Promoting early

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling a little stressed ATM, maybe trying to deal with a small child will help.

You're naive, I'm repeating myself because everyone else is repeating themselves when they're wrong.

No, I'm just sad that so many supposed vets here don't understand that a 10/20 character is far weaker than a 20/20 character and that it isn't that hard no does it take that long to get to 20 as a preprmote. No matter how you look at it its gimping your characters and your opinions that CC is boring doesn't change that promoting early still gimps you. There's a huge difference between a 10/20 and 20/20 character and CC makes it very clear. The Final Chapter also makes it clear, the game is easy but you'll have to be far more cautious with a 10/20 gimped character since they will lack the stats to hold their own on the late monsters. Especially not against the Draco Zombies that will 1 to 2 hit gimped characters and will be far more accurate due to your gimped characters have far lower stats.

For a bunch of veterans you seem adamant in trying to tell others that a 10/20 Character is somehow no weaker than a 20/20 Character in the Main Story(And 4 Stat Boosters isn't somehow going to cover the loss of stats for all your early promoted characters) when that is false. You also seem to be extremely lazy and a few minutes to clear a skirmish every once and while is somehow too hard to do. Skirmishes were put in to be done between chapters not to grind all at once. Furthermore CC is meant for the best of the best of your roster, a gimped character will not perform well in CC unless you're wiling to take 10-20 more turns per Stage in places like the Ruins where they throw ridiculous number of mobs at you. Even more as you go in deeper since your characters just wont stack up, now that's boring and a waste considering a 20/20 character will take far less time to clear such a place and you can invest your gold in making them better and not playing catch up.

As for that gold thing that's false, the items alone cost 10k each. Making up for lost stats(The more levels lost the more stats in all areas to make up) costs far more.

Thus there's no point in it unless you're okay with far weaker characters in the Main Game, want to try and rush through the early to mid chapters, and have no plans for CC.

I hope none of you plan on playing Awakening since the game's system encourages grinding far more than Sacred Stones.

If it's the obvious than there should be no argument. You know you're gimping your Characters by promoting earlier, you know it's cost a great deal to bring all your characters up to speed, you know that the game literally throws EXP at you yet choose to ignore it, thus there's no point in continuing this. I'm right that waiting is better because of how SS is set up. Though if you're impatient and care not for CC, play on Easy/Normal, or don't mind that you gimped your characters for the rest of the game than feel free to just stomp through the early chapters with early promotions and have more issues in the Final Chapters. More power to you.

Yes, those enemies will still be an issue if you promoted your Characters early. At 20/20 they aren't an issue except the harder things like the DracoZombies while at 10/20 you will have to be far more cautious as you approach Lyon and his posse or you're looking at a few dead Characters.

And no, those aren't valid excuses against what I've put out. No matter how you look at it you're gimping your characters and most players aren't super stars that can clear the final Chapters with weakened characters. Thus the OP should know that eary promotions only help in the short term while waiting benefits you for the rest of the game and beyond.

Furthermore yu say not to bother yet you continue to spam. When do you plan to contribute? Clearly you do care enough to post even if it's just spam and contributes nothing at all.

Look at it this way.

We go from ORKOing to ORKOing?

Where's that wonderful argument about Seth not stealing exp, it may open up something.

Pay attention will you? Promotion at 10 denies you 10 level ups. That's pretty huge in of itself. Promoting at 18 isn't as bad but if you're already there than it wouldn't kill you to wait for 2 more level ups. After all EXP is not scarce by any means in the main game.

You call me a child yet you're the one throwing the fit and tossing rude comments when you don't have your way. Facts are facts and the facts support that waiting is far better than rushing things. Waiting not only brings out the best of your Characters in the Main Game but also makes things far more enjoyable than rushing a promotion at 10, stomping everything, than wondering why your characters have started to fall off at the last part of the game.

Yes, I did mention that Seth can be used o set up kills. Though if the player is even in more of a rush than they don't care about just rushing Seth in and having him solo most of the game at the cost of even more gimped characters. Giving him Iron at least ensures he wont 2 hit kill everything by mid game, no dice early game which, even on Hard, isn't that harsh against prepromotes early on. Promotions are only needed mid to end game not early game.

Pay attention will you? Promotion at 10 denies you 10 level ups. That's pretty huge in of itself. Promoting at 18 isn't as bad but if you're already there than it wouldn't kill you to wait for 2 more level ups. After all EXP is not scarce by any means in the main game.

You call me a child yet you're the one throwing the fit and tossing rude comments when you don't have your way. Facts are facts and the facts support that waiting is far better than rushing things. Waiting not only brings out the best of your Characters in the Main Game but also makes things far more enjoyable than rushing a promotion at 10, stomping everything, than wondering why your characters have started to fall off at the last part of the game.

Yes, I did mention that Seth can be used o set up kills. Though if the player is even in more of a rush than they don't care about just rushing Seth in and having him solo most of the game at the cost of even more gimped characters. Giving him Iron at least ensures he wont 2 hit kill everything by mid game, no dice early game which, even on Hard, isn't that harsh against prepromotes early on. Promotions are only needed mid to end game not early game.

You know, there's a guy called dondon who does 0% growths runs

He did lategame with prepromotes at base, and units with base+promo gains.

Point is, you don't need extraordinary stats to beat the game.

You don't even need any stats aside from like.

bases or base+promo gains.

Eh, it's like argueing with Crash all over again.

Oh wait, at least Crash has a brain.

Promotions aren't even needed though. Seth is set to beat the game without any resources, they just improve his performance more. I think someone had a 6/2 Eirika once and they got through the entire game just fine. 10 level ups equate to maybe 30 stats in total. Some of these stats will be fairly useless (skill, luck, to a lesser extent HP and res) so you're not missing an awful lot. Promotions are major boons to some characters, as it gives them an immediate boost in stats they lack (like Garcia's speed).

Stop being so aggressive.

They don't. if you promote a unit early, it doesn't mean that they stop gaining XP. If you compared Franz at 12/1 and 20/1, it's obvious who has better stats. However, you don't prmote them at the same time. The first Franz can be promoted by Phantom Ship, the second Franz might not promote until the desert. By the desert, 12/1 Franz is probably going to be around level 5. So it's 12/5 Franz vs 20/1 Franz. By endgame, both will probably gain 10 or so levels. So that's 12/15 Franz vs 20/11 Franz. Suddenly that early promo doesn't look so bad. Even if we dialled back our early promo Franz a few levels, he's still going to be able to do the same job. XP gain slows down, by level 18, you're getting pretty much nothing from unpromoted enemies.

Unless you're grinding, nobody's going to reach 20/20 in FE8, so promoting them early does no harm - in fact it does good. You need to look at other view points before you declare them worthless and thrust forward your own.

I promised myself I'd stay out of it, but just one thing:

> Facts are facts.

> Coming from the troll who's brought up 0 analysis to support his argument, relying solely on intensifiers and the odd boss stat without any context.

Kindly fuck off.

How about no? Just because you lack the will to do anything but leave rude comments doesn't mean that I'll let you push me around when you haven't contributed a single thing at all. Really, you're coming off as pathetic. You have no reason to continue posting here since you aren't engaged in the conversation and none of your posts have added anything but spam. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

I care not for this Dondon who has nothing to do with this.

Point being that if you're doing CC than there's no option but to wait. I already said the game can be beaten(with more effort and time) if you rush promotions or don't promotions at all. If you don't care if you have gimped Characters and don't want to do CC than more power to you. After all 20/20 is more for End Game and getting the most out of your characters by using the resources available to you.

Stop patting the backs of those who only entered this topic to call me a troll and that's it. Maybe if you called them out on their rudeness I wouldn't have to assume that you're okay with their spam.and support them.

Edited by Fanfaire

There's a few reasons to wait until level 20 to promote, but making a barely noticeable difference in Endgame and onwards isn't one of them, and not a lot of units are at level 20 when there's typically no reason to wait anymore. It's not like anyone's doing an entire Tellius saga playthrough, where reaching level 20 promoted in PoR, let alone 20/20, can net a character free stat boosts in RD.

Seriously though, can we report this guy already? All of his posts contain hypocritical statements, and terrible logic that's been refuted many times over. Not to mention, the OP's question was answered four pages ago.

Edited by Little Al

How about no? Just because you lack the will to do anything but leave rude comments doesn't mean that I'll let you push me around when you haven't contributed a single thing at all. Really, you're coming off as pathetic. You have no reason to continue posting here since you aren't engaged in the conversation and none of your posts have added anything but spam. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Point being that if you're doing CC than there's no option but to wait. I already said the game can be beaten(with more effort and time) if you rush promotions or don't promotions at all. If you don't care if you have gimped Characters and don't want to do CC than more power to you. After all 20/20 is more for End Game and getting the most out of your characters by using the resources available to you.

Stop patting the backs of those who only entered this topic to call me a troll and that's it. Maybe if you called them out on their rudeness I wouldn't have to assume that you're okay with their spam.and support them.

It'd be easier on you if you just stop posting. You already gave us all a bad impression of you, and I'm sure no one wants to put up with your bullshit anymore.

You see I don't care if jerks don't like me. So no, I'm not going to change my opinion or run away with my tail between my legs just because a bunch of jerks that are only spamming want me to shut up since they can't stand to hear any other opinion but their own. Unlike the jerks I admit there is merit to early promotions but there are also downsides, the jerks though are adamant that early promotions are only beneficial and that not using the games resources is somehow more effective.

I see that you're just here to contribute nothing again. You don't like me and I don't like you, it would be best if you just stop trying to pick fights with me and just leave already. It would serve you far better than continuing with your spam.

Edited by Fanfaire

They don't. if you promote a unit early, it doesn't mean that they stop gaining XP. If you compared Franz at 12/1 and 20/1, it's obvious who has better stats. However, you don't prmote them at the same time. The first Franz can be promoted by Phantom Ship, the second Franz might not promote until the desert. By the desert, 12/1 Franz is probably going to be around level 5. So it's 12/5 Franz vs 20/1 Franz. By endgame, both will probably gain 10 or so levels. So that's 12/15 Franz vs 20/11 Franz. Suddenly that early promo doesn't look so bad. Even if we dialled back our early promo Franz a few levels, he's still going to be able to do the same job. XP gain slows down, by level 18, you're getting pretty much nothing from unpromoted enemies.

Unless you're grinding, nobody's going to reach 20/20 in FE8, so promoting them early does no harm - in fact it does good. You need to look at other view points before you declare them worthless and thrust forward your own.

12/1 Franz by Tirado's chapter is possible.

no, it's spelled dondon you uncultured cunt.

You know, it's because these guys have the skill and etc. to back themselves up.

You have, lolwut?

There's a few reasons to wait until level 20 to promote, but making a barely noticeable difference in Endgame and onwards isn't one of them, and not a lot of units are at level 20 when there's typically no reason to wait anymore.

Seriously though, can we report this guy already? All his posts contain terrible logic that's been refuted many times over, and the OP's question was answered four pages ago.

indeed and hopefully this will be the end of it.

Otherwise, lobotomy or hemispherectomy might work.

You're wrong yet again, though I wont even bother with you since you're clearly too uncivilized to deal with. Expand your vocabulary a bit and come back when you've gained some maturity.

Edited by Fanfaire

Is Sharpy wrong? Who knows, you haven't even tried to form an argument against him.

If you are not a troll, PROVE IT. Bring up the stats that Golden Cucco posted, the average stats of some units, and try to JUSTIFY your opinion.

You'll find many people here will be a lot more civilised when you come into the realm of logic.

You again? Those stats just came up but there came too late to make a difference. Had the stats come before instead of all the personal attacks against me than I wouldn't feel that my efforts would be in vain since even if I do address them you'll continue spamming and attacking me. Besides, you're already dead set that your way is the only way so there's no use talking to you and I for one care not if your opinion is changed since I'm not here to convince a stubborn old mule like you. At least I admit the others has merit but unlike you I'm not blind to the downsides.

Edited by Fanfaire

You again? Those stats just came up but there came too late to make a difference. Had the stats come before instead of all the personal attacks against me than I wouldn't feel that my efforts would be in vain since even if I do address them you'll continue spamming and attacking me. Besides, you're already dead set that your way is the only way so there's no use talking to you and I for one care not if your opinion is changed since I'm not here to convince a stubborn old mule like you. At least I admit the others has merit but unlike you I'm not blind to the downsides.

Quoted forever.

Also, it's not a personal attack.

Get real, your logic is so old.

Is Sharpy wrong? Who knows, you haven't even tried to form an argument against him.

If you are not a troll, PROVE IT. Bring up the stats that Golden Cucco posted, the average stats of some units, and try to JUSTIFY your opinion.

You'll find many people here will be a lot more civilised when you come into the realm of logic.

You again? hose stats just came up but there came too late to make a difference. Had the stats come before instead of all the personal attacks against me than I wouldn't feel hat my efforts would be in vain. Besides, you're already deadset that your way is the only way so there's no use talking to you. At least I admit the other has merit but unlike you I'm not blind to the downsides.

You know something.

In all these little discussions and debates, I'm considered to be an idiot.

But seriously, you have no back-up, and no form of justification.

GO back to gfaqs.

no wait, people on there are too smart.

go back to 4chan.

Edited by The Gentleman

I see that you failed to take my advice and haven't changed a bit. You clearly don't like me so do yourself a favor and just stop replying if you are only going to hurl personal attacks. Furthermore you aren't my father or my mother so there's no reason I should give in to your demands no matter how loud you scream them or how large a tantrum you throw. Face it, you aren't always going to have you way. Deal with it and move on, this is just getting sad.

Edited by Fanfaire

Wrong. Lumi/Zhuge Liang produced some stats on page 2, which you ignored. From early on, you should have known what was expected.

The minute you put any evidence whatsoever, I'll focus my efforts on that. All you had is hearsay and Personal Experience, so I pulled out until you had the gall to suggests you were dealing in facts.

This topic is now about HOW UNITS PERFORM BASED ON THEIR PROMOTION LEVEL

If you do not provide some hard facts, and use any sort of smokescreen, I will report you. This is the point of no return for you, troll or not.

I did no such thing.

And the talk of performance supports waiting since the game hurls EXP at you. So promoting earlier doesn't mean a thing since you can simply build up your strength before tackling another Chapter. This isn't like the other GBA FE games that only have a limited number of stages thus early promotions have clear perks. That isn't the case in SS due to infinite and easy to get EXP even in just the story mission.

I could care less, you haven't contributed yet so your words mean nothing.

You can threaten me all you want for I'm not frightened since I've done no wrong except offer an opinion that you disagree with yet you have chosen to instead spam, troll, flame, and the such instead of contributing.

Edited by Fanfaire

It's really not nice seeing this shit first thing when I wake up on my day off.

Neither side is truly innocent here. Fanfaire, first and foremost, you need to learn how to interact with the community. There are common standards of argument here and, though you don't have to agree with them, acknowledge them and don't just blatantly say everyone is wrong. Sometimes you need to take a step back and view things from another angle. Sometimes you need to either admit to being wrong or just stop posting.

Everyone else, baiting gets nowhere. Continuously calling someone a troll and comments like "uncultured cunt" are quite out of line. If you can't think of a better, more civilized way to get your point across, stop posting, and take it somewhere else if you need to. Heated debates aren't uncommon around here, but there are still lines to be crossed.

Whether or not warns will be handed out will be determined later.

If you have any questions or concerns, PM me.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire