NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are reading too much into that whole god thing

Also the 2009 Pats were demolished by the Ravens because they were a pretty mediocre team with a shit run defense (whereas we had the three headed monster of Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, and Le'Ron McClain) and the 2011/2012 Pats didn't have a great defense so I wouldn't put too much stock into those guys losing to the Giants and the Ravens consecutively. 2010 was really weird though, but Belichick DID bench Welker for those foot comments.

Were the 2011 Patriots really heavily favored though? I really can't imagine why considering not only was their defense prone to giving up big plays at points but they were also beaten by the Giants earlier. And the Giants completely fucked up a better offense which were those 2011 Packers (who also didn't have much of a defense). On top of that offense making massive massive comebacks week in and week out.

Seahawks aren't going to lose Wilson. They're definitely not going to have Lynch anymore.

Edited by Lord Raven

With Patriots going to the Superbowl.

Antonio Gates will be in the Pro Bowl

and

Darrel Stuckey to fill in for Slater. As a Special Teams and back up Safety.

Don't get me wrong, both Pats teams that lost were certainly flawed, they also were both the #1 seed playing against the #6 seed. In the case of the 2009 loss to the Jets, the Patriots had absolutely eviscerated the Jets something like 45-3 at home a month or so before Bart Scott's infamous postgame interview

Big Ben has made me like him more. He's a dog lover and started a foundation for helping police canine forces. ^^

Can't believe I didn't know about this until now though, through an NFL.com video. :P

Don't get me wrong, both Pats teams that lost were certainly flawed, they also were both the #1 seed playing against the #6 seed. In the case of the 2009 loss to the Jets, the Patriots had absolutely eviscerated the Jets something like 45-3 at home a month or so before Bart Scott's infamous postgame interview

2012 were the #2 seed and had already been beaten by that same Ravens team earlier in the season (and we were the #4 seed), and 2011 Giants were division champions.

2010 I can't really explain still. Tom Brady had to throw an interception sometime. The 2009 loss was against us, and that Pats team was shit.

Finally, the 19-0 loss, I don't think enough people understand that the Giants were basically built to beat passing teams because of that historically awesome defensive line. That's why they managed to beat out those Cowboys, Packers, and the Buccs haven't really been that great since 2002.

I mean, any offense can be beaten when you rush 4 and get pressure consistently. The thing about Patriots teams in the past is they were built around an offense that was meant to carry the team (and a secondary to allow teams to come back and win in dramatic fashion)

I honestly blame the AFC Championship game from 2006. Peyton rallied the Colts from 18 down in the 4th quarter for an insane 38-35 win. What happened after that? Bill decided that he would never be outgunned again, acquiring players like Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and Dante Stallworth and ignoring important defensive functions like a top cover corner or a decent pass rush.

What is the end result over the past 10 years? A team whose offense is capable of dominating most teams, yet falters when faced with a strong D-line or front 7, coupled with a defense starved of playmakers, incapable of making a stop when it counts the most ('06 AFC Championship, '07 SB, '11 SB, etc.)

Of course, that's why I really like this Patriots team. Defensively, there are obviously playmakers. Matt Patricia and Billy boy have done a great job mixing up their coverages and looks all season long, and that really will be the key to stopping the Seahawks' offense (along with stacking the box against Marshawn Lynch)

As for the flip side, the Legion of Boom is incredibly good at neutralizing taller receivers with their physical presence. The only WR who really fits that bill is Brandon LaFell. Though the Patriots have a ridiculously high number of offensive looks they employ, I expect Julian Edelman will be running routes primarily against Richard Sherman, who has shown that short, quicker WRs are the only kind he really has trouble with (even more so with one arm, I'd assume.)

The 2007 Patriots were incredibly complete though. The primary issue with the 07 Patriots was that McDaniels thought a 7 step drop would work against that Giants DL, and you guys lost your run game to the IR before the playoffs.

Also, the LOB are good tacklers that can take away a lot of YAC, which is what Julian Edelman tends to thrive upon. I think they can neutralize any of those rhythm passes that intend to make the receiver get those yards after catching it in stride simply because of someone like Kam Chancellor. It's why Denver could get absolutely nothing done in the Super Bowl.

Edited by Lord Raven

The 2007 Patriots were incredibly complete though. The primary issue with the 07 Patriots was that McDaniels thought a 7 step drop would work against that Giants DL, and you guys lost your run game to the IR before the playoffs.

Also, the LOB are good tacklers that can take away a lot of YAC, which is what Julian Edelman tends to thrive upon. I think they can neutralize any of those rhythm passes that intend to make the receiver get those yards after catching it in stride simply because of someone like Kam Chancellor. It's why Denver could get absolutely nothing done in the Super Bowl.

I donno if the run game was lost, the run game was just Lawrence Maroney, and he was always garbage. Can you name a Patriots DB from that team other than the helmet catch victim himself, Rodney Harrison? That defense wasn't capable of stopping anyone, that team was built on the offense out-gunning the opposition.

Edelman definitely loves his short catch YAC routes, but he's also a good intermediate route runner. I also think the offense will use 2 and 3 man route combinations on the right side of the formation. How did the Packers move the ball against the Seahawks before McCarthy decided to go into full-turtle mode? Quick passes down the seam and the middle of the field, AKA Tom Brady's favorite place to toss the rock

EDIT: I think I'll be able to get over my team not having an offensive player of the year if they take home the Lombardi tbh

Edited by chococoke

Heh, I'm over my Steelers losing their first playoff game myself since they still got an AFC North title and a bunch of awards. But AB and Bell getting AFC OPoY is most awesome because normally, QBs get OPoY. But this time, two players from the same team that AREN'T QBs got it!

We just. Need. A. Defense. Grrr.

Edited by Anacybele

Chococoke: Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, and Brandon Merriweather.

Samuel is a Hall of Very Good level corner. That team also has Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymour, Adalius Thomas, and Junior Seau. It was a pretty complete team, I believe the issue was that your best RB was gone by super bowl time (Sammy Morris was it?)

Edited by Lord Raven

Chococoke: Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, and Brandon Merriweather.

Samuel is a Hall of Very Good level corner. That team also has Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymour, Adalius Thomas, and Junior Seau. It was a pretty complete team, I believe the issue was that your best RB was gone by super bowl time (Sammy Morris was it?)

Asante was already past his prime at that point. He was a decent #1 corner but not a top corner, a la Ty Law or Revis. Ellis Hobbs was little more than average and Brandon Merriweather was one of Bill's worst draft picks (which is saying something.)

Sammy Morris was indeed injured, however he was nothing more than a typical big back with little speed and was basically a COP back for Maroney. Heck, there's a case to be made that Kevin Faulk was the best RB on the '07 squad. The Pats have had some pretty uninspiring backfields over the years...

Asante Samuel was like 27 in that postseason. Hardly past his prime. His best years were on the Patriots.

Also, that was his fifth year in the league. He was always known as an aggressive corner who went for picks, and that's good enough when you have someone like Rodney Harrison behind you.

Edited by Lord Raven

As a Seahawks fan, of course I think they're going to win, but you Patriots do have a very good chance of winning it yourselves. You've got a great running game that the Colts couldn't do anything to stop (being in Indiana and around many Colts fans I saw a lot of that), and of course you have Gronk. Your quarterback's not half bad either. I still don't know how the Hawks managed to beat the Pack, but I do know that last year when a great offense led by the best quarterback ever faced off against the Legion of Boom, you know what happened. I think it'll be a closer game than last year, but I'd take the Hawks any day. Also I'm pretty sure Russell Wilson is Jesus, so theres that.

The Seahawks are as good as they are for three reasons, if you ask me.

1. The defense

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Russell Wilson

Yeah. :P The main reason Russell Wilson threw picks against the Packers is that his receivers were being stupid and not hanging onto those perfectly thrown balls. I saw at least a few of them go right through those receivers' hands and into the hands of Packers.

Edited by Anacybele

The Seahawks are as good as they are for three reasons, if you ask me.

1. The defense

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Russell Wilson

Yeah. :P The main reason Russell Wilson threw picks against the Packers is that his receivers were being stupid and not hanging onto those perfectly thrown balls. I saw at least a few of them go right through those receivers' hands and into the hands of Packers.

It was very weird to see the Hawks disorganization considering their massive team successes, but of course that all turned around in 5 mins

I still can't believe Willson caught that 2 pt. conversion. And theres something interesting about the NFC Championship, both teams had a QB-tight end combo with the same name(almost). Russell Wilson and Luke Willson for the Hawks and Aaron Rodgers and Richard Rodgers for the Pack. And yes, Kearse did drop 2 passes that turned into picks. Wilson was 0-4 for 4 interceptions targeting Kearse before he threw the TD to him that won the game.

Asante Samuel was like 27 in that postseason. Hardly past his prime. His best years were on the Patriots.

Also, that was his fifth year in the league. He was always known as an aggressive corner who went for picks, and that's good enough when you have someone like Rodney Harrison behind you.

Lol I guess my memory of the secondary back then is pretty shitty, though not surprising given that I kinda block that year out for the most part.

Honestly Asante didn't even do that poorly in either SB, it was usually Ellis getting picked on at the end of games. Also Rodney really was never a cover guy at safety, just a big hitter