Let's Play: Victoria II (The Concert of Europe mod) - The Path of the Danube [Cancelled]

Acacia Sgt

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I never stated I would play nice. But still, I see it wasn't well received my recent actions. I'll continue, I'll just have to deal with it then... I guess.

Well, later on in game you can
-Support the Confederate States of America (you probably know the issue with that)
-As an absolute monarchy or a Fascist/Communist dictatorship, brutally suppress dissent with your secret police
-If a German state, you can be the Nazis
-You can brutally colonize all of Africa, which will almost certainly lead to the deaths of millions of people mad at least one genocide
-Outright commit cultural genocide by assimilating un accepted cultures into accepted cultures
So yeah, this isn't the worst you can do in this game by a long shot.

-Funny thing about the CSA, is that because the way AI is, and that Slavery is classified in Political Reforms, nothing stops them from outlawing it, and could it even their first political reform. Like this one time in one of my Mexico playthroughs the Civil War happened in 1859. I supported them out of pragmatism (a weakened USA to stop bothering me on Manifest Destiny), and by 1865 or so they already had slavery outlawed, I kid you not. Since it was the first time I checked, they could've even outlawed it earlier than that. And I was like, "Uh, CSA, what are you doing?" It kinda worked in a very orthodox way since the Civil War was initially over "State Rights". Can't expain the change of heart over slavery, though.

-The way the mod is, and even the vanilla game for the most part, most of the colonization and stuff ends up being mitigated from how it went in real life. When taking over you don't really kill the POP's there. Only time it does is if the place already had a nation and even then you only kill soldiers and in the worst case, mobilized civilians. But the AI always mobilizes, so practically in every war no matter the countries involved civilians die because AI mobilizes them to the military force. Something I've yet to do, in fact. Although the mod adds something regarding the matter, in its political reforms.

-Same thing with assimilation. Victoria II actually gives a big penalty to assimilation if the POP's are in a province/region that has country cores of countries whose primary culture matches. In fact, the mod acutally lessens that further by adding countries (and therefore cores) to stop that. For example, in vanilla game the Afro-Antillean POP's of Jamaica get assimilated to British over time since the island is core-less. The mod adds Jamaica as a country and gives it a core on the island from game-start. As a result the Afro-Antilleans now don't get assimilated unless they migrate to a place where they can. The vast majority of Africa got this, with cores of many minor countries all over the place, ensuring the POP's there to not be assimilated.

-Because of the previous two factors, if you end up with non-locals as majority in places, more often than not it's because of migration, or local people were rebels and rose up too much and you killed them instead of mitigating them with reforms and such. It happens. But as long as they don't rise up in discontent...

Can't speak for the other points since I'm not versed in those topics. Except that perhaps even with a Fascist Germany, I doubt the mod added stuff to kill Jews. Vanilla game doesn't have such thing. And while the "Greater Germany" thing is in the mod, you don't need to be Fascist to form it.

Paradox games: where mercy and honor go to die in Leviathan's feeding trough

Do you get a penalty for attacking allies in Victoria 2, or is it even possible? Reminded that even in ck2 there's a prestige loss penalty, but that's rarely more than a slap on the wrist. Victoria 2 being more razor-focused on politics seeks like it might handle things a little differently

You can't attack allies. First you'd need to break the alliance, then lower relations enough, then fabricate the CB. Originally you could just declare war whenever you liked (with the full infamy penalty of course) provided you weren't allied, in a truce, and relations weren't high enough. The expanions added the whole "fabricate CB" thing, and the mod goes the extra miles by restricting the types of CB you can do depending on the circumstances. No prestige is involved on the subject, only infamy. Prestige change only happens in battles if you win or lose them, and if you fulfilled or not the war goals when peace is declared.

Only time intervention like wars of containment can happen is if your infamy rises high enough, but so far I've been lucky with the CB stuff. And even if not, I have some (admitedly limited) contingency measures to lower it.

-Funny thing about the CSA, is that because the way AI is, and that Slavery is classified in Political Reforms, nothing stops them from outlawing it, and could it even their first political reform. Like this one time in one of my Mexico playthroughs the Civil War happened in 1859. I supported them out of pragmatism (a weakened USA to stop bothering me on Manifest Destiny), and by 1865 or so they already had slavery outlawed, I kid you not. Since it was the first time I checked, they could've even outlawed it earlier than that. And I was like, "Uh, CSA, what are you doing?" It kinda worked in a very orthodox way since the Civil War was initially over "State Rights". Can't expain the change of heart over slavery, though.

I remember reading an alternate history novel where the CSA won the ACW, but freed the slaves in 1881 because Britain and France threatened to bitchslap it. Confederate Hitler didn't like that, so killed all the black people. Then the CSA got destroyed by nukes.

all.jpg

I have an announcement to make.

I am sorry, but this LP is cancelled. Since the last week or so I had been loosing interest... I just wasn't finding it fun anymore, and more of a chore, and I don't mean just with the war parts. Admitedly there have been a lot, but it's still only part of it. Considering there are still 100 years to go to finish this... I am not liking what it could entail if I am getting tired of it already within the first 15, even if I tone down the number of wars. So yeah... I partly regret this, but I feel I'd regret it more if I don't do it so...

Bye.

FEGELIEN! FEGELIEN! FEGELIEN!

In all seriousness, I won't pretend I'm happy this was cancelled, but Thank you for outright stating it, instead of leaving false hope.

Edited by blah2127

Aww :c

Sad to see, though it happens.

I-if you ever change your mind, I'll be around to watch!