Removing Veteran early game.

Trickster

So I tried to see what would happen if I kept Robin out of getting the veteran bonus and then removing it from him when I got the first chance. My results: (S)He's kinda underwhelming. I was using Good Hp bad Luck and for the most part, he isn't bad but he's not good either. I've never noticed how much Robin require those few early levels to really make such a difference. Any thoughts or anyone else got an experience with doing something similar?

Veteran is the main thing that makes Robin great. Without that, they're basically a tanky sword/mage hybrid - which is still useful early on, but quickly loses it's charm as your army gains better recruits. Robin's growths and bases are surprisingly unimpressive and while they still have significant utility due to universal supports, all classes and eventually Spectrum access, statwise they're not too great, and that's what really makes the difference.

I find Robin's growths are balanced such that even after Flaw adjustment, a sufficiently leveled Robin should not be lacking in any one stat. No Veteran does make her/him pretty much like any other character, though. In previous Fire Emblems, any character could overpower most of the game simply by getting far enough ahead of the level curve. Having an EXP booster like Veteran right from square one just causes this to happen much, much faster with Robin.

Veteran is a godsend on Lunatic Mode. I would not be able to even attempt too complete the mode without it (even though I'm sure it's possible).

Edited by Refa

Veteran is a godsend on Lunatic Mode. I would not be able to even attempt too complete the mode without it (even though I'm sure it's possible).

Even without Robin at all, it shouldn't be too bad. You just train Chrom up early (or someone else) instead of Robin, perhaps relying a little more on Frederick in the earlygame. Chpater 2 will probably be a bit nasty, but with a little luck you'll get through that, reclass into Cavalier around say chapter 5 or so and then start dominating with weapon triangle control and whatnot.

You wouldn't be able to do the water trick with Chrom and get him a bunch of levels in the first chapter to make the next couple of chapters less painful!