Enter: The Arena - Fire Emblem Character discussion Thread.

TharjaAssault

If he's looking for more unique characters, then maybe Micaiah could work for that. There haven't been any magic users among the FE characters in Smash Bros. yet. Or maybe Ephraim, or, as stated above, Roy with the fire in his sword. Maybe Lyn, she would be a little different than the other sword users. Hector with his ax... And, again as stated above, Robin/MU/Avatar.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, neither Chrom or Lucina would be that unique compared to Marth and Ike. But besides lords, there's one other type of character that's been important to the series and occurs in pretty much every game. The Jagen/Oifey. The right hand pre-promote that aids and guides the main character.

But if one of the knight Jagens became playable, they'd have to be without their horse. But they'd be unique since they primarily use lances. Still, this is probably just wishful thinking, as adding one of the older Jagens would seem redundant while Frederick would look out of place without Chrom there.

So I'd go for either Ephraim or Awakening's Avatar, with the option to choose the gender.

There's always the option of a Chrom+Lucina tag team to make a unique character.

You mean like what i said yesterday? c-D

In any case, I wouldn't mind pair up being implemented in one way or another. Lucina in the Background and being switchable with chrom. With DS+ being side B (Double attack.) DG+ up B and having a variation of counter. taking no damage and just giving knock back or w/e to the opponent. Down B could be a switch of character, Chrom being heavier and stronger. Lucina having more evade and speed, as well as longer hitboxes or something.

I honestly don't really care if Chrom gets in or not. I also don't really care if Roy returns either. (Roy looks pretty lame, and I don't really like his father that much either).

I will however be pretty upset if they cut Ike to put in Chrom. Personally, (I haven't played awakening yet) Chrom seems like a pretty lame dude. If anything, he's similar to Ike, but he's not Ike. I'd rather take the original.

Although the -new- Roy looks pretty sweet and has a pretty killer getup so I'd be happy to see that. (As long as they change the moveset from the old Roy, because like I said before, didn't really care much for the old Roy).

Lyn is also someone who I'd like to see in the next Smash just because she'd be the only female lord and her style of sword wielding is much different than Ike and Marth.

(I'd be fine if Ike got cut and got replaced with Hector or Ephraim though. Just not Chrom. Anyone but Chrom. >_>)

It may just be me, but I don't think he's going to add someone who's unique yet not iconic or important to their series. Sure, he listed uniqueness as a criteria for characters joining Smash Bros., but he's never added a character to a series already in Smash Bros. who's very obscure and doesn't play a big part in it, and justified it by saying "they're unique." I mean, every character that Sakurai has added to an existing series is a character that's pretty central or key in their series. I mean, it's not like Sakurai chose Duster over Lucas (the Mother 3 lead) to represent Mother 3 because of Duster's fighting style leaning towards physical fighting and all of his unique thief tools like wall staples. Sakurai also could've chosen Krystal over Wolf, since Krystal fights with a staff and that's a fighting style that's never been used in Smash Bros., yet he stuck with Wolf who was more important and reoccurring in the Star Fox series than Krystal. Oguma was also the second most requested FE character for Melee (first being Marth), yet Sakurai had no plans on including him and instead planned to put in Leaf, but stuck with Roy. Even though a lord and a mercenary would probably have more unique fighting styles between each other, Sakurai still stuck with two lords for FE.

Then, when you throw in factors for series like Fire Emblem and Pokemon where Sakurai is the one asking which characters Intelligent Systems and Game Freak want him to use (that seemed to be the case for Roy, Lucario, and Ike), it heavily implies that relevance and importance to their series plays a much bigger role than uniqueness, even though Sakurai never explicitly said that relevance and importance is an important factor.

The FE13 avatar would be unique, sure, but his design is ambiguous and as a result, he doesn't really have the "iconicness" of someone like Chrom.

Yeah, you have a good point there, Randoman. Ike is somewhat of an exception though, because he DOES have the uniqueness factor compared to Marth. He's heavier, slower, more powerful, has nearly a completely different moveset. The only thing they share is Counter.

But as long as Chrom isn't a clone of Marth and still has enough of his own moves, I don't care if he's in.

Yeah, you have a good point there, Randoman. Ike is somewhat of an exception though, because he DOES have the uniqueness factor compared to Marth. He's heavier, slower, more powerful, has nearly a completely different moveset. The only thing they share is Counter.

But as long as Chrom isn't a clone of Marth and still has enough of his own moves, I don't care if he's in.

Yeah, Ike's Ragnell has been established to be a pretty hefty and heavy blade compared to Marth's Falchion, even in their respective Fire Emblem games.

I'd imagine Chrom's stats to be in between Marth and Ike, so he'd have average power, speed, and weight.

Still didn't stop villager from getting in. They can just use his default white-haired version, or even allow some customization?

True. But Animal Crossing has always had customizable leads, while with Fire Emblem, they always have established character leads whose appearances are set (as in, you can't customize them, like Marth and Chrom). Between an established lead like Chrom and a customizable lead like Robin, I think they'll be sticking with the former.

Yeah, Ike's Ragnell has been established to be a pretty hefty and heavy blade compared to Marth's Falchion, even in their respective Fire Emblem games.

I'd imagine Chrom's stats to be in between Marth and Ike, so he'd have average power, speed, and weight.

True. But Animal Crossing has always had customizable leads, while with Fire Emblem, they always have established character leads whose appearances are set (as in, you can't customize them, like Marth and Chrom). Between an established lead like Chrom and a customizable lead like Robin, I think they'll be sticking with the former.

Agreeable point there. I do hope that Chrom can use lances in some form, like maybe be able to throw a javelin (or a Brave Lance). And I'd REALLY love if they snuck a few Dread Fighter animations in there. Sword-flipping fun.

I'm really hoping Ike doesn't get cut. He's my main and is one of my favorite Nintendo characters. It would be a shame to lose him to Chrom, who is basically a less-developed replica of Ike.

My dream lineup would be Marth, Ike, and a new, unique unit, like a magic user. I would prefer Micaiah, but she isn't from Awakening so I don't think she has a great shot. I guess Robin (Avatar) has a decent chance, and so does Tharja, due to her popularity in Japan and Sakurai's past experience with with fan service-y characters. I would prefer Robin to Tharja, but Robin would make 2-3 avatar characters in SSB4 (Villager, Robin, and possibly Mii), so... eh.

Yeah, Chrom isn't anywhere near as cool or developed as Ike. We like Ike! But with Arena Ferox being a stage in the 3DS version, an Awakening rep seems quite likely and Chrom is definitely the best guy for that job. I just hope he's added alongside Ike. Ike needs to stay, at least for this round of SSB.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd love it if Roy returned, but I don't see it happening. Both he and Mewtwo were planned for Brawl, but were cut due to limitations (if my brain is remembering correctly). But, with that being said, they might add everyone they had planned to in Brawl but weren't able to, since there wouldn't be those limitations anymore (yeah limitations, but not as many).

That may be true but Pit was actually supposed to be in the first smash bros but wasn't due to time constraints and issues with wing animations. He could have came in melee as a retro character but somehow was beat by ice climbers and debuted in brawl and returning for Wii U. Even though Roy starred in only one game, he,along with Marth in melee, is the reason FE was even localized in the west. Shouldn't that count for something?

Robin (Avatar) would be an interesting addition, he's the most possible magic user to be in Smash Bros (The others are not as popular or relevant).

Standard attacks: Sword

Neutral Special: Fire, casts a fireball, stuns opponents.

Side Special: Thoron, casts a ray of lightning, penetrates opponents, good knockback

Up Special: Elwind, covers himself in a gust of wind, pushing him upwards

Down Special: Counter (Can't think of anything better, so why not)

YES!!! I've been waiting for someone to agree with me on this.

That may be true but Pit was actually supposed to be in the first smash bros but wasn't due to time constraints and issues with wing animations. He could have came in melee as a retro character but somehow was beat by ice climbers and debuted in brawl and returning for Wii U. Even though Roy starred in only one game, he,along with Marth in melee, is the reason FE was even localized in the west. Shouldn't that count for something?

That is true, and who knows? Sakurai did say he was interested in revisiting characters who didn't make the cut in previous games (if I remember right? please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Well that's just my hunch. I'd much rather have Roy back than Ike only because him and Marth introduced me to FE. Ike is still bad ass though

Edited by HeroKingMarth

...Roy literally has nothing in his files.

In Smash data there is a folder that says Roy, it's empty and pretty much superfluous.

The Roy rumor is BS everyone. He was cut EARLY as heck.

I wonder... there is that subject of the victory fanfares. The characters were originally gonna have unique ones, which only Meta Knight got in the final product. There is a filename for Roy having one. On the other hand, this could depend on when the idea of unique victory fanfares came up to determine if Roy was really cut early or late in development.

Roy literally has nothing in the game. Yes they could have taken Roy's data out before production, but that sounds like way more work then it's worth. He likely had some things on paper, but that's all I can see.

*Huge (totally not biased) Roy Hater*

Yeah yeah, on paper yet they somehow still on the disk. Riiiiiiight...

Anyway, it's not something I would rule out immediately... thought not something I'd accept immediately either. So as long as there is no conclusive evidence of either, I'm not taking sides.