Character Individuality in their Designs after Reclassing.

A thing that kind of bugged me in Awakening was that if you reclassed a unit out of their original class path, they lost their original design and the only thing to really make them distinct was their head.

Now I doubt this will be affected in Fates, but do you think this should ever be tweaked at all?

It's unfortunate but seems kind of unavoidable in a game with reclassing, especially to the extent here where you can get literally any character into any standard class.

What I don't understand is why they don't just have character bodies be assigned color layers that are recolored on a per-character basis, much like how hair is.

It wouldn't solve everything but it'd fix stuff like, say, Severa promoting to a hero and suddenly having absolutely zero yellow in her palette. They already have everything to do it, they'd just have to split the textures up across the model, which doesn't sound like much extra work to me...

A thing that kind of bugged me in Awakening was that if you reclassed a unit out of their original class path, they lost their original design and the only thing to really make them distinct was their head.

Sage!Lissa has a design based on Emmeryn's outfit, rather than the typical Sage outfit.

It should be fairly easy to keep variations of recolored textures for each class, at least as far as basic hue changes go. Choose a "color" for each character, and then if going outside of their class line apply those generic alternate textures, at least keeping the unit's main color. I don't know why IS still hasn't done that.

I thought Awakening didn't have that since they were coming from Shadow Dragon/New Mystery where all character sprites were generic aside from the head, but I'm fairly underwhelmed that nothing changed this time either.

Edited by NeonZ

Sage!Lissa has a design based on Emmeryn's outfit, rather than the typical Sage outfit.

Sage is in Lissa's original class path.

On the topic, does Fates have it the same as Awakening in that being in the same class paths (or at least one) usually has a unique design? I haven't seen any gameplay so I don't know much about character designs when they promote/reclass.

Edited by Landmaster

I think the fact that they have some individualized promotions shows that IS would LIKE to do something like this but for reasons unknown to me haven't yet. Maybe they don't feel color schemes is enough and they want to get to the point where they can have everything be individualized like Lissa's Emmeryn-Sage? I don't know, but I DO think it's something IS would like to do and hasn't felt they have the ability to yet.

I think the fact that they have some individualized promotions shows that IS would LIKE to do something like this but for reasons unknown to me haven't yet. Maybe they don't feel color schemes is enough and they want to get to the point where they can have everything be individualized like Lissa's Emmeryn-Sage? I don't know, but I DO think it's something IS would like to do and hasn't felt they have the ability to yet.

They cut out individual weapon icons despite having a larger-than-ever selection of individual 3D weapon battle models. I don't even know what they want anymore.

I feel it would not be too much work to have custom color sets, at least, for a character's base set of reclasses and their promotion paths, but I don't mind lack of individuality on the additional reclasses they receive from gameplay since not every texture would have the same palette mapping, although it'd be something I'm personally interested in programming if i knew any ounce of hacking programming (but fuck that I'm not touching architectural-level code) For children it should just be their guaranteed classes (base class + father's passed down reclass) or sth.

But alas.

As long as it's in promotes, I'm good, tbh (generally, I was planning on everyone's final class being one of their base class promotes). Preferably in both promote classes, since in Awakening it kind of varied whether it was one or both (or neither in some cases).

Reclassing is understandable, but it would have been nice~

They do keep their colours when promoting

See Siegbert and Zophie Paladins for examples:

https://youtu.be/AYHDukKqU-8?t=3m11s

https://youtu.be/AYHDukKqU-8?t=5m28s

Fairly sure the Hana Trueblade shots I've seen also still has her in pink.

Not certain about reclasses, guessing not though...

This is only true for some classes, such as the Paladins and Trueblade. Many classes don't keep their color pallet even if it is their "natural" promotion path. Hinoka doesn't keep her red pallet for Holy Pegasus Warrior or Golden Kite Warrior, for example. Honestly, it seems completely random who does and doesn't get recolored. Oboro's kimono changes from orange to white after promoting to Holy Lancer but Shinonome keeps his red robes.

Well, if only characters got to keep their original suits. It wouldn't be that difficult since the models are already in the game. In "Bravely Default" you can unlock items to use the base design.