Elibean Nights

Arch

You know...I wonder how old Canas and Pent are. Lucius and Erk too. Erk looks teenage, Lucius looks like me with straighter hair, and Pent looks early 30's. But he has grey hair. Maybe that's just the stress of being a ruling figure. Canas looks to be around 28.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pent looks early 30's. But he has grey hair.

This in a series with plenty of blue, green and the occaisonal purple? I'm not sure hair colour can be linked to age here.

In fact, even in real life hair colour isn't necessarily representative of age. Albinos are white all their life, some people who go white at 30ish thanks to quirky genetics, there are some people who are naturally platinum, and that's not even getting into all of the dye available.

Edited by Wayward Winds

You know...I wonder how old Canas and Pent are. Lucius and Erk too. Erk looks teenage, Lucius looks like me with straighter hair, and Pent looks early 30's. But he has grey hair. Maybe that's just the stress of being a ruling figure. Canas looks to be around 28.

It's more silver than grey/white. I wager it was done in part to make Pent look regal and noble.

Pent and Louise are probably in their thirties.

One thing I do with every anime-esque video game is age everyone up by five years. It does wonders.

But yeah Jaffar and Nino is creepy as shit. Brother-sister, sure, but that's it.

Their paired ending does have them marry. But it is still creepy as shit regardless.

It doesn't help that the FE community trends toward a creepy Nino fixation on top of it...

Edited by Siuloir

Edit: FEwiki says he's 17, ok fair enough. He and Nino are now more within range of each other than expected. There's only a three year difference lol so no pedobear going on here. I still think he looks way older than 17 but eh, Lyn is supposed to be 13, lol.

So one year after FE7, it turns into 18/15 and then Jaffar goes to jail for statutory rape.

Also, I guess I'm supposed to trust unsourced wiki information for character ages? And Lyn is 16/18 (in the US)?

Edited by Arch

It's normal in medieval settings for 30+ year-old men to marry 15 year-olds. So I don't see anything wrong if Jaffar is in his 20's.

Edited by The Joker

So one year after FE7, it turns into 18/15 and then Jaffar goes to jail for statutory rape.

Also, I guess I'm supposed to trust unsourced wiki information for character ages? And Lyn is 16/18 (in the US)?

Serenes Forest lists Lyn's age being changed from 15 to 18 in the localisation.

It's normal in medieval settings for 30+ year-old men to marry 15 year-olds. So I don't see anything wrong if Jaffar is in his 20's.

An excellent argument for returning to medieval morality in today's day and age!

FE has magic and shit in it. I don't see why it has to be uber realistic about rampant sexism and racism and bigotry and jesus the middle ages were kinda awful for literally everyone who wasn't a king.

to be fair fire emblem is also a series along with many other games where you can murder a bunch of people with no repercussions because "they're the bad guys". game morality truly is something. that and japan is fucking weird.

that said the thing that offends me is both of Jaffar's and Nino's personalities more than anything.

did you have to link that haku

Edited by Tryhard

People talk about age but it's not like it actually matters. You can tell me all day that Nowi is 1,000 years old but it's still not "true". I dunno why it is but Japan likes to stretch ages for some reason.

That and a 6 year gap is really not considered that strange when you get past 30's/40's generally.

Edited by Tryhard

Hey, my grandparents are six years apart from each other in age. Just saying.

That gap is a lot less noticeable even in say the mid 20s-30s than it is when you have a 13 year old and a 19 year old, for example.

I don't get what's creepy about Jaffar x Nino. They're around the same age.

People talk about age but it's not like it actually matters. You can tell me all day that Nowi is 1,000 years old but it's still not "true". I dunno why it is but Japan likes to stretch ages for some reason.

Pretty much what Tryhard is saying. Also quite possibly the fact that Nino looks about ten years old, and the setup to their relationship is pretty dysfunctional

An excellent argument for returning to medieval morality in today's day and age!

FE has magic and shit in it. I don't see why it has to be uber realistic about rampant sexism and racism and bigotry and jesus the middle ages were kinda awful for literally everyone who wasn't a king.

In all paired endings, Hector and Eliwood now exercise their right to prima nocta!

Yeaaah, you can't help but think fantasy as a genre has made the middle ages look a lot more appealing than they actually were. Even kings didn't have it that great, with rampant health issues being common. But, digressions.

Hey, my grandparents are six years apart from each other in age. Just saying.

see the thing is that i assume your grandparents met when they were actual adults.

The problem isn't age gaps themselves. The problem is the fact that one of the people in this pairing is underage, and the other is not. If you can't see the moral difference between those two things, please read up on your local laws concerning statutory rape, consider how you'd look behind bars, and then do us all a favour and never advocate it ever again. Christ.

see the thing is that i assume your grandparents met when they were actual adults.

The problem isn't age gaps themselves. The problem is the fact that one of the people in this pairing is underage, and the other is not. If you can't see the moral difference between those two things, please read up on your local laws concerning statutory rape, consider how you'd look behind bars, and then do us all a favour and never advocate it ever again. Christ.

Wtf? Statutory rape only comes up when sex is involved, not relationships. Even then, I believe certain places have laws where statutory rape won't apply if the relationship began when both parties were underage.

Also, Jaffar isn't 30 or anything nor is Nino 10 or something. Jaffar is much younger than he looks.

Age of consent laws didn't even exist as we know them in the time period that the games are emulating.

What I'm trying to say is, stop applying modern day laws (which aren't even consistent across countries or even within countries) to a society that differs from today's society.

BTW, using the 'magic and dragons' argument is the weakest counterpoint.

EDIT: This is getting out of hand. Let's drop it.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Man, cunts on the internet sure love taking their discussions about VIDEO GAMES to the damn extremes.

Hey look, Jaffar and Nino are a couple, that's bad because he's too old for her. Never mind the fact that he's a fucking emotionless murderer with no empathy, never mind the fact that he's apart of an underground league of assassins, no, but his age is where it's at you fucks, get on that shit because it's a big fucking deal.

Who cares about the fact that Prissy wants to bone her fucking brother so bad even though all he wants to do is fulfill his gay fantasies with Hector shoving the handle of Armad's up his arse, but lo and behold if Raven was just a couple years older than Pris, 'cause then you'd all fall apart at the seems, frothing at the fucking mouth.

CG57.png

Lyn is like, 13 in the Japanese version, so look at this and just fucking see how bloody rapey it looks. It's insane, you can almost see Hector's throbbing erection pop up from the bottom of the screen. Why aren't any of you complaining about this if you're so against Jaffar and Nino? It's pretty much on the same scale.

Edited by NICKTâ„¢

What I'm trying to say is, stop applying modern day laws (which aren't even consistent across countries or even within countries) to a society that differs from today's society

There's no society here, though. If you want to look at games for morality, you will find they are very out of touch with either medieval or modern society or indeed any society because they are fucking insane. It's just fantasy, and game logic rules. Looking to equate it to any sort of society is foolish, in my opinion. That goes both ways.

It is a little worrying that any mention of a relationship and peoples minds go directly to sex, though.

EDIT: This is getting out of hand. Let's drop it.

Done.

Man, cunts on the internet sure love taking their discussions about VIDEO GAMES to the damn extremes.

Lyn is like, 13 in the Japanese version, so look at this and just fucking see how bloody rapey it looks.

Lyn is 15 in the japanese version for reference. And in case you mistook me for someone actually caring, then no, I do not. There's a lot weirder things than Nino and Jaffar.

Reminder that you didn't need to become a cunt and join the discussion.

Edited by Tryhard

And here I thought you were done with your too cool for school routine.

It is a little worrying that any mention of a relationship and peoples minds go directly to sex, though.

Done.

In a romantic relationship? That's not worrying. Intimacy is a pretty core element to relationships.

Also done - This is starting to look like an Awakening thread. *zing*

And here I thought you were done with your too cool for school routine.

In a romantic relationship? That's not worrying. Intimacy is a pretty core element to relationships.

Hey, I'm more than content with people having intellectual discussions about their favourite video games, but when people begin sodding about a relationship between two characters as being wrong because of age when there are other things more worth actually pointing out? Yeah, I get pissed. I get absolutely pissed when people complain about an aspect of one thing when largely of the same exact thing there's other aspects which have more to complain about.

I raised other points just to clarify that, you get people saying that it's bad for Nino and Jaffar because he's older, when there's definitely more wrong with the idea. I accept that within video games, devs tend to go a bit extreme with things, one of my favorite games is amongst the Metal Gear series which is known for being absolutely absurd, but if you're going to begin pointing out these things then make sure you're not exactly missing the more serious points.

[spoiler=look at me, still shitting up the thread]

Sure. But it's not the entirety of a relationship, even if it is a big part. Just as big a part as the other parts in a relationship, I would think... unless it was just a casual one.

Perhaps I'm biased because I'm asexual, but yeah. A little strange to me.

What was the topic before, anyway?