Behind the Door

Party Moth

Kind of a somewhat surreal and disturbing piece I wrote a few nights ago. Hope someone enjoys it and makes sense out of it. Also, kinda spoilers for FE7.

Behind the Door

Eliwood blinked. The door stood before him, tightly shut. He wondered if he should knock or not. He was growing impatient, but his manners prevented him from acting on it.

“What’s the matter, Eliwood?” Hector was beside him (when did he get there). He gave his usual grin, hand precariously gripping his axe.

Eliwood sighed and turned to his companion. “Ninian’s behind the door, Hector. I’m waiting for her to open it.”

Hector inspected the door for a second. “I don’t think it’s going to open, Eliwood.”

Eliwood frowned (how does he know that). “You think so?”

“Yeah, it’s not opening.”

He gazed back at the door. He wanted to knock, he really did. But it was rude to do so, so he chose not to. “Ninian can open the door. I’m waiting on her.” He could not hear anything on the other end of the door. But he knew Ninian was there.

Hector shrugged and stood there with him, waiting (for what). They were quiet. Eliwood readjusted his stance, the echo of his boots reverberating throughout the hall (where am I).

Hector coughed. “Should I…try to open the door?”

Eliwood balked at the idea. “No. It’s rude. She’ll come out of her own accord.”

He caught the sight of Hector’s hand retreating to his side (he contemplated doing it anyway). “I see…” Hector glanced to the side, tapped his foot, showed his impatience. Eliwood really wanted to just tap his knuckles on the door, see if she’d give a “just a minute, Eliwood” or “I’ll be out in a second” (she’s not there). But he knew Ninian was there.

They didn’t speak for some time. He still heard nothing from the other end of the door.

“You sure you don’t want me to knock or something?” Hector seemed concerned.

“No. She’ll come out of her own accord.”

There was a pause. Hector looked pale. “Hey, Eliwood, I’m gonna go lie down.”

He scowled. “But Ninian’s almost out. You can’t wait for her?”

He didn’t say anything (he couldn’t), he just turned and began walking off. Eliwood felt a little offended by Hector’s actions (where did he go), but couldn’t fault him since he felt a bit impatient himself. But he knew Ninian was there. So he’d wait (stop waiting).

A considerable pause. Silence from the other end of the door. The echoes of someone’s footsteps caught his attention. He turned and saw Lyn (open the door).

“How long are you just going to wait there, Eliwood?” She seemed slightly disapproving.

He frowned. “As long as I have to. She’ll come out of her own accord.” With Lyn standing still he heard nothing now, not even behind the door. But he knew Ninian was there (she’s not there).

Lyn’s mood worsened (listen to her). “I think Hector had the right idea. You should knock on the door.”

Eliwood scoffed, “That would be rude. No.”

Too much silence (no one is left to talk). Lyn eyed the door. “Eliwood, I’m going to open it.”

“No.” He reaffirmed his stance again (get in control).

She groaned (coughing, spluttering). “I’m sorry Eliwood, but we can’t wait any longer. Nergal’s here.”

His eye twitched (reality’s knocking), “Don’t speak that name here. She’ll come out of her own accord. Don‘t you hear her behind the door?”

Lyn grew frustrated. “Eliwood, I hear nothing behind the door. I’m going to open it.”

He sighed (a roar of rage). “I’m waiting on Ninian. Wait with me, Lyn.” Only their words echoed through the hall. But he knew Ninian was (not) there (she’s not there stop pretending).

“Eliwood…I’m going to open the door.” She began to move toward the door (to destroy his reality).

He forced his hand onto her shoulder (the touch lighting like fire on her skin). “No. She’ll come out of her own accord.”

Her eyes met his with (fear) indignation. “Let go, Eliwood. I have to open the door.”

His resolve was set (stop don’t do this oh Mother Earth listen). “No. It’s rude.” There was no noise behind the door (what door there’s no door Eliwood listen to me). But he knew Ninian (no one) was there.

She struggled (gripping his hand stop it Eliwood I can’t breathe), so he saw fit to tighten his grip on her shoulder and wrap an arm around her waist (she could see her own blood everywhere- oh Father Sky was it boiling- that damned blade- he’s watching Eliwood, just watching and laughing please listen). He would not let her open the door until Ninian was ready. He could have sworn he heard (Lyn’s pained shrieks) something besides the silence in the hall (Eliwood we’re the only ones left……). For a moment he doubted himself (please…..); maybe Ninian wasn’t behind the door (…liwood…).

…But he knew Ninian was there (…).

Lyn stopped protesting, much to his pleasure. She simply stood there with him in silence, waiting for Ninian. He wondered where Hector was, but if he wasn’t feeling well then that was alright. For a moment, it was quiet and peaceful. Then he heard something behind the door.

“I think she’s finally opening the door,” he told Lyn. She didn’t respond.

He heard the doorknob click and twist.

It opened, and he was met with fire.

• 1 month later...

I can... empathize with that.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0sq0H40SbPU

I was hoping you were gonna read the dialogue for this one.

I felt like most of the text in ()s felt unnecessary, but to be honest, their presence as a motif (punctuational motif) was kind of a hinderance for me. If I tried to read it more seriously, I might take them more seriously. Incidentally, most of what follows plays off of them.

He didn't say anything (he couldn't), he just turned and began walking off. Eliwood felt a little offended by Hector's actions (where did he go), but couldn't fault him since he felt a bit impatient himself. But he knew Ninian was there. So he'd wait (stop waiting).

I have to say that the stuff here didn't read well to me. It didn't seem to make sense to me that Eliwood would have a feeling of what Hector could or couldn't find to say, so I was tempted to read it either as some kind of subconscious realization that he has no voice because it's a dream/coma environment, or that this parenthesis held some of Hector's thoughts rather than Eli's. I know, of course, that some of these come across more as imperatives, or dialogue, rather than merely thoughts.

In general, though, I thought it was a decent thing to read. Having suffered from paranoid delusions, or rather having such delusions, affects some of my sense of it

"I'm acting weird, but not so weird that there's reason for them to act weird, why are they acting weird, are they being affected by my internal messedupness, is this some kind of dream?"

Hector needing to just go lie down certainly matches my experience with other people during periods like these...it's weird how it "feels" like being around you and interacting with you actually makes them feel unwell (or act as though they are, who knows), and it's uncomfortable that while the assumption they're simply trying to give you some space or stop talking with bothersome you seems quite rational, they simply don't come across so considerate or easily worried as that, but approaching an exhaustion that (paranoia probably) makes them seem like they're being crushed out of existence.

And I didn't really like Eliwood apparently killing Lyn without much thought except not letting the door open, it feels like "so Eliwood was a sock puppet the whole time...then who was phone?" (sry for meme)

While I have no idea if the author meant this as such, I find gate/door metaphors (mysticism and fiction metaphor, semi common) lend themselves quite well to Brammimond. It would be fun, IMO, to think of this story as insight into Brammimond. Not necessarily how he feels, per se, but simply something of what Brammimond is. When I embrace that look at things, the ambiguity of wtf's going on becomes much less "is this just something we've seen before from a crazed perspective we don't really see in the game" or "is this something almost the same, from a crazed perspective, but we can spot for differences" to just "how would someone, or something, like Brammimond feel other people? How deeply?" Etc. And perhaps a bit of thought on Nergal as well...though tbh, not, he seems too human, and his moe is not 1/100 of Brammimond's.

Since the parentheses stuff (italicized and in bold) does seem to possibly be dialogue from Ninian, one thing I've been considering just now is that this may be something of Nils and whatever else trying to reach a brainwashed Ninian (point indeterminate, yet likely around the time Eliwood kills Ninian, but alternate sequence of events). I mean, if this was typical animu stuff the lead hero would obv be in the concerted effort in reaching the lead heroine (or vice versa) in the midst of their demon form or whatever.

Here I'm putting a lot of weight on (she's not there) (listen to her) (no one is left to talk) and especially (get in control) where, after that point, the parentheses stuff do seem to match some of the scene where Eliwood kills Ninian. I guess I may have been hasty in taking we're the only ones left to refer to Eli and Ninian as living characters, rather than Nils and Ninian as living dragons. Still seems odd Ninian would say something like that, and I currently have no idea why. Nor does it seem to make sense that the fire would be her fire, or even another dragon's fire, unless this is dragon's gate gone horribly wrong.

And of course, the talk aspect could be making fun with the supports betwen Eli and Hector and Eli and Lyn, and him not having enough support to A with Ninian. From there, kills Lyn to clear up A rank with Ninian, but Lyn dying (lord death) yields a game over (though IIRC the game over screen doesn't have fire, but just a sword stuck in the ground, so I guess the fire could just be foreblaze, and what actually happens during the normal course of events). Also, I'm not trying to say that Eli would do something like that, but it may be more making fun of support maximization (stat bonuses, library, seeing endings, the works) from the gamer's perspective.

I dunno, even if this is a very well structured coma story, I may just not have the brainz to notice the important parts.

Edited by Mouse

Mouse: I'll get to your comments later; can't brain tonight for a proper response.

Good, good! I like it but there's something missing... oh I know what it's missing! EVERYTHING BECAUSE EVERYONE IS FUCKING DEAD YOU BASTARD! YOU FAIL!

The only thing it's missing is logic and hot babes. Next time I'll kill Nergal too for extra rage points.