Which characters did you dislike in the game?

What scramble x Lucina left me with Kjelle is that she actually do care for weaker people, but just have problems expressing it. Perhaps she comes off as weak-hating because it makes it easier for you to die in a war? I mean, FE IS a war game...

She's honestly pretty nice when you're not bothering her, though. She's pretty cool with Laurent (and Laurent, bar Barbarian varieties, can't exactly lift) and all of her hot spring scramble convos are actually super sweet. While I can see how people may not like her based on her supports alone I feel sometimes she's pretty misinterpreted and misunderstood.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get my opinions clear, then.

Chrom - Is EASILY overshadowed by the avatar. He's a bit dull, and I never thought of him as the main character. Merely as a poster boy for the game.

Lucina - Everything Chrom is, except the game shoves her in your face. Also her supports with female MU is just obnoxious.

Inigo - His only personality is being a flirt, and not even a good one. Can't even be faithful.

Kellam - I like the unit, not the character, or lack thereof. Everything he says pertains to his problem with being noticed. EVERYTHING. And frankly, it's get's old after the first 20 minutes.

Pilia = Unoriginal copy of Mahnya who never seems to do her job right.

Brady - I don't hate the guy as much as I hate his lack of being a good unit.

Sumia - Laughable character traits with little demeaning factors combat-wise. Forced romance for Chrom; a Shiida wannabe.

Cordelia - Love her as a unit, hate her as a Catria archetype done wrong. Loves Chrom after marriage.

Cynthia - HER VOOOOIIIIICCCCCEEEEE

Severa - Tsun-obsessed brat. Tells others to grow up when she hasn't.

To be honest, I can't stand most of the 2 generation.

Edited by Duke of Dozel

• 1 month later...

I've read the support conversations for a decent chunk of the characters of Awakening, and so far, I'm kind of disappointed. In the GBA installments I've played, the games did a great job of creating some memorable, likable, and even complex characters that really stuck to me (I can name five from Binding Blade that I absolutely adore right off the top of my head). Sure, not all of them we're that good, but the characters that WERE good heavily outweighed the former. This time however, the vast majority of the characters seem to range from okay-ish to rather unlikable.

Ricken's sort of your typical kid character (Brave but naive, doesn't like to be treated like a child, etc.), Tharja is far too one-noted (Her obsession with hexes got stale relatively fast... And yes, her treatment of Noire is just awful, I don't know why the developers played it for laughs), Kellam is very bland and way too reliant on that invisibility gimmick (Though I will admit, his death quote is pretty saddening), Severa is pretty unlikable (I do appreciate that the developers tried to give her some backstory and depth, but she's just too much of a jerk for me to really be invested), etc. A lot of the characters seem to be way too reliant on character gimmicks and quirks, and they don't feel human, or at the very least, credible. To be fair, however, there aren't many characters that absolutely grated on me so far, except for one:

Nowi. In my opinion, you have to be very careful in writing child characters, because they can go one of two ways: Cute and endearing, or pandering and annoying. For me, it's safe to say Nowi fits into the latter category. Almost every single line of her dialogue beats you over the head with over-the-top cutesy-ness, and there's only so much of that you can take until you want to grind your teeth into dust. She's sort of like what the Nostalgia Critic thinks of the Olson twins from Full House that way.

Actually, the more I think about it, there's a character from Binding Blade that is very similar to Nowi, but a billion times more likable: Fa (Or Fae, depending on which translation you go by). Both are dragons, they're biologically children but centuries old, they have energetic, cheery personalities, etc. So what makes Fa better than Nowi? Firstly, her personality is much more credible and less grating. She is innocent, sweet, naive, stubborn, cheerful, curious, etc. That is a lot like Nowi's character, but Fa's is played out in a way that doesn't constantly shove cuteness into your face; she behaves like a normal but likable child.

Secondly, her depth. The support conversations Fa has, as light-hearted as they seem, do tend to hold dark implications behind her background as a full-blooded dragon. For an example, in her conversation with Sophia, she starts off wondering as to why Sophia has grown a little bit since they last spoke but not herself. Later, when Sophia tells Fa that this might be a good thing, as even when she dies Fa will still be alive, Fa starts crying in a particularly heart-breaking scene. Another example is when Sue wants to show Fa around, knowing that she was locked away in order to be kept safe as a Divine Dragon. The game takes the time to convey the difficulties she is having and will have to endure because of her bloodline, and that makes her complex and interesting.

With Nowi, you do get... a little bit of depth, but it's usually merely glossed over, especially in her supports with Ricken and Tharja. With Ricken, she briefly mentions how she was rather lonely and couldn't be with other people, but not enough time is given to really flesh this out. With Tharja, the conversation does revolve around Nowi realizing that her parents are dead, but the aftermath feels really rushed. Considering the number of people she can have support conversations with, the developers could've done a lot more. But as it is, Nowi is probably one of my least favorites in all the franchise. If you find something likable about her, great. But for me... I just couldn't get invested in the slightest.

*Deep breath* So that's my long-winded rambling about this topic for now. Your thoughts?

Lucina: I like her as a unit, otherwise fairly boring, has some good moments though.

Say'Ri: Never used her besides as a speed boost pair up for one of my units in a challenge run.

Gaius: Only use him to pair up with Tharja and pass down pegasus.

Vaike: Rarely use him ever and he is annoying.

Panne: Was useful for a little teeny bit in the same challenge run I used Say'Ri for, didn't stay useful.

Donnel: Loved him in my first playthrough, later decided he wasn't all that good besides good stat growths early on and mentioned earlier: His pot on his head.

Ricken: You are short and always will be, so shut up about it, only thing this kid is useful for is making a good sage Owain.

Lissa: Only good for making babies. (Owain) She starts out as an only-staff user and only-staff users are a pain to train early on therefore they grow weak and I stop using them so by the time it is easier to train them (Rescue staves) they are horrendously underleveled and I just don't feel like putting effort into them, sure they make nice sages but... meh...

Maribelle: Same reason as for Lissa, but she is a tad more useful because she is a troubadour which are generally superior to clerics in every way.

Cynthia: Rarely ever use her.

Emmeryn: I want to use her, but I know she won't turn out to anything more than a better lissa... And I don't like lissa.

Units I've never recruited:

Brady: I have often unlocked his chapter and got to the preparation menu once or twice, didn't feel like recruiting him/training Maribelle. He looks cool though :/

Severa: Don't use cynthia, don't want to use cynthia, too lazy to build support with cynthia.

Yarne: Don't use panne, don't want to use panne, too lazy to build support with panne.

Edited by terff

I find it hard to hate any of the characters in this game (apart from Ricken, although I don't hate him as much as I hate his class choices). If there's one thing Awakening did right, it was the characters. I even like the characters people normally have complaints about, such as Severa, who happens to be MU's wife in one of the playthroughs I did.

I'm the same. I can't really bring myself to hate any of these characters. Some irritate me, sure (almost every character has their moments where they do this) but I don't really hate any of them because most of them have redeemable traits.

-Excellus

Getting on your skin. Getting on your nerves. A sly wrly bastard. ...And he's a faggot.

Edited by Barbie

-Excellus

Getting on your skin. Getting on your nerves. A sly wrly bastard. ...And he's a faggot.

Please, please, PLEASE do not use words like this. They are highly offensive.

Please, please, PLEASE do not use words like this. They are highly offensive.

He's lousy at being a mad mistress as he's doing it wrong when Oliver can do better. XD

He don't even get his own theme like Oliver does.

Edited by Barbie

He's lousy at being a mad mistress as he's doing it wrong when Oliver can do better. XD

That's not the point. My point is, you don't use words like the one you just did to describe a character. You don't use it to describe anything, period. It's a highly insulting term in real life and it WILL definitely offend people. Please never use it again.

That's not the point. My point is, you don't use words like the one you just did to describe a character. You don't use it to describe anything, period. It's a highly insulting term in real life and it WILL definitely offend people. Please never use it again.

You seem to be making a big deal out of nothing. It's the internet, so who cares what word someone uses? Don't go off-topic by complaining.

You seem to be making a big deal out of nothing. It's the internet, so who cares what word someone uses? Don't go off-topic by complaining.

As long as your not addressing it to other members here...

Edited by Barbie

Wait

wait

wait

Are you condoning the use of the word faggot? Like are you seriously saying it's okay to be able to say that? I'm sure that you know it's an extremely offensive word, and there are members of this community who are LGBTQ+ and think that kind of language is unacceptable. Yet you're just saying "it's the internet". Just because it's the internet doesn't mean it's an acceptable reason to go spouting hateful, bigoted language. I don't think that was Ayanami's intent but it's still an offensive word regardless of anything. It is NOT okay to say it, whether you're on the internet or not. Just be respectful.

I didn't like all of the villains, and I wish the generic ones, like the captain in chapter 14, had more lines of dialogue.

Let's try to leave the F word business, OK? I think hating on characters is more fitting here.

You guys complain about people using bad language here, but I see members here use words like "fuck" "shit" etc all the time and no one complains about that.
:/

But I agree that Excellus sucks hard.

The difference between fuck and shit and the f slur is that nobody is harmed by using sex and poop as intensifiers or whatever else those two lovely versatile words can stand in for (p much everything other than preposition, though if someone manages to use them as preposition, please tell me)

and the f-slur specifically targets a group of marginalized people and is actually offensive and do damage

do not conflate simple swearing with slurs, they are not the same

Edited by Thor Odinson

You guys complain about people using bad language here, but I see members here use words like "fuck" "shit" etc all the time and no one complains about that.

:/

But I agree that Excellus sucks hard.

Now that I think about it, Excellus really wasn't that good of a character. He's the only one I didn't really care for, though. The rest of them were at least decent.

General courtesy is still a thing, doesn't matter where you go, bro! Whilst the comment wasn't directed at someone, derogatory slurs are generally something people with even a degree of social awareness avoid.

I can't think of any characters I outright dislike, other than Spotpass!Horace. It's more that a few over-rely on their quirks and feel generally forced.

Edited by Shin

Fuck is not a derogatory word.

Shit is not a derogatory word and it's not even really a swear word.

Swears and slurs are NOT the same thing. Slurs are words that are meant to target a specific group of people and make them feel bad. The n word and the f word come to mind. Don't say these. Ever.

Swearing is different because it's mostly bad manners and doesn't hold harmful connotations to groups of people. Feel free to use these.

It's not that hard a concept.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Posted Today, 04:21 PM

The lock was because of the necropost, not anything that happened afterward, so don't get your panties in a twist about the wrong thing. Continue other discussion elsewhere if you are so inclined.