Marth Aka the FE chars going in SSB

shane3x

While the handheld market blew up in Japan. Last time I checked, 3DS/Vita games are about $60 in US currency. While home console games are about 40 US dollars in Japan.

guess which version we were talking about

hint: it's not the 3ds version

(and even then, 3ds+vita will obviously get smashed by ds+psp, so....)

Edited by shadykid

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, how many people around here genuinely want Chrom or Lucina? Ignoring sells and recency BS, would people still gladly take either of those characters for the characters themselves?

Out of curiosity, how many people around here genuinely want Chrom or Lucina? Ignoring sells and recency BS, would people still gladly take either of those characters for the characters themselves?

I definitely want Lucina

mainly for the Marth fan salt

Edited by shadykid

If I had my choice, I'd put Lyn in. Then Ephraim & Eirika as a duo/tag-team, then Micaiah. Keep Marth and Ike, bring back Roy. Then I'd be perfectly content with all the FE characters, no need for Chrom or Lucina in my book if that were to happen.

/me stares at the avatar and at the signature

Yeah I'd want Lucina just for being her.

"What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"

That's what Sakurai thinks of when he adds characters.

and to be honest, pretty much all of the Fire Emblem characters are really bland and would either be Marth semi-clones or Ike semi-clones.

Well, I wouldn't say all of them would be like that. I mean you'd have to try really damn hard to turn Micaiah into a clone of Ike, or Ephraim into a clone of Marth.

The way I look at it when it comes to making a sword user unique is that the same principles apply to making a fighter who fights with their fists unique. It's really quite easy to do. There are plenty of ways to attack with a sword, just like there are many different ways to attack with your fists.

The way I look at it when it comes to making a sword user unique is that the same principles apply to making a fighter who fights with their fists unique. It's really quite easy to do. There are plenty of ways to attack with a sword, just like there are many different ways to attack with your fists.

The way I see it, the uniqueness of a character comes from their fighting style and a character's style is meant to bring out a little bit of their personality/appearance. Special moves would derive from the games the character came from (Or just an extension of their personality like Ganondorf, whose moves are extremely close to Falcon but are more brutal and evil looking)

Ike for example, is the only lord that isn't a noble, so he was made to look blunt, tough and a really hard hitter. Just his look alone, says bad ass and Aether being his signature move brings it out even more. Though I think quick draw was inspired from the second hit of Aether from his respective game.

As for Marth, not much was really known about him at the time in the west except the fact that he's a prince. So, to complement this fact, Marth fights gracefully with a fencer like style to show nobility, and his special moves come from battle animations throughout the series, (it's only natural, being the mascot that is)

"What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"

That's what Sakurai thinks of when he adds characters.

and to be honest, pretty much all of the Fire Emblem characters are really bland and would either be Marth semi-clones or Ike semi-clones.

Yeah, Micaiah, Ephraim, Robin, Hector and Celica are kinda the only exceptions.

Soooo many swords. >_>

Sadly this is true, and there can't be too many FE lords otherwise the roster would be imbalanced

I'd disagree that alllll the sword users would be Marth and Ike clones. Chrom and Lucina seem hard to make unique to me and Eirika, sure, I can definitely see her as a Marth clone UNLESS they add some of her Bride-class things, like staffs or bows. Same with Eliwood, I can see him as a clone UNLESS they give him that HUGE Durandal, but then he'd have the risk of being an Ike clone. But Lyn has a different style, and seeing all the stuff from Roy's game tells me that he could have had a much more unique style. Alm I can see different as well, as long as they use Dread Fighter-like styles. Seliph and Leif I can only see as clones though, no non-cloneness there.

I will also disagree that they would all be exactly the same way, though at the same time making something very compelling is a bit of a challenge due to the general archetype of these characters causing a bit of limitations. Of course, some characters are easier to handle then others.

Ike definitely has got to be one of the most unique lords in the series too. He's a heavy powerhouse and rugged non-noble that is more akin to the Mercenary class while most of the other lords lean more towards the Myrmidon line, most particularly Lyn and Eirika (until Eirika promotes that is). But Eliwood, Roy, Marth, and probably Lucina as well are also more like Myrms. Seliph and Leif probably are too.

With the speed and power archetype in play for Fire Emblem in Smash Bros, there's not much to differentiate between the lords in the series. Although, it's Smash, no one said the characters had to be exactly like they are in their respective game. Ike for example, never had a flame attack but was given eruption and the only lord to ever have an elemental attack was Roy.

Then again, I'm surprised that no one ever thought about Alm as a possible character. He has a class all for himself after all. Just a thought.

Edit: Being a Dread Fighter, his play style can be of a really aggressive fighter

Edited by HeroKingMarth

Ike definitely has got to be one of the most unique lords in the series too. He's a heavy powerhouse and rugged non-noble that is more akin to the Mercenary class while most of the other lords lean more towards the Myrmidon line, most particularly Lyn and Eirika (until Eirika promotes that is). But Eliwood, Roy, Marth, and probably Lucina as well are also more like Myrms. Seliph and Leif probably are too.

Actually, Seliph gets a horse later on and Leif...oh lol Leif.

Leif did promote to Master Knight in FE4, so he could be made unique by giving him a diverse group of weapons. Even though that's more Link's thing.

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

• 2 weeks later...

Masked Marth/Lucina needs to be in. Honestly I don't care if she even replaces Marth since she's like the same but better.

It's unlikely that Roy will make a comeback. He's outdated? and do people really care that much that he's not in Brawl?

You'd be surprised by the amount of people that want Roy to return. Especially in Japan.

yeah, well, Roy fans don't matter

especially if they're from Japan :smug:

(but seriously, Roy's chances aren't particularly good)

It's unlikely that Roy will make a comeback. He's outdated? and do people really care that much that he's not in Brawl?

The funny thing is a good chunk of Japanese Smash Players feel that Smash 4 just needs Mewtwo and Roy to return to have the perfect cast.

Also you cannot make an outdated argument. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon and Star Fox completely destroy your argument. Roy was almost in brawl but was pushed out due to the lateness of Sonic along with 6 other characters, also yes you would be completely surprised at the amount of people who want him back. You seem to fail to realize how popular smash made him. Not to mention in Japan, Sword of Seals/Binding Blade is one of the highest rated/regarded FE's.

He was the reason I got into Fire Emblem in the first place, I owe it to him that I even know this series exists.

Edited by Folgore Red II

I don't think there's anything that's changed about Roy as a character within the FE series or FE history that makes him more likely to be in Smash 4 than he was in Brawl, and despite making it past the planning stages in Brawl, he still didn't make the final cut. And the characters from the FE series that he is probably competing against (Awakening rep) didn't even exist at that point during Brawl's development, so I don't think his "almost in Brawl" status improves his chances against them specifically.

I think a person's views on his chances depends on how much that individual views popularity as a determinant of characters getting. Generally for the series, my belief is that popularity plays a role in that they decide who out of the long running franchises gets to be considered based on the most popular/requested characters out of those franchises. And out of those characters, they make selections based on their criteria (uniqueness, possible moveset, etc). So the most popular characters don't necessarily make it in the game on the basis of popularity.

I think he would be good choice for DLC though.

The funny thing is a good chunk of Japanese Smash Players feel that Smash 4 just needs Mewtwo and Roy to return to have the perfect cast.

Also you cannot make an outdated argument. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon and Star Fox completely destroy your argument. Roy was almost in brawl but was pushed out due to the lateness of Sonic along with 6 other characters, also yes you would be completely surprised at the amount of people who want him back. You seem to fail to realize how popular smash made him. Not to mention in Japan, Sword of Seals/Binding Blade is one of the highest rated/regarded FE's.

He was the reason I got into Fire Emblem in the first place, I owe it to him that I even know this series exists.

The difference between Roy and the characters from the franchises you mentioned is that Roy is not the main character of his franchise while the others are. FE has many different main characters, and Roy is hardly the most recent one anymore. Chrom is the most likely newcomer for FE right now, if his status as the newest main lord and Arena Ferox being a confirmed stage says anything.