Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

Well, that's unfortunate. Can you keep doing that after the ending, or do you need to save in a separate slot?

You need to keep the save. I started a new game in a separate slot even though I don't intend to do anything with the old one. Going to try and fill up the support conversations in Normal next, then challenge Lunatic and Lunatic+.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on explaining the effectiveness and shortcomings of all the characters I used once I finish the game, which should partially contribute to this, but there aren't too many times when I'll be able to explain the specific details of classes.

That sounds promising. I'll look forward to it

About Skirmishes. If you go in with almost only low level units, will the enemy match that? Or are enemy levels tied to specific places (ie, tower of valni floor 1, always around 5-8, with a non moving promoted boss). Also, how does the arena work, as there are screen shots of the party fighting there (but I could be wrong about that).

Chapter 25 was crazy. I'm glad I have Serge, Mark, and Jerome all with the Carrier skill to fly in and kill those Slime users; I can't imagine completing the chapter without them, barring grinding, and fuck grinding. I'm sure there's a way, but damn. And yes, this is the lowest difficulty level, at least looking only at Classic modes. On to Final and its surely even greater insanity.

The Ch25 shop sells Brave weapons. Yes, all four types. I guess they really don't want you to run out of good supplies!

You need to keep the save. I started a new game in a separate slot even though I don't intend to do anything with the old one. Going to try and fill up the support conversations in Normal next, then challenge Lunatic and Lunatic+.

Alright, thanks for the warnings. I think I'll do the same, except I'm just going to take one step up to Hard for now.

About Skirmishes. If you go in with almost only low level units, will the enemy match that? Or are enemy levels tied to specific places (ie, tower of valni floor 1, always around 5-8, with a non moving promoted boss). Also, how does the arena work, as there are screen shots of the party fighting there (but I could be wrong about that).

Like FE8 skirmishes, the enemies are already determined: their team is set and visible while you're on the preparation screen selecting your team, so it's not dependent on which units you choose. The enemies seem to be just slightly stronger than the original enemies in the area from what I've seen, but I'm not certain it always works that way. What I know is, some extremely weak enemies appeared in the Prologue area relatively late in the game when I had to go back there to buy Tiamo a Bronze Bow, so it does seem to be dependent on the area rather than progress in the game. I should note that I don't think I've ever seen monster bosses be stationary.

There is no arena feature in FE13. Ch4's map is just set within an arena; that's all.

If one plays for turns, are the children likely to catch up with the first generation?

Depends. One important thing with the kids is to make sure you make their pairings fast so they join as soon as they can. I didn't make most of my pairings until after Ch18, and a lot of the kids had a hard time catching up as a result. On the other hand, Mark was one of the characters I didn't get until then and she quickly surpassed Serge, so who knows. Jerome is also doing great, but then that's because he inherited both Carrier and Rainbow Cry.

It was more of an issue for Selena, Loran, and Noire. Noire is doing okay, but she's still a bit behind. Selena isn't keeping up well at all; I stopped using her for a few chapters because I just couldn't justify bringing her over better characters. Similar story with Loran, except I never really used him at all. Joining early also didn't really help Degel. Perhaps more easy Gaidens around the same time would help with training her, though. On the other hand, Lucina joined around the same time, and she's of course doing fantastic.

If you want to ensure you get effective children, you're going to want to plan out who you're going to pair up and make it happen quickly, as well as working out what skills you're going to want to pass down and how. Once you get them, it's not hard for them to fight, as Double can let them give or get stat boosts and participate in combat on a reasonable level to get Exp.

Drafts for this game are going to be interesting, aren't they?

That they will. I'm thinking out an Othin-style ruleset for an FE13 draft I'm considering making, although addressing the children is a bit difficult. But perhaps we don't need to address them at all.

Edited by Othin

Maybe make it a males + Children draft. Where drating a child will allow you to use the mother as well? But in that case there to should be some backside to drafting the child.

Maybe do a normal draft where you are allowed to use the mothers only for support unless you drafted themselves too.

In any case the children are going to be a problem because Gaiden Chapters DO add turns tot he total.

Edited by Silith

Maybe make it a males + Children draft. Where drating a child will allow you to use the mother as well? But in that case there to should be some backside to drafting the child.

Maybe do a normal draft where you are allowed to use the mothers only for support unless you drafted themselves too.

In any case the children are going to be a problem because Gaiden Chapters DO add turns tot he total.

The FE4 solution is that when you draft a mother, you get their child for free (and the children aren't drafted). So if you drafted Miriel, you'd get Loran for free.

If the pairings are limited, then what would happen if you didn't draft any of the males the female unit could be paired with? Maybe not ban supports for undrafted units?

Personally, I prefer the idea of giving a few free turns on each Gaiden, but requiring the mother and child to be drafted separately. I think five free turns per Gaiden should be enough, and probably ten for Selena's. At least, on Normal Mode, I think that would be fine. I might want to go for Hard Mode for drafts just because low turns are absurdly easy on Normal, so we'll have to see.

No special allowances for supports for undrafted characters. Supports require dual combat, and I doubt any draft will allow that for undrafted units. Mine in particular, since any draft I might run for any game will determine use strictly by deployment. Free use for forced characters, but nothing for anyone else undrafted.

Pairings won't be a problem. Gen 1 females, at least the ones who can have kids other than Mark, can support any male other than Krom and Basilio. The only exception is Sumia, and Krom will be free on any draft regardless. Plus you could have one of them just support male MU regardless.

Edited by Othin

Probably a queastion that has already been answered. Is there a limit to the amount of ppl that can have 1 class.

(Or Can I mass up 15 Generals?)

MU, Frederick, Selena, Flavia, Mark, Callum, Soso, Sumia, Luciana, Cynthia, Sariya, Noire, Basilio, Degel

(and one more potentionally if I pair MU with someone else then Flavia (Wood if I paired MU with Liz for example))

Actually massing up Griffon Knights sounds better.

Probably a queastion that has already been answered. Is there a limit to the amount of ppl that can have 1 class.

(Or Can I mass up 15 Generals?)

MU, Frederick, Selena, Flavia, Mark, Callum, Soso, Sumia, Luciana, Cynthia, Sariya, Noire, Basilio, Degel

(and one more potentionally if I pair MU with someone else then Flavia (Wood if I paired MU with Liz for example))

Actually massing up Griffon Knights sounds better.

I have seen nothing to indicate any such limit.

Switching characters around even within their offered classes isn't always so easy, but it should be doable. Restrictions from starting at E rank with Bronze weapons, having to level up and use a Change Seal, and the limits on offered classes in the first place all seem like they're being treated as sufficient limitations on reclassing - and I'm inclined to believe that that treatment is correct.

Or you could only pair people you had in drafts-All of their children are fair game.

I don't like the idea of the females being two for the price of one characters, especially when there are eleven of them and therefore not easily divisible. This should make it so that one character equals one character.

---

Final boss spoilers.

Gimle's stats are a bit tamer in Normal than in that one screenshot. I guess those were from Lunatic as well.

HP: 80

Str: 35

Mag: 25

Skl: 30

Spd: 25

Luck: 25

Def: 35

Res: 30

This doesn't look too bad, especially when just last chapter I killed Inverse without even giving her a chance to counterattack. So slightly more challenging bosses are reasonable. His weapon also has 20 Mt, 80 Hit... and range 1-5. This should be exciting.

He also has Crimson Curse, and another skill that from what I've heard halves damage and disables the enemy's Counter skill, if they have it. This fits with the katakana I was able to read from the description.

Edited by Othin

So does MyUnit's portrait not change at all when class swapped?

This is correct. Same goes for all other characters.

It looks quite funny in dialogue scenes when Krom's portrait shows him with a bare shoulder but his 3D model shows both shoulders thoroughly covered by giant Great Knight armor.

I'm still a little bit confused about the available difficulty options. I know we have Normal, Hard, and Lunatic, and I'm assuming there's an Easy mode too, but then there's apparently Lunatic+? I heard that Lunatic itself was ridiculous, so I can only imagine what a potential L+ looks like.

I'm still a little bit confused about the available difficulty options. I know we have Normal, Hard, and Lunatic, and I'm assuming there's an Easy mode too, but then there's apparently Lunatic+? I heard that Lunatic itself was ridiculous, so I can only imagine what a potential L+ looks like.

I think it's just the way Japan names them. In Radiant Dawn the Japanese version is Normal, Hard, Lunatic whereas in Europe and the US we get have the same difficulties named Easy, Normal and hard respectively.

FE13 has 4 modes, Normal, Hard, Lunatic and Lunatic+. Though I guess with the option for casual mode included you'd sort of have 8 difficulty settings.

FE13 Normal really couldn't pass for Easy. It's about as difficult as FE8 Hard, which is about as difficult as a Normal mode should be, but not Easy.

After that FE9, it's concerning that NOA might consider FE13 Normal not easy enough to be the lowest difficulty level and cut something out of the harder difficulty levels to replace with a new Easy Mode. Which just makes me more glad I got the Japanese version. But then, Casual Mode should be enough to render that unnecessary.

Edited by Othin

Are there many Defend chapter maps? ^^' I love those.

All chapters have the objective as either defeating all enemies or killing the boss. Tiki's chapter functions as a Defend chapter, however, due to its setup, and a damn good one: you're getting swarmed by enemies from three directions, and they'll only attack your characters if they're blocking the path to Tiki. You have no cover, and on the player phase, you can't kill the enemies as fast as they appear; you just need to surround her with your own units and stay alive until the reinforcements stop. It was quite a challenge even on Normal; I'm scared to imagine it on higher difficulties.

Other maps tend to also force you into temporary defensive positions to withstand enemy attacks because you just couldn't win by rushing in until you delay a bit for the enemies' numbers to thin out.