The Future of Castlevania

Knight

Is everyone's issue with the design or the focus? I honestly don't see how the design is any worse than, say, the Succubus from Symphony of the Night or one of the Camillas.

To be fair a Succubes is kinda also meant to look that way. I mean it is a fabled demon that sucks the life out of its victims by having sex with them and all that jazz.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think a Castlevania pachinko machine is bad news? Welcome to the real hell, a brand new Silent Hill pachinko machine! You know what's next? MGS pachinko! That's it, I am out! Btw, to hell with you, Konami!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ht4dbyPIcM

Edited by Magical CC

Well there goes any semblance of hope I had for Konami.

RIP Konami IPs. Like seriously.

YGO is all I have left from them and they're just gonna continue making that game a broken piece of shit.

They need to stop adding new card types for Yu-Gi-Oh. It took me forever to figure out Xyz, I don't give a fuck about these Arc whatever cards.

They need to stop adding new card types for Yu-Gi-Oh. It took me forever to figure out Xyz, I don't give a fuck about these Arc whatever cards.

Personally, I stopped at 5d's, those Xyz cards were too much for me. :p

Edited by B.Leu

You two are weak.

Just go read what Apoqliphort Towers. That's how crazy YGO has become.

But yeah. Konami's employees being treated like shit and their IPs becoming a dried up husk is sad times.

At least Contra wont see a patchinko machine, maybe Arc System Works can continue to use that IP instead.

Hard Corps Uprising was excellent.

Konami are being total creeps right now, complete with monitoring the social media accounts of their employees for grousing, forcing developers to act as janitors in their health clubs, constantly shuffling employees around in an effort to get them to quit, shaming people who take lunch breaks over loudspeaker...

They're basically gaslighting their entire Digital Entertainment division until they up and quit so they don't have to pay compensation.

Sources; 1, 2

Wow, Konami has become that bad? I mean, I thought it was bad enough that Konami mainly only cares about Metal Gear Solid and has essentially ditched so many of their franchises (and has acquired yet not used Hudson Soft and their IPs at all), but the employee treatment is beyond sick.

THIS video goes over just how bad things are in great detail.

Also Yugioh isn't so bad. :/ Magic still has quite a few more card types. Xyz are simple. You summon it via putting it over 2+ cards with the same lvl, depending on the required card type/level, using those cards as "ammo" for said card's abilities.

Arc V's new cardtype is super crazy though. It's weird and breaks tag duels D:

THIS video goes over just how bad things are in great detail.

Also Yugioh isn't so bad. :/ Magic still has quite a few more card types. Xyz are simple. You summon it via putting it over 2+ cards with the same lvl, depending on the required card type/level, using those cards as "ammo" for said card's abilities.

Arc V's new cardtype is super crazy though. It's weird and breaks tag duels D:

They keep making it super easy to special summon strong monsters that most of the old cards have become completely obsolete. 1900 attack used to be a rarity, now it's often the norm unless your 4-star monster has a killer effect or allows you to Xyz/Synchro summon really quickly. I actually like Synchros, I didn't at first, but now that I've played with them I find them quite enjoyable, but Xyz are just ridiculously powerful. And now they've added Arc V, which no matter how it's explained to me, I still don't fucking get. I also hate the unbanning of mirror force and raigeki, it seems if you're incapable putting up 3-5 monsters every single turn then your deck is worthless.

Magic's fine. I've only played a little bit, and it may have more card types, but when I play a game of Magic, I don't need to read a short essay to understand the new card type that I encounter. I can't really speak that much for it since I've done much more watching Magic than actually playing it.

I really admire Pokemon for keeping things simple. Even if EX's have dominated current play, you can always play old formats and at least you always get it, you understand how it works no matter how much it's evolved (no pun intended). Plus, your favourite Pokemon might be the joke card of last format, but the killer of the next.

They keep making it super easy to special summon strong monsters that most of the old cards have become completely obsolete. 1900 attack used to be a rarity, now it's often the norm unless your 4-star monster has a killer effect or allows you to Xyz/Synchro summon really quickly. I actually like Synchros, I didn't at first, but now that I've played with them I find them quite enjoyable, but Xyz are just ridiculously powerful. And now they've added Arc V, which no matter how it's explained to me, I still don't fucking get. I also hate the unbanning of mirror force and raigeki, it seems if you're incapable putting up 3-5 monsters every single turn then your deck is worthless.

Magic's fine. I've only played a little bit, and it may have more card types, but when I play a game of Magic, I don't need to read a short essay to understand the new card type that I encounter. I can't really speak that much for it since I've done much more watching Magic than actually playing it.

I really admire Pokemon for keeping things simple. Even if EX's have dominated current play, you can always play old formats and at least you always get it, you understand how it works no matter how much it's evolved (no pun intended). Plus, your favourite Pokemon might be the joke card of last format, but the killer of the next.

This. The problem I have with Yugioh is that the new mechanics and new cards are all about meta, it's harder and harder to play rogue decks unless said rogue decks focus on destroying meta and meta only. Everything can be summoned in a mind numbing speed and the worse is these new decks can refill the hand fast. You can summon 2 bosses in one turn and still have at least 5 cards in your hand in the case things go out of control and 10 or so cards in graveyard waiting to be used. It's all about meta or die.

erm. Xyz are actually weaker than Synchros for the most part. Aside from a few specific series that can go die in a fire (constellars and Mecha Phantom Beasts come to mind), most Xyz monsters are pretty tame. Synchros often game powerful boosts for playing them, as setups for them was more difficult. Stardust Dragon is still one of the best cards in the game, and all its spinoff cards are mostly good if not ridiculously great. Utopia is absolute trash by comparison.

Also Mirror force was never banned, only limited. They unlimited them due to the way Arc V introduced Pendulum summoning. TBH, I don't like Pendulum Summoning, but I accept its existence.

This. The problem I have with Yugioh is that the new mechanics and new cards are all about meta, it's harder and harder to play rogue decks unless said rogue decks focus on destroying meta and meta only. Everything can be summoned in a mind numbing speed and the worse is these new decks can refill the hand fast. You can summon 2 bosses in one turn and still have at least 5 cards in your hand in the case things go out of control and 10 or so cards in graveyard waiting to be used. It's all about meta or die.

It's true. Many of the cards are built around meta, but a lot of cards aren't. There are well known deck types that break the meta and survive on their own. Deck's built around lvl2s and Mecha Phantom Beast+Junk Warrior invincible combo with ridiculous attack points is still a very viable strategy, as is lvl 3 fiend spam into Terror Byte or Raviel. Nowadays the focus is hevily on hype and playing the bigger guns while totally shutting the opponent down. It's not as fun in the meta, no, but there are still good and unique decks that can be created. In fact one of the most powerful deck types is built around Stardust Dragon and Stardust Dragon Assault Mode/Shooting Star Dragon, and which heavily involves a large number of mismatched cards related to summoning it.

Pendulum summoning convoluted this to a point where I've been turned off by the series. Xyz and Synchro were fine, they fit and were simple addons. Pendulum actively warps te game by adding standard monsters into the Extra Deck and weird rules for spam summoning. It promotes issues and makes spam decks like Zombie a ton more powerful while depowering Xyz to being nearly worthless and making Synchro even more ridiculously powerful in terms of sheer speed summoning.

erm. Xyz are actually weaker than Synchros for the most part. Aside from a few specific series that can go die in a fire (constellars and Mecha Phantom Beasts come to mind), most Xyz monsters are pretty tame. Synchros often game powerful boosts for playing them, as setups for them was more difficult. Stardust Dragon is still one of the best cards in the game, and all its spinoff cards are mostly good if not ridiculously great. Utopia is absolute trash by comparison.

It's the ease of summoning Xyz cards is what makes them so powerful. Also, I just used Mirror Force and Raigeki as examples, there are plenty more I can think of that are mind-numbingly frustrating. I hate having to revive/replace my boss monsters for the seventh turn in a row.

To be fair, Xyz can't really be spam summoned all that effectively. Compared to Synchros, which send the monsters to the grave, Xyz have a lot of Archetypes built to immediately build and summon 1 Xyz that turn. While that can be frustrating (Constellars are absolute BS), it doesn't change that a lot of Xyz still have pretty poor abilities compared to a lot of Synchros. While there are less Synchros, you'll still see ppl running Stardust, Black Rose, Power Tool Dragon and the morphtronics, which are very NOT Spam Summon, are still a very viable card set.

As far as infuriating, I get ya. The way the game is now, it's about amazing as much power as quickly as possible to overwhelm rather than a lot more of the interesting strategy we were seeing in GX and 5ds for the most part. Arc V builds on this meta with all the characters trying to mash as many new cards as possible. Since the TV show has to get as much done in a short period of time, this makes sense, but the card game has been trying to replicate that for years, since that's what a lot of people thing the game really plays like.

Personally, I don't mind Xyz (ZeXal was still a piece of crap show), and Arc V is actually really really funny and I applaud Konami and Yugioh for bringing back and making new cards for old archetypes like Gravekeepers, X-Sabers, Harpies, Amazons, etc instead of just throwing them under the bus. It actually attempts to show the old off and make those relevent again with new cards for it. Which I can appreciate.

As far as the meta goes, if you're smart, you can build a deck that doesn't rely on spam summon, and a lot of Arc V-type decks are still really weak because they rely almost exclusively on Synch or Xyz, but lack the space for the backups cards for said Xyz/Synch monsters since a lot of that deck space now goes towards the Pendulum cards or room in the extra deck for Pendulum Monsters that are destroyed. It tries to balance things, but overally it's just a mix of both really broken and really weak changes and sets.

Pendulum summoning convoluted this to a point where I've been turned off by the series. Xyz and Synchro were fine, they fit and were simple addons. Pendulum actively warps te game by adding standard monsters into the Extra Deck and weird rules for spam summoning. It promotes issues and makes spam decks like Zombie a ton more powerful while depowering Xyz to being nearly worthless and making Synchro even more ridiculously powerful in terms of sheer speed summoning.

what Tellarknights, a super easy to use Xyz based deck, exist as well as a bunch of other Rank 4 monsters like Exciton Knight and cards like Utopia the Lightning and Cyber Dragon Inifity which have defined the OCG meta.

Pendulum is a silly mechanic yes butt still easy to use and understand and is really a problem with how Konami is making meta decks to be as consistent as hell. Pendulum decks like Qliphorts, Magispecter, and the Pendulum Magicians are a problem due to how easy to use they are designed and how incredibly consistent they are.

Duelist Alliance was Konami's way of saying, stop playing everything else, play these cards from now on because they are the best and will be until a year later when we make new, more broken cards and decks that make these seem like nothing.

If Konami wants a deck or card to be GOOD they will make it so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so Konami's doing a survey about its old franchises like Castlevania, and asking for fan opinions. If you're a fan of Castlevania, or other Konami franchises, then I'd suggest letting them know what you think.

http://mobilesurvey.blicx.com/?

Who knows if it'll go anywhere though.

Edited by Knight

Hey, so Konami's doing a survey about its old franchises like Castlevania, and asking for fan opinions. If you're a fan of Castlevania, or other Konami franchises, then I'd suggest letting them know what you think.

http://mobilesurvey.blicx.com/?

Who knows if it'll go anywhere though.

I shared this link, thanks for sharing it yourself!

Well, good news for once, maybe. An American studio is developing an anime (yes, an American anime) adaptation of Castlevania III. It will apparently be super violent and will be have tons of references to the video game as well as a heavy metal soundtrack. It's done by Adi Shankar (not familiar with) and the animation team behind Adventure Time. Looks like fun, wonder how long until Konami cancels...

http://collider.com/castlevania-animated-series-adi-shankar/

It's not a game, but it's something to maybe look forward to. At least Bloodstained is there to satisfy the gaming part.

Edited by Knight

Well, good news for once, maybe. An American studio is developing an anime (yes, an American anime) adaptation of Castlevania III. It will apparently be super violent and will be have tons of references to the video game as well as a heavy metal soundtrack.

But will it have super erotic violence?

Well, good news for once, maybe. An American studio is developing an anime (yes, an American anime) adaptation of Castlevania III. It will apparently be super violent and will be have tons of references to the video game as well as a heavy metal soundtrack. It's done by Adi Shankar (not familiar with) and the animation team behind Adventure Time. Looks like fun, wonder how long until Konami cancels...

http://collider.com/castlevania-animated-series-adi-shankar/

It's not a game, but it's something to maybe look forward to. At least Bloodstained is there to satisfy the gaming part.

We'll see if this pays off I suppose. Although I don't think Heavy Metal goes well with Castlevania much.

Edited by Jedi

We'll see if this pays off I suppose. Although I don't think Heavy Metal goes well with Castlevania much.

I'd have to disagree, considering most of the Castlevania games since Rondo of Blood had mostly metal soundtracks.

Time will tell how erotic the violence is

Edited by Knight

I'd have to disagree, considering most of the Castlevania games since Rondo of Blood had mostly metal soundtracks.

Time will tell how erotic the violence is

More orchestral and a mixture. Theres not all that many hard rock/metal tracks overall.

Edited by Jedi