Speed Reading

Given the title, I'm sure one would assume I'm going to post, like, my word-per-minute reading speed or something, but I'm less concerned with that for now. I looked up some tips online (yeah, I know it would be better to take an official class, but this is all I've got) and tried some of them out, like reading chunks of words while not letting my mind pronounce them.<br><br>But what I've noticed is that as I read, the amount I understand is roughly 0%. Is this normal, and the information will just come later after I process it? Or should I be worried about this?

<div><br></div><div>EDIT: Oh and I guess people can discuss speed reading as a whole with what tactics they like most or whatever.</div>

Edited by 47948201

But what I've noticed is that as I read, the amount I understand is roughly 0%. Is this normal, and the information will just come later after I process it? Or should I be worried about this?

IDK... That happens way too often to me as well and i often have to reread something a couple of times to really understand it... the first, it never sticks... the second i misread it... the third and other attempts is going slowly and making sense of every word until i get it... :mellow:

It doesn't happen everytime, but it does happen often enough that it makes me think i don't know how to read at times.

If you aren't understanding any of it, then maybe speed reading isn't for you.

However, if you are still having trouble, you could always try reading stuff you are interested in and are familiar with and then see how much of that you can process back.

I wouldn't suggest pure outright speed reading for an information text. Try skimming first by looking for key words, which, in a textbook or something, are usually bolded or stand out. Big and unfamiliar words also can be important. Then read the text again at a regular pace if you feel you need to go over it again.

One thing I've found is when you speedread/skim stuff is that you'll catch words here and there, and from those you'll be able to piece together what's going on. I've heard that your brain subconsciously absorbs the stuff so you might not realize you know it, as weird as that sounds.

If you just want a way to cut back on the amount of reading, generally reading the first sentence of each paragraph give you pretty much everything you need.

• 1 month later...

This read.

1) Speed-reading: if you get something you don't like and you try to go faster to have less hassle at reading that or you just try to exercise yourself.

2) Learning-reading: Focused on proper parts that are going to be somehow briefed with your words so you can assimilate them better (if you study for example).

3) Normal-reading: You read the way you prefer (it could even been speed-reading the way you prefer or slow-reading why not)

:D

First words of paragraphs = general overview

Reading everything at remarkable speed = normal

There are no settings in between. And yes, I do get told that I read at remarkable speeds and are you speed reading, when I've taken in every word on the page.