An Old Theory of Mine

Honey Bunny

A while ago, before IS had confirmed that Kamui can transform, I came up with a theory that hinged on the idea that Hoshidan royalty were all dragon-kin. That has now been confirmed (the Hoshidan royalty bit, not the theory).

The theory was that every royal had the potential to transform, but the ability was unlocked by going through extreme mental stress. With Kamui watching their father gain a newfound sympathy for pincushions, the ability unlocked. However, due to Kamui's young age their body couldn't handle a full out dragon session, so the transformation was improper. Probably Kamui's partial transformation as seen here. Upon seeing Kamui grow a cool new mask, Garon decides instead of disposing of Kamui, to raise them as his own. Something happens, Kamui is sent to Hoshido, and meets Aqua. Aqua also having gone through extreme mental stress (she was most likely kidnapped) knows how the ability works better than Kamui does, and gives him a dragon stone. After transforming, Kamui, not used to full dragon yet, freaks out and chokes Aqua. Leading to the scene where they, you know, choke Aqua.

This theory could explain why Kamui looks so completely different from his kin (who knows what they looked like before transformation), why no one else can do it, and, more subjectively, why the partial form looks so much cooler than dragon form.

Thoughts?

Edited by Honey Bunny

Kamui watching their father gain a newfound sympathy for pincushions

Everything you have said is pure gold for this alone. :D

More seriously: I can dig it. I wonder if any recent generations of royal family members have had Kamui-level blood...

It's pretty cool theory. It could also explain why Kamui looks so awkward as a dragon, because it is somewhat incomplete.

Yeah, I personally think Kamui looks sickly as a dragon. Like somehow they've been...twisted, or corrupted. I don't think those quite describe what I think, but I can never quite think of the words when talking about Kamui's dragon form.

Everything you have said is pure gold for this alone. :D

More seriously: I can dig it. I wonder if any recent generations of royal family members have had Kamui-level blood...

Once I learn how to sig things, that top line is so getting sigged.

It would be interesting if someone also had intense dragonness in recent memory, wouldn't it? Perhaps Kamui's father?

This sounds like something out of Naruto lol

That was actually brought up last time too. Apparently it's similar to some shikigami thing, I think it was called.

Kamui's dragon form reminds me of a Mage Dragon.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Mage_Dragon

The Elibe bit mentions that they're basically twisted and corrupted Divine Dragons. Poor Idoun was one of them.

If this is the case, it's possible that Kamui might have been put under a similar attempt at this sort of distortion, and it's likely why he/she was in Nohr in the first place.

But it seems like he/she must have resisted it, either through willpower, lack of pure blood, or an accident, preventing them from being broken in the same way Idoun was.

If this is the case, then the Hoshido Royalty are likely all Divine Dragons, which would justify possessing the Fire Emblem if they do, and presents a link to Naga, if she has any relevance in this game, anyway. Either way they're called "Divine" dragons for a reason.

This would explain the choking scene too, to an extent, since it's likely that Kamui's consciousness would be battling with the primal corruption of the Mage Dragon's transformation, and probably making them go more or less insane until they overcome it.

Lastly, this gives reason for why Kamui would even be in Nohr in the first place, at least somewhat. If we assume that at the time he was the youngest of the royals, it would make sense for him to be kidnapped for this purpose.

Now, WHY Nohr would want a Mage Dragon aside from being, well, a War Dragon, I'm not sure of.

Enh this theory is okay but i just don't see it tbh, plus since i think it was pretty much stated that it was something about Kaimui's blood that allows him to transform. i also find it a bit hard to believe that no royal has gone through stress equal or equivalent to of a family member dying or being kidnapped and if it happened recently the royal family would likely know it was stress and you would think a royal family member (garon) would exploit it by putting their kids in a stressful situation. Also his form looks unmistakably dragon-like to me, admittedly more in the first trailer, his limbs are a bit disproportionate but that might just be his relative youngness for a dragon or because of his diluted blood. Though i do agree that he probably will loses control on meeting aqua and getting a dragon-stone.

Enh this theory is okay but i just don't see it tbh, plus since i think it was pretty much stated that it was something about Kaimui's blood that allows him to transform. i also find it a bit hard to believe that no royal has gone through stress equal or equivalent to of a family member dying or being kidnapped and if it happened recently the royal family would likely know it was stress and you would think a royal family member (garon) would exploit it by putting their kids in a stressful situation. Also his form looks unmistakably dragon-like to me, admittedly more in the first trailer, his limbs are a bit disproportionate but that might just be his relative youngness for a dragon or because of his diluted blood. Though i do agree that he probably will loses control on meeting aqua and getting a dragon-stone.

If you're referring to the line about Kamui having more dragon blood than his siblings: then according to this theory the increased amount of dragon blood would be caused by traumatic events. (Dragons are magical after all, normal genetics need not apply.)

On the family member dying bit, I think it's a bit more than Kamui's father just dying. More that Kamui was most likely a child at the time, and watched someone kill his father. I'd also like to point out that being kidnapped is likely an unimaginably stressful situation (I wouldn't know as I have no personal experience) especially if Aqua was a child. So I don't think it would be very common at all. Touche on the recent memory bit though. That part is a no-go. Actually this leads into my next counter argument too. With the bar for stress being set rather high Garon might not have been able to recreate the results, or, more likely, he saved his tests for his little Hoshido prisoner. I could easily see Garon wanting to find out everything he could before horribly traumatizing his own children.

The dragon form thing is subjective. There's really no point even trying to defend my theory here. You think it looks fine, I think it looks absolutely messed up. Best just to agree to disagree on this one.

Kamui's dragon form reminds me of a Mage Dragon.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Mage_Dragon

The Elibe bit mentions that they're basically twisted and corrupted Divine Dragons. Poor Idoun was one of them.

If this is the case, it's possible that Kamui might have been put under a similar attempt at this sort of distortion, and it's likely why he/she was in Nohr in the first place.

But it seems like he/she must have resisted it, either through willpower, lack of pure blood, or an accident, preventing them from being broken in the same way Idoun was.

If this is the case, then the Hoshido Royalty are likely all Divine Dragons, which would justify possessing the Fire Emblem if they do, and presents a link to Naga, if she has any relevance in this game, anyway. Either way they're called "Divine" dragons for a reason.

This would explain the choking scene too, to an extent, since it's likely that Kamui's consciousness would be battling with the primal corruption of the Mage Dragon's transformation, and probably making them go more or less insane until they overcome it.

Lastly, this gives reason for why Kamui would even be in Nohr in the first place, at least somewhat. If we assume that at the time he was the youngest of the royals, it would make sense for him to be kidnapped for this purpose.

Now, WHY Nohr would want a Mage Dragon aside from being, well, a War Dragon, I'm not sure of.

Everything here makes sense. Plus with Garon seemingly wanting war, War Dragon seems like a pretty convincing reason to me.

^ yes lets agree to disagree on the dragon part. though in all explanations he is not a true dragon so what he looks like doesn't matter much to your theory as if you think he looks messed up his part dragon status can explains that.

And I'm not trying to disregard a child seeing their parent die or a child getting kidnapped, but there are things that are kinda common that are equivalent or more. Unless being a child is a prerequisite, I think someone would in recent memory see their child/spouse die horribly in battle, or see a love one get horribly tortured. or be on the other side of a kidnapping (such as your Hoshido siblings for instance) and although this is unlikely to be mentioned ingame and I'm no historian but i would say it would be at least kinda probable that at least one princess in recent memory would have been raped or have it attempted on her and if that didn't set it off, what would.

^ yes lets agree to disagree on the dragon part. though in all explanations he is not a true dragon so what he looks like doesn't matter much to your theory as if you think he looks messed up his part dragon status can explains that.

And I'm not trying to disregard a child seeing their parent die or a child getting kidnapped, but there are things that are kinda common that are equivalent or more. Unless being a child is a prerequisite, I think someone would in recent memory see their child/spouse die horribly in battle, or see a love one get horribly tortured. or be on the other side of a kidnapping (such as your Hoshido siblings for instance) and although this is unlikely to be mentioned ingame and I'm no historian but i would say it would be at least kinda probable that at least one princess in recent memory would have been raped or have it attempted on her and if that didn't set it off, what would.

No, being a child isn't a prerequisite. I got the impression from the promotional material that everything was fine until Nohr attacked. All this stuff about torture, and rape more than likely won't be as common as you think it will be. Like, this argument hinges on the setting being extremely dark and realistic, and while this game is looking darker than normal FEs, it's still not looking like Game of Thrones. If we get promotional material that makes the game look like it'll be GoT dark I'll concede that the theory isn't suitable, but as of right now with dark for FE in mind, I'm not convinced you've debunked this theory.

Edited by Honey Bunny