Enter: The Arena - Fire Emblem Character discussion Thread.

TharjaAssault

I think both Marth and Ike are sticking around, and I think Chrom will be added as a newcomer. I'd love for them to add at least one more character from the FE series, though. My personal choice would be Lyn. She wouldn't play like the other swordsmen/women, she'd probably be much faster and more ninja-ish. She'd be a good candidate for a female rep for the series too, and she was an Assist Trophy in Brawl so being upgraded to a playable character seems to be the next step. After Lyn? I'd like an Ephraim/Eirika duo, that'd be awesome. Hey, maybe they'll cut Ike and have Marth, Chrom, Lyn, Ephraim/Eirika...

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally prefer Micaiah over Lyn, but I wouldn't mind if either where put in.

How would you feel if Robin was put in? different colours would be different presets

I don't really have much of an opinion on most FE characters, outside of moveset potential. I do think if Robin got in, he would be male. I wouldn't mind if he was included. Personally I wouldn't mind if any FE characters were included.

Arena Ferox in the trailer really does suggest an Awakening rep. I doubt they'd have that and then not include Chrom or Lucina (or a masked Marth costume?).

On that note, I think Chrom and Lucina are the only newcomers who really stand a chance of making it in as playable characters, hopefully Lucina instead of Chrom. When you think about it, Arena Ferox is a pretty good stage for her to rep Awakening with unless they want to avoid spoilers (but I don't think SSB has ever cared about that).

Anna, Tharja, etc. I think are merely pipe dreams. Anna has some long-term presence but isn't known very well even by Fire Emblem players aside from her appearance in Awakening. Tharja has absolutely no significance, just popularity. Other Lords like Eirika, Ephraim, and Micaiah are likely too old to be included now.

What do you guys think of characters like Black Knight, Lyn, and Micaiah? They're all relatively popular.

Personally, I feel they've lost their chance since there's been six games since Lyn's and three since Micaiah/Black Knight appeared. Granted, they're all in Awakening as bonus characters, so that counts for something. I just feel that realistically FE will get 3-4 characters at most, most likely being Marth and Ike as veterans, Chrom or Lucina as one newcomer, and then either Roy or someone else from Awakening for popularity.

I would really love Micaiah though. I wanted her in Brawl.

Arena Ferox in the trailer really does suggest an Awakening rep. I doubt they'd have that and then not include Chrom or Lucina (or a masked Marth costume?).

My main issue with this theory is that it just doesn't really mean anything. We have a Spirit Tracks stage, an Ocarina of Time 3D stage, and a Skyward Sword stage. That doesn't mean we'll get newcomers from each of those games though. I do think Awakening will get a rep, but I wouldn't say that seeing that level does much for them. Plus they still have Roy to compete with, who is significantly more popular than every other FE newcomer in the Smash community. Heck, Lyn is more popular than Lucina.

My main issue with this theory is that it just doesn't really mean anything. We have a Spirit Tracks stage, an Ocarina of Time 3D stage, and a Skyward Sword stage. That doesn't mean we'll get newcomers from each of those games though. I do think Awakening will get a rep, but I wouldn't say that seeing that level does much for them. Plus they still have Roy to compete with, who is significantly more popular than every other FE newcomer in the Smash community. Heck, Lyn is more popular than Lucina.

Those are different: Whatever design he may have, Link is effectively in every Zelda game, and for two games in a row they've had two incarnations of him as well as Zelda and Ganondorf. Marth/Ike and Castle Ferox don't go together as well as any Link/Zelda/Ganon with virtually any Zelda-themed stage.

I really doubt Roy would come back after being absent from Brawl without having anything else to promote him, like a FE6 remake. Similar case for Lyn, I don't see her being promoted from Assist Trophy, though I hope she at least retains that role. I really don't think popularity in the SSB community means a whole lot since few new characters would actually make it in under that logic; Roy is only popular in the SSB community because of his presence in Melee, not his game. Same for Lyn.

I really doubt Roy would come back after being absent from Brawl without having anything else to promote him, like a FE6 remake. Similar case for Lyn,

I don't think everything is based on recent games. Yeah, it can help, but Roy's flatly more popular than any other FE choice right now, and, he was planned for Brawl. Just because a character is recent doesn't mean it's the most likely addition.

Well, Marth is a given in the roster (and I highly doubt Lucina will replace him. Marth has more prominence and games in the whole entire FE series than Ms. Flavour of the month). Ike, I can see going either way (Ike being dropped or being kept in is relatively 50/50). Chrom is quite likely since they seem to always feature the most recent FE lord (and IS got to pick the FE character for Brawl, so they'll likely be getting the pick again and picking Chrom). Anyone else isn't that likely, barring Anna (for being the most reoccurring in the series, even more than Marth, though never playing a huge role) or an FE14 lord (that is, if said FE is coming out soon enough for Sakurai to implement him/her). I doubt Roy will return, especially given his irrelevance to FE now that his game is old and how he's a one timer like most lords.

Come to think of it, very few series in Smash Bros. has had 3 or more characters without having a villain (Pokemon in Brawl being the only exception, seeing how Mewtwo was cut and Event Match 51 in Melee implied Mewtwo is a villain by putting him alongside Giga Bowser and Ganondorf). Do you think FE will be getting a villain? I'm not sure which one they'll pick if they are. Probably Gharnef, Hardin, The Black Knight, or Gimle.

I bet you that if you ask any Nintendo gamer out here the first character that comes to mind when they think FE, most of them will say Ike (and the rest Marth).

I'm pretty sure most will say Marth (since he was both in both Melee and Brawl), with Ike second and then Roy. An obscure (well, obscure to most North American and European gamers) character in two Smash Bros. games is much easier to remember than an obscure character in one Smash Bros. game. Marth has quite the North American and European fanbase as well.

Anna.. Hmm she MAY have a shot, I think it depends on her Japanese fanbase which I am currently unaware how big she is over there [embarrassing I know I should know this stuff more ^^;]

I'm not heavily supporting her, but she's probably the best mascot character to use for the whole of FE, right behind Marth. She'd definitely add more variety to the FE section () of the roster while not being just a one-time random FE character.

AND REMEMBER, SAKURAI USUALLY DOESN'T PICK THE FE CHARACTERS. Intellegent Systes suggested Roy and Ike. Rumor has it he was going to add Leaf as the Marth clone, prior to going to IS to as for suggestions.

Well, Ike was suggested to Sakurai by IS, I know that quite firmly. As for Roy, IS showed Sakurai the upcoming FE at the time (FE6) when he went to IS to request for Marth in Melee. Sakurai decided that Roy would be more suitable as a clone than Leaf since Roy's fiery sword differentiated him more. I'm not sure if that means IS suggested Roy or not.

Those are different: Whatever design he may have, Link is effectively in every Zelda game, and for two games in a row they've had two incarnations of him as well as Zelda and Ganondorf. Marth/Ike and Castle Ferox don't go together as well as any Link/Zelda/Ganon with virtually any Zelda-themed stage.

I really doubt Roy would come back after being absent from Brawl without having anything else to promote him, like a FE6 remake. Similar case for Lyn, I don't see her being promoted from Assist Trophy, though I hope she at least retains that role. I really don't think popularity in the SSB community means a whole lot since few new characters would actually make it in under that logic; Roy is only popular in the SSB community because of his presence in Melee, not his game. Same for Lyn.

Yeah, I agree with what Red Fox said about the stages. Marth and Ike being represented by Castle Ferox is poor representation of FE, since neither of them were even in that area ever. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf always have different incarnations but the same persona, so they can still be rather accurately represented by a lot of Zelda areas. Sure, things like Ganondorf in Skyloft or in the Skyward Sword universe never happened, but Link and Zelda have still been in all the Zelda universes.

I also agree with her Roy and Lyn point. Popularity isn't everything. Otherwise, King K. Rool, Ridley, and Geno would've been in Brawl. They always take relevance or seniority (eg: Jigglypuff still being in) into account for the roster. FE would have way too many reps if they put FE characters in based on popularity and not relevance.

I also agree with her Roy and Lyn point. Popularity isn't everything. Otherwise, King K. Rool, Ridley, and Geno would've been in Brawl. They always take relevance or seniority (eg: Jigglypuff still being in) into account for the roster. FE would have way too many reps if they put FE characters in based on popularity and not relevance.

While I agree that popularity isn't everything, I believe the reason certain characters get left out is simply because they can't fit everyone onto the roster. For Geno though, he's owned by Square Enix, and I don't think he'll get in, but I could be wrong. I think King K. Rool might have a chance this time, since he's one of the more requested characters, but with Dixie Kong being in the new DK game, she might get in instead. Not sure about Ridley. The issue with him is not his size, but rather his shape. Sakurai said it could be possible, but it would take the team's efforts.

I bet if you polled people, they'd say Chrom, not Ike.

If I polled only people that played FE, yes, perhaps. But if I polled EVERYONE, I think Ike would get more votes because he was in Brawl and Chrom wasn't. And I'm sure more people have played Brawl than Awakening.

Edited by Anacybele

While I agree that popularity isn't everything, I believe the reason certain characters get left out is simply because they can't fit everyone onto the roster. For Geno though, he's owned by Square Enix, and I don't think he'll get in, but I could be wrong. I think King K. Rool might have a chance this time, since he's one of the more requested characters, but with Dixie Kong being in the new DK game, she might get in instead. Not sure about Ridley. The issue with him is not his size, but rather his shape. Sakurai said it could be possible, but it would take the team's efforts.

Your points are what I meant, actually. I suppose I should've added "Popular characters may not get added for one reason or another," but you covered that quite well for me. Despite characters being popular, there may be other elements preventing a character from making it in,

Continuing that note: despite how many people request for the character, that alone doesn't get them in. Look at Crash Bandicoot and Playstation All Stars. He was the #1 most requested character and people viewed him as the Mario of Playstation, yet that popularity alone didn't get him in (it's rumoured that licensing problems with Activision stopped him from getting in, but that's another story).

Edited by Randoman

Popularity still IS a factor though. Not the most major factor (I'd give that to relevance and importance to the game series), but it should still be one nonetheless. I mean, none of us would like it if a character everyone hated got in.

I'd love it if Roy returned, but I don't see it happening. Both he and Mewtwo were planned for Brawl, but were cut due to limitations (if my brain is remembering correctly). But, with that being said, they might add everyone they had planned to in Brawl but weren't able to, since there wouldn't be those limitations anymore (yeah limitations, but not as many).

Uniqueness is what adds people to these games. Popularity helps, but it's all about uniqueness. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. She's not a requested character, yet she's in.

Then the clones come along to buff up the character count if time remains.

Popularity still IS a factor though. Not the most major factor (I'd give that to relevance and importance to the game series), but it should still be one nonetheless. I mean, none of us would like it if a character everyone hated got in.

The most important factors are popularity, and moveset potential. That's really all of Sakurai's criteria when picking characters. I'm not even kidding you. Oh, and they need to be Video Game originated, and have been on a Nintendo platform.

Uniqueness is what adds people to these games. Popularity helps, but it's all about uniqueness. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. She's not a requested character, yet she's in.

Then the clones come along to buff up the character count if time remains.

You get it ~

Edited by TharjaAssault

Exactly! Like I said, relevance and importance to the series (including how many recent appearances the character has had in its home series) should be the main factor. Popularity is next and potential moveset is last (since Sakurai and company have practically pulled some move choices right out of their asses for certain characters. I'm mainly looking at you, Zelda and Sheik).

Exactly! Like I said, relevance and importance to the series (including how many recent appearances the character has had in its home series) should be the main factor. Popularity is next and potential moveset is last (since Sakurai and company have practically pulled some move choices right out of their asses for certain characters. I'm mainly looking at you, Zelda and Sheik).

Captain Falcon