4. 4. Aegis or Pavise?

• Aegis
    • Pavise
    • Neither
  5. 5. Lifetaker or Renewal?

• Lifetaker
    • Renewal
    • Neither

Errr, is it possible to fix these so that people who have already voted don't have to delete their votes every time a new poll comes up?

That aside, I voted Aegis because magic damage just stings unless you're a mage or pegasus knight, and I like being able to cut damage from weapons you can't counter.

Edited by Levant Fortner

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

012.pngAegis: Halves damage from bows, tomes and dragonstones. [skillstat]% Paladin Lv. 15

018.pngPavise: Halves damage from swords, lances, axes (includes magical variants) and beaststones. [skillstat]% General Lv. 15

Rule changes: If skills generally work better with others, it can be taken into account, but keep the focus on the main skills.

Rightful King can be used in all situations as an argument. (If a skill is better with rightful king, that makes it better)

-

Onto round 3, Aegis and Pavise are more defensive skills, halving damage from specific types.

Pavise is a bit nicer for just generic blocking damage, but Aegis can block those weaknesses from bows, and makes magic damage sting a bit less.

I'll have to go for Pavise, to be honest. Most bowmen and mages aren't that difficult to deal with - save if your resistance is godawful, and the only time a pegasus knight is anywhere near a bow if it's the only one in range and it can be ORKO'd. Or it's 2AM and I'm fucking stupid.

I mean, Aegis is a nice skill and my paladins more definitely run through and get the skill, but since I adore ranged combat, I prefer Pavise to be honest - I can deal with bows and mages fine.

Aegis is nice and comes with a class I really like, but Pavise gets more mileage because it affects the more common enemies. I think Pavise is a better skill overall but marginally so.

My main team is made of tanky-ass mounts like GKs and Wyvern Lords and I think only one person on my entire team has decent res before postgame happens

Pavise just means tink harder

Aegis actually helps here also Rexcalibur is a bitch

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm kinda torn on this. On one hand, Res+10 makes the males lol at Magic half the time, reducing the need for Aegis marginally. On the other hand, getting sniped by Mire (not much of an occurance for me) or a forged Longbow really sucks in a few situations. So, even though I'm leaning more on the side of them both being equal, Aegis is better because it halves damage from attacks you can't counterattack from if Dual Guard fails or you're a computer controlled person.

Errr, is it possible to fix these so that people who have already voted don't have to delete their votes every time a new poll comes up?

If there was a way, I'd do it.

The only way I could think of doing it would be to start a new thread for every poll, but that could lead to clutter, and the mods wouldn't like that. Every 4 or 5 I'll have to start a new thread because of question limits anyhoo.

If there was a way, I'd do it.

The only way I could think of doing it would be to start a new thread for every poll, but that could lead to clutter, and the mods wouldn't like that. Every 4 or 5 I'll have to start a new thread because of question limits anyhoo.

Darn. Oh well.

I'm a fan of Aegis, personally, because of what someone mentioned above about it protecting against ranged attacks, something pavise only does with hand axes and javelin type weapons. But honestly, I like to double them up when and where possible. :3

Aegis, because in my findings, most unit's resistance is lower than their defense, this game really messed up with archers and mages, they used to be resistant to everything (or was that just my luck with neimi?) Now, well, look at poor virion... Plus most unit's defenses seem really high anyway, save a silver bow crit to gerome, he's only going to die from magic. Even though there is a much more plentiful amount of physical attacking enemies, they don't do enough damage (post game at least) to cause much real trouble.

Aegis, because Magic tends to hurt a LOT more than most physical attacks, considering that you're unlikely to have many units that are resistance hardy :S

Also it has the same effect on dragonstones so those Streetpass Manaketes only get about half on my nerves instead

Aegis.

Pavise usually is overkill, and with counter there, you're dealing lesser damage, whereas Aegis, you're taking lesser damage in which you cannot return with.

Manaketes, Bows are usually the enemies that is hard to deal with, and the weapons triangle can be dealt with easily without Pavise.

I'll still get Pavise on my Falcon Knights if possible though.

Aegis, because low Res is more common (for me, at least) than low Def.

Also, I'm taking bonus damage from Bows/Wind Magic a lot more often than from Hammers/Wyrmslayers/etc. anyways.

I like Pavise more.

The problem is that anything that can get Pavise doesn't need it and anything that wants Aegis will probably still get obliterated by anything it protects against. At least melee weapons are more common.

068.pngLifetaker: User recovers 50% HP after they defeat an enemy during the user's Turn. Dark Knight Lv. 15

072.pngRenewal: Recover 30% HP at the start of the user's Turn. War Monk Lv. 15

-

While Renewal is nice and reliable for 30% HP at the start of every turn, I don't see it as a big enough number, and it caps at around 26 HP for an 80 Health cap. Lifetaker, on the other hand, can potentially have 50% HP or a 40 HP cap. This can possibly take out the need for healing for the unit, and pairs nicely with skills such as aggressor or brave weapons.

Both.

I would say reenexal, because it's more reliable. You generally don't want to attack someone ifyou are weakened. So unless you use it to finish a weakened ennnemy, you may pottentially lose HP again before you gain your whoopy 40 HP.

Lifetaker have no player phase a well.

Lifetaker is an awesome skill, but if your goal is to gain back HP, Renewall is the favored choice.

Renewal. It activates at the start of each turn, before you have to put yourself in harm's way to try to get Lifetaker. Lifetaker also doesn't work when on the enemy phase, when it really matters. It is really only better than Renewal on those who have Galeforce, as they can move out of the way and possibly get Lifetaker again. Other than that, Renewal's reliability trumps it.

As good a skill as renewal is, it won't see the light of day beyond my streetpass team. Because one of the rules I remember from this topic was that you could combine skills if they had a good pair, I will adjust my rating accordingly. Renewal can be paired with nothing, save lifetaker or relief, and get any worthwhile bonuses to a unit beyond the 33% health restore. Lifetaker on the other hand pairs well with galeforce, as it can be used as a hit and run vampire tactic, or set up a killer aversa's night tank (yes, I've discovered the joys of sorcerers, you all have broken me :D). So my vote goes to lifetaker