Latios vs. Hydreigon

Fruity Insanity

THREE HEADED EVIL FLOWER DRAGON OR JET PLANE EON POKEMON?!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better...?

So, this has been bugging me for a while now. I really like Latios better than Hydreigon design-wise (I still really like Hydreigon), but whenever I use Latios online, I feel that he's a bit... underwhelming.

Latios has superior speed and SpAtk (barely), and can run LO and TrickSpecs pretty well. However, being Pursuit-weak is a huge disadvantage.

Hydreigon, on the other hand, has a very... strange speed tier. 98 base speed. Only Swanna and Basculin have the same speed, and nobody uses those. Being 2 points off the huge 100 base speed tier makes a huge difference...

Hydreigon also has an absolutely huge movepool, with things Latios could only dream of having. Earth Power, Fire Blast, Superpower, Focus Blast, Taunt, U-turn... the gimmicky Flash Cannon.

Sure, Latios has access to Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Calm Mind, but having to make-do with HP Fire isn't good at all. Well, I guess Defog has its uses, too.

Also, Hydreigon being resistant to Pursuit is great. Having a 4x weakness to fairy hurts, though. I mean, Latios has a pretty linear set. Not to unpredictable.

Well, so does Hydreigon, I suppose, but I feel like I surprise more people with Hydreigon than I do with Latios. And it's, like, weird. Hydreigon, imo, seems a lot better, yet I see Latios more.

So, what do you guys think? Which is better? Hydreigon, or Latios?

Edited by Not-an-Apple

I say Hydreigon because honestly Latios can only run Specs,well in my experiences,outside of Soul Dew,while Hydreigon can run Scarf,and Life Orb superiorly due to having a superior movepool,despite the awkward 98 speed.As Latios can't run Scarf due to the limited options it has causing it to be walled as a revenge killer or a full sweeper,only playing the role of a sole special attacker. Latios fits better on teams lacking a special attacker while Hydreigon plays better as a revenge killer, or a special sweeper.

Edited by Jiac2001

I say Hydreigon because honestly Latios can only run Specs,well in my experiences,outside of Soul Dew,while Hydreigon can run Scarf,and Life Orb superiorly due to having a superior movepool,despite the awkward 98 speed.As Latios can't run Scarf due to the limited options it has causing to be walled as a revenge killer,only playing the role of a sole special attacker. Latios fits better on teams lacking a special attacker while Hydreigon plays better as a revenge killer, or a special sweeper.

Latios can run all those items perfectly well.

In fact, there are more latios running life orb than choice specs:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6859249/

Edited by Nobody

Defog and Speed are deal makers for me. Also Hydreigon would kill to get Thunderbolt (on the other hand, Latios suffers without Fire Blast).

Hydreigon is way cooler though.

Edited by Spaceman Craig

Latios can run all those items perfectly well.

In fact, there are more latios running life orb than choice specs:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6859249/

Latios needs to have Fire Blast to be better than Hydreigon,because a Light Screen max HP Ferrothorn (also uninvested Sp.Def) won't be OHKO'd by one Flamethrower with Choice Specs. Giving it a chance to either Thunder Wave,Leech Seed,or set up Stealth Rocks/Spikes. While a Choice Specs Hydreigon has a 25% chance to OHKO it with Fire Blast. Though I probably need more evidence :P

EDIT: Also Latios would kill for Roost,as a reliable healing move. While Life Orb Hydreigon can heal using Roost.

Edited by Jiac2001

Singles Latios stomps. It can practically go mixed and it does massive damage.

Hydreigon can run Modest or go mix with -defensive nature, and have superpower and pulse is cool, but on the other areas, it fall short.

Put simply Latios fits the meta MUCH better last gen thanks to its speed alone, and defog only make it worse

Hydreigon is somewhat better in doubles though

Hasty LO Latios with Earthquake is useful for chipping at Aegislash/Tyranitar and almost OHKOing Heatran. I prefer Latios overall, but Hydreigon's not bad due to Dark Pulse being very spammable.

edit: Oh, I guess I should explain why I prefer Latios. I find it really useful to outspeed stuff like Keldeo, Terrakion, Mega Pinsir, and non-Scarf Garchomp, all of which outspeed Hydreigon.

Edited by Miikaya

Between those two, Latios. I don't care if he's pursuit weak, the power is worth it. He's also good bait for pursuit trappers. Also I actually prefer specs Latias for the extra durability.

Edited by Comet

Hydreigon is basically a special nuke

Latios is one of the best offensive defoggers in the game. Its good speed makes it really hard to revenge kill and in general lets it cause lots of pressure on the enemy. Access to stab Psyshock lets it play around dedicated special walls, and scores 2HKO on most relevant Fairy types so its relatively hard to counter as far as dragons go. Yeah steel types can eat a drago but they really dont like taking it. That is of course assuming defogging set, other variants carry toys against steel too. It is suspectile to pursuit trapping but you really should be able to notice such threats to its existance and plan accordingly. While it is not its red sister, its fairly bulky too. It can do a lot of nice things in this game. Also its a special nuke.

#eonmasterace

So the general concensus seems to be that Latios is superior.

How about this, then?

I think Fire Blast is extremely good for coverage (Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Scizor, etc.) and in Battle Spot's 3v3 (which I play the most) has many things a Scarf Hydreigon can counter. It can also, unlike Latios, survive a Banded T-flame's Brave Bird and KO with Draco Meteor (or Dark Pulse, maybe? Not too sure.)

Latios seems to be better in 6v6, though, and having Psyshock for Mega Venusaur is good. I have Talonflame to scare that out, though.

Hydreigon is and will always be my favorite dragon. *prays for Steel/Dragon Mega Evolution*

mecha_king_Ghidorah.jpg

All of my yes to both of these posts.

I haven't used Latios, but I've found Hydreigon to be very useful.

So based off my experience and others', I'd say go with whichever you feel like.

Well to say the least not many people I know run pursuit in OU (note if this is wrong I have been on the main server too long as the frost people seem to know there shit) but I use Latias over these two (note if u sash Latias and use a zoroark Latias learns sucker punch meaning u can trick ur foe with him thinking zoro is lati)