Enter: The Arena - Fire Emblem Character discussion Thread.

TharjaAssault

Marth and two of Ike/Roy/Chrom is what I think we'll get.

All three have their own merits, but there's not enough time to develop all three of them while still keeping a universally balanced roster.

Pretty much what I think will happen when it comes to what we get. In my mind, I think Ike is very likely to return for this game and I don't see any reason why he'd be dropped (and before anyone said lack of recentness or over-representation, someone needs to provide proof that Ike was added because he was the most recent lord and people way over-value "fair" representation). So what I'm thinking is that the third slot is going to be a toss-up between Chrom and Roy. If I had to guess, I'd say Roy mainly due to being planned to return for Brawl and being one of two of the most wanted characters for SSB4 in Japan (along with Mewtwo, both of them even beat Mega Man by a considerable margin and he was the most wanted newcomer in there, but I could see Sakurai going with Chrom as well.

That being said, should we get DLC characters, I really wouldn't be surprised if we get four Fire Emblem characters. I'm almost confident that Marth, Ike and Roy will be planned to return and I also think there's a good chance Sakurai will try to include Chrom as well.

Edited by Super Smash Bros. Fan

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind, I think Ike is very likely to return for this game and I don't see any reason why he'd be dropped (and before anyone said lack of recentness or over-representation, someone needs to provide proof that Ike was added because he was the most recent lord and people way over-value "fair" representation).

On Ike in Smash Bros:

Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped.

I think other people in this topic (?) have also already stated this, the fact that Sakurai went to IS and they chose Ike.

Let's take SSB out the picture for a second before someone says "it's not a popularity contest" again. IS looked at their lords and thought, we can either have one of the lords from FE7/8 or we can have Ike. Maybe they did think Ike was more popular, but not in Japan, and the GBA games sold well, so you couldn't say for certain that Ike was more popular in the west. So did IS picked Ike solely on the reason because he was in their recent games? It's very possible.

Edited by Kelsper

I think the Avatar would have as much chances as Chrom, but would be more interesting to use because he has magic along with swords, which would make him pretty unique in the smash universe. Also, I feel like Chrom could be in, and be an in-between of Marth Ike in terms of power and speed. I hope Lucina doesn't get in, unless she's a costume form of Marth, because she has the same fighting style as Marth which would mean another clone.

I think the Avatar would have as much chances as Chrom, but would be more interesting to use because he has magic along with swords, which would make him pretty unique in the smash universe.

A player created character getting into smash brothers would feel really empty in my honest opinion.

not to mention the Avatar getting a canon gender and all that

And we all know how that went in the Knights of the Old Republic fanbase. [Not actually too badly but lol. Some people went "If our PC is suppose to be a certain gender why did they make us have a choice!?"]

On Ike in Smash Bros:

Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped.

I think other people in this topic (?) have also already stated this, the fact that Sakurai went to IS and they chose Ike.

Let's take SSB out the picture for a second before someone says "it's not a popularity contest" again. IS looked at their lords and thought, we can either have one of the lords from FE7/8 or we can have Ike. Maybe they did think Ike was more popular, but not in Japan, and the GBA games sold well, so you couldn't say for certain that Ike was more popular in the west. So did IS picked Ike solely on the reason because he was in their recent games? It's very possible.

All we really know based off of this is that Sakurai wanted a more recent lord for Brawl, didn't know who to pick, went to Intelligent System and they suggested Ike. I doubt IS would pick Ike would be picked based solely off of being the most recent lord. Other factors likely played into it, such as that Ike was still a well received lord overall, his game being the first 3D Fire Emblem game and Ike being able to stand out (with him being the first Lord to not being from noble birth as well as being a slow and heavy sword fighter). Recentness wasn't what got him in as Ike like everyone else had to meet Sakurai's four criteria. Ike was able to do so and as such, got in.

What matters more is why Sakurai choose Ike. Recentness may have gotten Ike noticed by Sakurai, but it wasn't what ultimately got Ike in.

Edited by Super Smash Bros. Fan

All we really know based off of this is that Sakurai wanted a more recent lord for Brawl, didn't know who to pick, went to Intelligent System and they suggested Ike. I doubt Ike would be picked based solely off of being the most recent lord. Other factors likely played into it, such as that Ike was still a well received lord overall, his game being the first 3D Fire Emblem game and Ike being able to stand out (with him being the first Lord to not being from noble birth as well as being a slow and heavy sword fighter). Even if recentness was the only factor, it wasn't what ultimately got him in as Ike like everyone else had to meet Sakurai's four criteria. Ike was able to do so and as such, got in.

What matters more is why Sakurai choose Ike. Recentness may have gotten Ike noticed by Sakurai, but it wasn't what ultimately got Ike in.

I'm still mad IS told Sakurai to put Roy over Leaf in Melee :dry:

Edited by shadykid

I'm still mad IS told Sakurai to put Roy over Leaf in Melee :dry:

IS didn't tell him to do anything. They simply showed him Roy, and he decided of his own volition that Roy would've been the best choice for a Marth clone at the time.

IS didn't tell him to do anything. They simply showed him Roy, and he decided of his own volition that Roy would've been the best choice for a Marth clone at the time.

haven't you heard, we get rid of clones around here :smug:

All we really know based off of this is that Sakurai wanted a more recent lord for Brawl, didn't know who to pick, went to Intelligent System and they suggested Ike. I doubt IS would pick Ike would be picked based solely off of being the most recent lord. Other factors likely played into it, such as that Ike was still a well received lord overall, his game being the first 3D Fire Emblem game and Ike being able to stand out (with him being the first Lord to not being from noble birth as well as being a slow and heavy sword fighter). Recentness wasn't what got him in as Ike like everyone else had to meet Sakurai's four criteria. Ike was able to do so and as such, got in.

Well you can't prove that he wasn't picked just because he was the most recent lord ("I doubt") and I can't prove that he was. So impasse. You can't say anything (especially whatever Sakurai is thinking) for sure.

no clones ever

Edited by Kelsper

My most wanted newcomer for Smash 4 is Roy. If he gets in I'm really hoping they'll put emphasis the SoS's fire and healing abilities. Because of this, I think Roy could easily be de-cloned if Sakurai wants to. And if he is de-cloned, I'm also hoping they'll put more emphasis on the broadsword aspect. Marth's sword is functionally a rapier; Marth has a fencing-like playstyle. Roy's sword is more like a two-handed broadsword, dealing powerful swings as seen in his source game. They seemed to have already made a clear distinction between Link and Ike's swordplay vs Marth's.

FE is a tricky subject when speculating newcomers. Not everyone will be happy with Sakurai's choice in the end as you can't please everyone. However, given the different circumstances, if Sakurai chooses Chrom, Roy, or a surprising choice playing up on uniqueness (or just ends up keeping two characters), I hope I'll be understanding with his decision; I'll probably will be anyway.

I agree with this. IS wanting Ike to be in Brawl also proves that Smash Brothers doesn't cater ONLY to the eastern fanbase. Japan dislikes Ike, so Ike being in probably upset A LOT of them. But the western fans love him while Japan loves Marth and of course Marth was in, so everyone got something that pleased them. I don't mean literally, of course, but still.

Well, my most wanted FE character is Lyn, followed by Roy, then Anna (despite how unlikely Lyn and Anna are.)

Also, Croph is here! Hi!

Glad I'm not the only one! Not only is Lyn my most wanted FE character, she's my most wanted character PERIOD. She would definitely be one of my mains. I'd also love it if Roy came back.

I'm not really a supporter of Lyn, though I am neutral on her. However, no doubt she could make a very unique fighter, emphasizing on Japanese sword arts like Iaijutsu and the like. I could see her become a fragile speedster for some reason...and Lucina as well.

Also, Croph is here! Hi!

Glad to see you too, FalKoopa (and the rest of the gang, you know who you are!). Though I guess I'd be call Lugh here, to avoid confusion and I do kinda like the name more. ;)

But seriously, there's a smiley of myself!?! :Lugh: *sniff* I never knew people cared about me....this is too cool!

I'm not really a supporter of Lyn, though I am neutral on her. However, no doubt she could make a very unique fighter, emphasizing on Japanese sword arts like Iaijutsu and the like. I could see her become a fragile speedster for some reason...and Lucina as well.

I could see Roy using some Iaijutsu as well from his crit with the sword of seals as slight proof. Also hi Croph, I don't think we've talked all that much on smashboards but i'm Jedisupersonic on there haha

Unlikely but I would propose they add an FE assist trophy, with a catch. They fight normaly like other assist characters but when around other FE characters they give off pair or support bonus.

Edited by Majestic Paladin

Unlikely but I would propose they add an FE assist trophy, with a catch. They fight normaly like other assist characters but when around other FE characters they give off pair or support bonus.

As nifty as that would be. I'd imagine it would be a hellva lot of coding and hassle.

The pair up system is one reason I think Frederick would make a great assist trophy, actually. He could guard the player that summoned him from attacks for a short time and when that player attacks, Freddy follows up with a strike of his own. Typical Frederick, and logical assist trophy effect. :3

Edited by Anacybele

The pair up system is one reason I think Frederick would make a great assist trophy, actually. He could guard the player that summoned him from attacks for a short time and when that player attacks, Freddy follows up with a strike of his own. Typical Frederick, and logical assist trophy effect. :3

And at the end he would set up a campfire, or at least mention a campfire.