Is There Any Possibility Amiibo Units Could Become DLC?

TheGreenBlur

The Amiibo support for Fire Emblem Fates has me excited, and upset at the same time. Excited because of the fact we'll be getting past characters who aren't just reskins of the Avatar. It has me upset due to the fact I don't have enough money to blow on a New 3DS or to track down the amiibos online and buy them for triple or quadruple their actual price. Especially for when the Roy amiibo comes out because he's probably the one I want the most in the game. I then stumbled across something saying someone datamined upcoming DLC and Robin and Lucina were mentioned. Im almost positive this could be fake but it gave me an idea: Why not just make the Amiibo units DLC? I mean, I don't care if I have to pay 3 bucks for the map they come with. I'd say its much better than buying a New 3ds and spending 40 bucks each on the Amiibo.

I know Lucina already has a version of her available thru the Cipher trading card game along with Marth and Minerva, but all of them seem to be variants of something else. Of course, this raises the question on what Minerva is a variant of, hopefully a full fledged FE amiibo line in the future containing Tiki, Lyn, and original Minerva, as well as others maybe, who knows at this point

DLC characters certainly seem to be happening in the near future, since 8 characters, counting variants, are already available as additional content at this stage, but who knows at this point.

Edited by MCProductions

You don't need to buy a New 3DS, there's a dongle coming out this month that lets you use amiibo with old 3DS systems.

As for the amiibo content becoming DLC, I would say there is no chance of that happening. Nintendo wants to sell people the amiibo first and foremost, selling the content as regular DLC would severely damage their amiibo business.

I'd love to be able to play as Ike in Fates but I'm not going to buy the amibo and the dongle when recruiting Ike on one game would be its only use (I don't have a Wii U). Hopefully there will be more information out regarding more dlc characters when the game is closer to an English release.

Sadly, I doubt they would release the amiibo units for the DLC for reasons.

1. It would be an insult for those who actually brought the amiibos(especially due to the rarity of them), unless the DLC is as pricey as the amiibo itself it is not going to fly.

2. I think they would gain more money by keeping it like this.

(You know..if they have the power to add the Roy amiibo as the unit, can't they add Female Robin or at the very least, have the Grandmaster be unisex. I understood that Male Robin is canon, but really...I do hope they fix this.)

Edited: The card based amiibo is actually kinda genius, I don't know if they will make it for this game in time...

Edited by TanatatKnight

I understood that Male Robin is canon,

Where was it implied that the Awakening Avatar is canonically male? Given that giving an Avatar character a canonical gender would pretty much defeat the purpose of even including an Avatar system in the game in question to begin with...

Anyway, I really don't see why they'd make the amiibo content available by alternate means. Given how it's basically on-cartridge paid DLC as it is, Nintendo's probably desperate to try to make any profits they can off their doomed amiibo line...

Where was it implied that the Awakening Avatar is canonically male? Given that giving an Avatar character a canonical gender would pretty much defeat the purpose of even including an Avatar system in the game in question to begin with...

The reason why I said that Awakening Avatar is male pretty much stems from the fact that default Male Robin is the face for the avatar of the awakening story. I will direct you over to a conversation about this in which a member once talked about how it lead to the idea that Male Robin is canon.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54974&p=3843330

My point is that while it is sad that Female Robin is unavaliable as an alternate option, the biggest problem with this is that the Grandmaster class obtained from the Invisible History DLC is only useable by male characters only.

I read somewhere before that the amiibo will become dlc, but they'll be weaker stat-wise and they do not come with their signature weapons. (falchion, parallel falchion, ragnell, thoron)

That would pretty sweet, even though we don't get their signature weapons. I would gladly take unique units over the weapons any day.

Amiibo cards are coming for literally no reason other than to help solve supply and demand issues for Amiibo

Fat chance, the Animal Crossing cards weren't that plentiful. They sold out really fast too, from what people said on Reddit some time ago.

Also, the Amiibo don't cost a lot anymore. A lot of them are below $30, even below $20. Very affordable now. And you don't have to buy all of them, you know. If you want Roy the most, just get Roy for now and wait a bit on the others. No big deal. I had to wait five months for my Ike and I managed it...even though it was hard.

Edited by Anacybele

The reason why I said that Awakening Avatar is male pretty much stems from the fact that default Male Robin is the face for the avatar of the awakening story. I will direct you over to a conversation about this in which a member once talked about how it lead to the idea that Male Robin is canon.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54974&p=3843330

My point is that while it is sad that Female Robin is unavaliable as an alternate option, the biggest problem with this is that the Grandmaster class obtained from the Invisible History DLC is only useable by male characters only.

Well, everything in the Smash Bros bit can be omitted, since Smash Bros is not at all canon. One Robin being in the box is because only one robin would FIT in the box. Or is Alph suddenly not Canon? Does Wii Fit HAVE a canon? Even Smash, the characters in the Palutena convo dance around saying Robin's gender, which means they hold value for both.

Robin subsequent appearances in other games are a consequence of him being the default costume and thus getting the amiibo made after him. These are "toys to life", it wouldn't make sense to put Male Robin and get a female Robin. The Robin in Fates is from the world of Smash Bros, as is Ike (which is why he's the mighty glacier type), and the Awakening kids refer to him using gender neutral pronouns (apparently)

The grandmaster costume is because male robin's model is already in the game. Remember, these class changes are mostly just head swaps. Also remember that in Awakening, Tactician/Grandmaster is NOT a Robin exclusive class. Any of their potential children, male or female, can also take on the class.

I doubt IS will ever outright confirm the gender of any avatar as canon, because that would kind of defeat the purpose. But these are how a gender can get canonized, with examples

- Robin, one explicitly from the world of Awakening, pops up in a story related event (not from his amiibo, but it could be a DLC like the Awakening level in Fates) like how Red popped up in HG/SS, making him the canon gender regardless of the choice in FR/LG. Or how Revya sowed up in a Disgaea dlc, confirming that character as female

OR

- Characters that actually know Robin referring to them using unambiguous pronouns, like how the Persona 3 protagonists is only referred to as male in Persona 4 Arena, confirming once and for all that P3P was non-canon (though ATLUS probably did that already), or, in reverse, Marth referring to Kris as whatever gender your Robin is

Honestly, not even the name Robin would technically be canon, we would need a Yu Narukami like event to solidify that one.

And these have to be in GAMES. No manga, no anime will count unless IS comes out and says "this is how it all went down gender and all"

Basically, it's not a matter of "canon" it's a matter of marketability, the character needs a name and a face, and male characters are usually more marketable in these things than a female.

Edited by NeptuniasBeard

Sorry for the whole Robin fiasco. I am too bittered by the fact that the Grandmaster class is a male-only class even when it should be available for all.

And sorry for throwing around the word "canon" too loosely since it a complicated subject matter.

But going back to the topic, I am all for having the amiibo units as DLC but I am still unsure whether that will be a good idea for IS to market.

and yet why the grandmaster or tactican seal can be only used on males in fates :3

They can be used on character from each gender in Awakening's main campaign. I'd think that has higher canon than Fates "DLC". Remember, it's not just female Robin, there's Morgan too. Her default "canon" class is Tactician/Grandmaster.

and yet why the grandmaster or tactican seal can be only used on males in fates :3

The grandmaster costume is because male robin's model is already in the game. Remember, these class changes are mostly just head swaps. Also remember that in Awakening, Tactician/Grandmaster is NOT a Robin exclusive class. Any of their potential children, male or female, can also take on the class.

Sorry for the whole Robin fiasco. I am too bittered by the fact that the Grandmaster class is a male-only class even when it should be available for all.

And sorry for throwing around the word "canon" too loosely since it a complicated subject matter.

No worries, just something that I wanted to clear up is all. Not a word I like to throw around casually, but IS was kinda lazy on this one

Makes me kinda ill to use that word

Ana, I never said they would be plentiful, just that the reason they were made was to answer Amiibo availability issues, how they failed to actually do that is another issue entirely.

On the Grandmaster class exclusiveness thing, that's more that IS didn't want to make a female grandmaster model, since they apparently can't rip it from Smash Bros, and not any indications of what's canon in Awakening.

Both Awakening and Fates try to have every in game choice be canon thanks to outrealms, and I believe that FE no longer truly has a "canon" because of that.