Aesthetic vs Practicality  

195 members have voted

1. 1. which one do you prefer

• aesthetic
    • practicality
    • either one works

Both.

Stylistic but practical.

I suppose that's cheating so after that I'd rank practical first then aesthetic within Fire Emblem. But I'd rank aesthetics first if it was something like a fighting game.

Edited by Irysa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aesthetic and practical are absolutely NOT mutually exclusive and being able to achieve both at the same time is a mark of a competent designer.

As a character designer myself, I like to take many things into consideration when I design; Aesthetics need to fit the character's personality and their own preferences, it also need to reflect on what they do/abilities, class and stats in case of war games like this. Also their cultural aesthetic trends in general, etc etc. These are things I keep in mind every time I design something. Within reason and most contexts, I'd like to be at least 70% practical in my own designs, while keeping each character distinct.

It also depends heavily on the context. For FE I prefer to lean on the practical side since historical FE, while not 100% practical, still had fairly down-to-earth designs, but something like Jojo I'm going full aesthetic because, I mean, it's Jojo.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I don't think I've seen something that is aesthetically pleasing that wasn't practical or at least didn't give an air of "This might actually work". Maybe it's because if I see a design in a game I'd like to think that "Yeah, I could probably fit/use into that without hating the parts of me that are wearing/using it"

Aesthetics. I'm afraid I'm just not the type of person who likes to focus on "if this were a war in real life, their outfit would be very impractical because -insert reason here-" when it comes to fictional characters. I prefer to keep reality and fantasy separate. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my entertainment as much if I dwelled over something that seems so trivial imo.

I must also say that I appreciate characters who actually have a rememberable and fashionable design. Practical tends to look bland more often than it doesn't.

I want a unique looking character that stands out compared to the rest.

Awakening wasn't practical and I didn't expect Fates to be either.

Sometimes us groups of FE cosplays will get together and talk about which Awakening character actually had practical designs. The only ones we could come up with was Flavia, Brady, and Gregor.

This question is way, way too simplistic. As has been said, it's incredibly easy to do both. Also, this isn't just "is this really practical if you go into the nitty gritty" it's "your outfit should at least not be able to kill you before you make it to the battlefield" that a lot of complaints here have been about. And, as has been pointed out above, it also depends a lot on motivation, both internal and external. Does Camilla care more about being sexy than alive? Okay then. Her funeral. What kind of experience does the player want to have in that particular instance? That's going to affect what they want a lot.

In the case of FE, my problem is just how... dissonant it is for me. Like, if it wanted to be all-out farcical (think Disgaea) then I wouldn't be worried about things making sense. But with the at least somewhat serious stories, the idea that every woman would rather be sexy and dead than alive and badass just doesn't make sense. The current character designs make it extremely difficult for me to see them as actual people because they're just, well, dissonant with themselves and their world at large.

Aesthetics. I'm afraid I'm just not the type of person who likes to focus on "if this were a war in real life, their outfit would be very impractical because -insert reason here-" when it comes to fictional characters. I prefer to keep reality and fantasy separate. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my entertainment as much if I dwelled over something that seems so trivial imo.

I must also say that I appreciate characters who actually have a rememberable and fashionable design. Practical tends to look bland more often than it doesn't.

I want a unique looking character that stands out compared to the rest.

I can sign that, it's exactly how I think. I don't particulary care if the character is dressed appropiately, as long he is aesthetically pleasing to me. Though most of the times, I tend to favorize the appropiately clothed Units xD for example Belka. I mostly pick my units based on Design and character, so thats kinda important for me.

Only thing I don't really like when they give childs REALLY revealing outfits (see: Nowi) as I find it TOO unappropiate :/ Elise and Sakura for example, are way better.

Edited by Raid00m

I prefer aesthetics. I think it's what make characters unique. But the lower-half of Camilla's design bugs me, not because it's not practical, it just looks awkward to me, mostly because of those awkward-looking shin armor that pops out.

The main design that bothers me in the game is Kamui's bare feet... The Nohr siblings have armor boots or shoes, so how come Kamui is the only one barefoot? Kamui should at least have his/her soles covered when running in a battlefield.

But it's a fantasy game. I don't want to let logic about outfits ruin it for me.

I don't find Camilla's outfit aesthetically pleasing though. From waist up it would be okay (one badly drawn belt aside) but the bottom half is such a mess.

Too bad really, since she's otherwise beautiful.

Finally someone who agrees with me. Everyone focuses on her top, or at least more on her top than her bottom, but her panty window is what bothers me. Nor that skirt-like thing she has in some art to cover it up.

Aesthetic and practical are absolutely NOT mutually exclusive and being able to achieve both at the same time is a mark of a competent designer.

As a character designer myself, I like to take many things into consideration when I design; Aesthetics need to fit the character's personality and their own preferences, it also need to reflect on what they do/abilities, class and stats in case of war games like this. Also their cultural aesthetic trends in general, etc etc. These are things I keep in mind every time I design something. Within reason and most contexts, I'd like to be at least 70% practical in my own designs, while keeping each character distinct.

It also depends heavily on the context. For FE I prefer to lean on the practical side since historical FE, while not 100% practical, still had fairly down-to-earth designs, but something like Jojo I'm going full aesthetic because, I mean, it's Jojo.

This is random but nice outfit redesign of Camilla on your blog.

Aesthetic, since girls can't expose their big boobs if they wear armor practically.

Laughed out loud for for like a minute. Oh Chiki lol...

Edited by BlueL

I prefer aesthetics. I think it's what make characters unique. But the lower-half of Camilla's design bugs me, not because it's not practical, it just looks awkward to me, mostly because of those awkward-looking shin armor that pops out.

The main design that bothers me in the game is Kamui's bare feet... The Nohr siblings have armor boots or shoes, so how come Kamui is the only one barefoot? Kamui should at least have his/her soles covered when running in a battlefield.

But it's a fantasy game. I don't want to let logic about outfits ruin it for me.

Aqua is barefoot too.

I bet they wanted to make it clear to everyone that the characters actually have feet this time, so they decided to make the two main characters barefoot to show off the lack of stumps.

I can sign that, it's exactly how I think. I don't particulary care if the character is dressed appropiately, as long he is aesthetically pleasing to me. Though most of the times, I tend to favorize the appropiately clothed Units xD for example Belka. I mostly pick my units based on Design and character, so thats kinda important for me.

Only thing I don't really like when they give childs REALLY revealing outfits (see: Nowi) as I find it TOO unappropiate :/ Elise and Sakura for example, are way better.

I agree with you for the most part on half naked children. I didn't mind Nowi too much, though, since she is really like 1,000 years old. I'll let her off the hook.

I do not approve of designs like Nyx's or Ophelia's, though, because they are actually children. Children wearing clothes that barely cover their almost non existing breasts and that are see through is going a bit too far imo.

This is random but nice outfit redesign of Camilla on your blog.

you mean charlotte right

Haven't done camilla's yet (have a few in my sketchbook but nothing happy with yet)

Thanks, though :D

Both, and it seems beside Camilla and Charlotte, Kozakis seems able to provide me quite well in that regard. Belka, and Luna specifically, looks both practical and aesthetically pleasing. So does Oboro, Kazahana, and Hinoka.

Aesthetics and no practicality. I want to be reminded it is an alien game world where bizarre appearances can exist and not naturally replicate it in real life. Keep the fantasy high, the 'realism' low.

you mean charlotte right

Haven't done camilla's yet (have a few in my sketchbook but nothing happy with yet)

Thanks, though :D

Oh yea my bad, I meant Charlotte. I accidentally put Camilla because of my prior paragraph about disliking her panty window lol.

I voted for practicality. In order for me to really like like a design, it usually has to be at least somewhat practical within its context (at least not excruciatingly impractical). Also, I find practicality is a lot less subjective than aesthetics. My favorite designs are usually both practical and aesthetically pleasing.

Umm, what? Aesthetic isn't some either/or with practicality. It's the art style of a piece of work. Practicality, over-the-topness, bright colors, muted palette, realistic characters, stylized characters, all of that is aesthetic. Personally I wish the aesthetic of FE was practical equipment, bright colors, and cel shading, but that's just me.

Umm, what? Aesthetic isn't some either/or with practicality. It's the art style of a piece of work. Practicality, over-the-topness, bright colors, muted palette, realistic characters, stylized characters, all of that is aesthetic. Personally I wish the aesthetic of FE was practical equipment, bright colors, and cel shading, but that's just me.

I think what the op meant was aesthetic as an adjective (synonymous to beauty in this context). I assume he meant to ask if you prefer "visually pleasing" character designs or practical. Something can be ugly but practical, or pretty and impractical.

Edited by georgetruman

I know they aren't mutually exclusive. I'm asking where your priorities lie given a choice between the two.

That's the thing though practicality is aesthetic. Asking where my priorities lie between the two is like asking if I prefer pizza, or pepperoni pizza. If what you meant was aesthetically pleasing then that makes more sense, but even then extreme practicality is aesthetically pleasing to some people.