FE8 event hacking problem

zhawhjw

Hello! I am new here! I am trying to hack FE8 and re-build my own village event. The problem is the raw codes and macros in Event Assembler software works quite strange when I am doing the insert background for conversation.

And, I have tried to dump the structure from ordinary ROM to figure out what happens to my structure. Well, I failed. _(:з」∠)_......

This is the raw code from Ch2:

label21: // label21 is the label for VILL's offset
MUNO
_SETVAL 0x2 0x2 //load bacg
_SETVAL 0x3 0x96B //load text
CALL label31 // go to $9EE31C
MUSI
CALL label25 // go to $591F40
_SETVAL 0x3 0x6D //set item
_GIVEITEMTO 0xFFFF // current character
_0x0228 0x7 // ???
ENDA
According to the macros in "Main Code Helper.txt" , the "_SETVAL 0x2" is for Background. The first "_SETVAL 0x3" is for the Text Index. The last "_SETVAL 0x3" is for Item.

However, the "_SETVAL 0x2" in my ROM is for Text Index !!?? And, the first "_SETVAL 0x3" doesn't work......................

Well, the last "_SETVAL 0x3" for Item works smooth.

Now, It can only obtain item and show the conversation when I sent unit to village. The background doesn't exist............

Here is my structure:

Label1:
FADI 16
MUSI
_SETVAL 0x2 0x02 // yeah, now it becomes the text pointer.........
_SETVAL 0x3 0x0907 // does not work............the index just random typed for testing
CALL $9EE31C
MUNO
CALL $591F40
_SETVAL 0x3 0x79 // works fine
_GIVEITEMTO 0xFFFF
_0x0228 0x7
ENDA

I'd very appreciate someone can help me to figure out what's the problem. ^ ^

PS: I need to apologize that I cannot reply to your guys immediately, because of time difference(I must go bed now > <)

PPS: Sorry for my poor english..............

I think I might see the issue here...swap MUSI and MUNO's positions (they're mixed up in the FE8 definitions), remove the FADI 16 from the top of you event, and see what happens.

The events at 0x591F40 handle FADI for you, so there's no need to write out your own FADI.

I think I might see the issue here...swap MUSI and MUNO's positions (they're mixed up in the FE8 definitions), remove the FADI 16 from the top of you event, and see what happens.

The events at 0x591F40 handle FADI for you, so there's no need to write out your own FADI.

Thanks for replying. Actually, I have tried this yesterday. But, it is not working. > <

OH! I just knew what is the problem. Through tracking the other language version I found that the offset 9EE31C is WRONG for my ROM. The actual offset is 9EE310.............I don't know why................Does others have same problem as me? or it's just ROM problem???

A lot of the doc we have is only valid in the (u) ver

Thank you! The ROM I used is the (U)ver ripped by TrashMan. So.............Does it mean I have to find a (U)ver without (TrashMan)?

(The character of your profile is quite hard to rush him in 1 phrase when I meet him first time in game^ ^)

..huh

I think I use (u) venom, but you'll have to check eith someone else to cpnfirm

It would def. make sense with random offset shifts though

(tbh I just sic'd ryoma on him)

Edited by CT075