What's with Gale's AI?

I was playing Chapter 21 (Normal Mode) and Team Gale arrived, as usual, and performed their typical hug-your-units strategy. Yet when I killed off his other units, he began attacking, and killed Dieck ._.

So I guess his AI is to surround your units, but attack if all of his units are killed?

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

• 8 years later...

Gale won't attack if you talk to him with Melady and Zeiss (or just, Melady, im not sure), i've read in FE wiki that once you've talked to him with Melady he should stop attacking and that his reinforcements would surround her, which is shown in this video: 

But my experience was very different, Galle only stopped attacking once I made Melady and Zeiss go far from his range (which was also 1 or 2 turns after both of them have talked to him, maybe that was the reason and not the "out of the range" thing), then he went to the top of the screen and stayed there waiting to die while his reinforcements started to attack my other units, also (before taking Melady out of Galle's range) Galle's reinforcements didn't surrounded Melady like FE wiki and the video say they should, idk if it was because they were in positions that made it impossibble or if it was a bug of anything.

Also in FE wiki says that after you speak to Galle with Melady he won't attack anyone anymore (it says nothing about his conversation with Zeiss), he will only attack Roy, and also that if you rescue Roy then for some reason Galle you start attacking everyone again. I didn't confirm this thats what says there.

Also now I though how sad it is that Galle stops attacking everyone after speaking to Melady and then go to the corner of the screen, is like he lost his will to win or even to live and is now hiding or just waiting to die (since he doesn't even try to go out of your units ranges)...