, but I'm right at the start of it and the game lists it as Ga15. I haven't checked the numbers of the other children sidequests to compare; are you able to check what your game say about any of them?

i have a question about my unit creation. i noticed you can pick a best and worst stat, does that change your bases or does it change growths possibly?

also what did you pick for yours?

I think it changes both. It also seems to have some effect on cap modifiers, and not just regarding those two stats.

I picked +Mag, -HP. The obvious "good" pick is +Spd, -Luck, but that's boring.

What chapter are you up to? If you're not up to chapter 23 yet, can you get some snippets of Flavia and Basilio's recruitment for me? JRPG's runthrough is pretty fast paced and might've skipped them over entirely and I need resolutions a certain spoileriffic thing. :<

Edit: nvm it was in the next video up

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Interesting. I guess it's really just a couple of random Gaidens that are like that, then.

On another note, the site lists Noire's joining chapter as Ga12, but I'm right at the start of it and the game lists it as Ga15. I haven't checked the numbers of the other children sidequests to compare; are you able to check what your game say about any of them?

Sure, but I've only gotten 4 of the children.

Mark - Gaiden 12

Azure - Gaiden 6

Selena - Gaiden 10 (brutal, because Selena seems to want to suicide)

Loran/Roland? - Gaiden 14

Edited by ReedTien

Regarding inherited skills, it looks like I was wrong. Someone on Gamefaqs claimed that the inherited skills were the last active skill in the parent's skill set, and for every character other than Krom, this seems to be the case. I guess Krom just passes down Aether no matter what. What made this especially clear was when Mark inherited Carrier and Magnificent Flame, then Othin leveled up after I finished that Gaiden and learned Rainbow Cry, then Jerome joined with Carrier and Rainbow Cry. This also confirms that it's set when you go into the Gaiden, not when you have the support conversation, since Othin passed down a skill he learned later. It seems to be set the first time you go into the Gaiden: exiting back to the world map and then returning doesn't appear to have any effect.

The last skill obtained or the last skill after rearrangement?

As for Krom, has anyone else actually got him to level 15+ master lord before accessing his other child's gaiden map? I ask, because Azure in the picture below has Royal Weapon. It could be Aether is default unless a level 15 skill is obtained by him.

azure_krom.png

Edited by Silent Mercenary

The last skill obtained or the last skill after rearrangement?

I think it's the last skill in the list when you start the Gaiden, meaning you can manipulate which skill they get before you start it.

I think it's the last skill in the list when you start the Gaiden, meaning you can manipulate which skill they get before you start it.

That would be awesome then, so I could transfer level 1 skills if I wanted (like Weapon Saver:) Which makes me wonder if Weapon Saver works on stones too. Velvet or Nono would have to pair up with Donny or Grego for it.