3-12 help, please?

Metakirby22

I've been playing through this game on normal difficulty, slowly but surely, although I believe I'm finally at a stopping point. I made it all the way to chapter 3-12 and I'm not sure I can handle it with my Dawn Brigade units the level they're at. I have:

Micaiah lvl 3 light sage
Sothe lvl 10 rogue
Toroneo lvl 14 lance gen
Aran lvl 16 soldier
Edward lvl 11 myrmidon
Zihark lvl 7 swordmaster
Jill lvl 18 dracoknight
Volug lvl 17
Laura lvl 10 priest
Nolan lvl 1 warrior
Fiona lvl 9 lance knight

They may as well be one level higher since they have 99 experience (besides Nolan).

I'm having so much trouble with this chapter, though; enough trouble that I'm debating restarting the game on easy, which, seeing as I'm on part 3, I REALLY don't want to do, but this chapter is giving me way too much trouble. In case you can't recall, it's 3-12, entitle The Price, in which you have to defeat 40 Crimean units with the help of allied Daein units on a cliff. None of my units are strong enough to put up a fight, though. Help?

Since your units aren't that trained, I think Tauraneo will pull a ton of weight. Master Crown him, give him some hand axes, and have him step down on the ledge, and he should be able to kill quite a few units each turn.

Take Wildheart off Volug if you haven't, and give him Olivi grass. If you have enough Bexp, try to use that and a seal to promote Jill. Volug, Jill, Nolan, and Sothe should be able to get away with killing some units along with the help of some NPC's.

Micaiah can Thani bomb some of the generals, though obviously you have to be super careful.

Edited by Radiant head

Be cautious, but do your best to wall up the main path (the one without ledges) with the allied units and people like Zihark and Sothe. They should be strong enough to survive a hit or two, not deal enough damage to ORKO the stronger enemies (so less damage per turn), and hopefully avoid a few blows.

Over by the ledge, Tauroneo with javelins and maybe Micaiah and Leonardo should hold the enemies back. Volug should hang around with Zihark and Sothe (and your main group) for assistance with things like generals.

Everyone else should do their best to not get killed, but you might want to try and have them get a few kills for Exp. The next level is the worst.

My first playthrough I struggled like hell to get through 3-6, 3-12, and 3-13, and ever since I always make sure to train the hell out of the DB. Specifically Jill, Nolan, and Zihark. Volug comes pretty much ready once you can take out Wildheart.

Edited by Radiant head

For prep: You could probably give Tauroneo/Aran/Jill 1 BEXP and promote them with a Crown/Seal. Distribute the rest of your BEXP between Jill/Nolan/Aran, prioritising who has the best defensive stats (HP/spd/def) post-promotion. Take Wildheart off Volug and give him some Olivi Grass like Radiant Head said. If you can afford the Taksh in the Bargains shop, get it (it will be helpful next chapter).

For the chapter: Get Volug/Sothe/whoever else has good defense to form a wall along the path, and use Laura/vulneraries to keep them in good shape. Equip weaker weapons to minimise chance of getting a crit and being exposed to more enemies than you need to be. Try not to leave any enemies wounded at the end of PP for the same reason. The more enemies Tauroneo kills, the less your other force has to do.

Ignore Edward and Fiona. Deploy them for rescue and shove purposes, but don't give them any experience ever again.

As others have said, promote Tauroneo with a Master Crown. Give him some Javelins and Hand Axes, send him down the ledge, and he should be handle that side alone. For safety, make sure to at least give him a Vulnerary.

Either BEXP Jill to promotion or cap off her level and promote her with a Master Seal if you have one. If you have any stat boosters remaining, she's probably the best place to put them. If you have a spare Master Seal/BEXP after that, do the same with Aran.

At the right side, there's a spot down the path where you can block off the enemies with two units. In the right spot, keep your most defensive unit. This could be any of Sothe, Nolan (w/ Tarvos), Jill, or Aran (make sure Aran won't get doubled). Use someone else in the left spot until Volug is ready to transform (make sure you remove Wildheart) so he can take the space. Be sure to top him up with Olivi Grass as needed. If it looks bad and you don't have Physic, heal him and either rescue or shove the healer so your healer can't be hit by ranged enemies.

Volug is in the left spot because he can't be attacked by as many ranged enemies here and he's probably your best offensive (and defensive) unit right now, so you want him here to maximize his 1 range enemy phase exposure while keeping ranged attacks minimal. Plus, two of the spots ranged enemies can hit him from can be attacked up close by whoever his helper his.

Have other units attack from behind, just be careful about ranged enemies if you have someone weak like Micaiah attacking. Jill can also fly out, kill problem enemies, then fly back to safety, so make use of that.

Hope this helps.

Why would you need to remove Wildheart from Volug? He can still grass and full-shift without it, and half-shifting is better than not-shifting in emergencies (he can unshift, half-shift, then attack all in one turn if necessary, for example).

Why would you need to remove Wildheart from Volug? He can still grass and full-shift without it, and half-shifting is better than not-shifting in emergencies (he can unshift, half-shift, then attack all in one turn if necessary, for example).

Oh, this is true.

OP, you don't need to remove Wildheart, just remember to prioritize normal transforming over half-shifting.

Only one of the DB members (Nolan) is promoted yet.

This kinda sucks... yeah.

Anyway if your units are kinda weak, prepromote them with masterseal(s) to get the boosts.

Supports will help you too like earth-earth. Since Nolan is a warrior he might take 2-3 hits and can dodge quite a bit.

Let act the NPCs first to weak / kill some of the enemies.

Jill as a flyer is very handy in this chapter (maybe giving her the pass skill and boosts).

Send Leo to the west to kill the falcon knight reinforcements (buy a crossbow in the shop).

A general tip: Turtling is the best strategy for this and the next (even harder) chapter.

Possibly give volug an earth support with Nolan or Zihark for 15% bonus avoid and also regular transforming over halfshifting. Giving Micaiah a physic staff also helps as do pure waters if any mages are by the ledge. Tauroneo also helps on the western part of the map and don't forget to direct the friendly troops.

I find that the chapter almost plays itself if you hold your troops back somewhat and let your allied units pull some weight. For toroneo, try to get him down the first ledge (the second will see my dead very quickly) and he can rack up a few kills, though i have never had to do this myself. If you still have paragon with the dawn brigade and could go back some chapters, i would suggest heavily giving it to jill and getting her ready and promoted for this chapter, but otherwise use her brave axe to deal damage to the generals in the main entrance to the canyon and then fly as far away as possible.

If i remember correctly a physic staff is for sale in this chapter, i would give it to mikky as she should not see much (if any) combat this level. Front line units that i would use are sothe and zihark primarily with some volug and nolan up at the front supporting sothe and zihark respectively (though i know it hurts to cancel the mikky/sothe A support you made your bed and you need to sleep in it). Try to make use of the weapons they were given by pelleus as tarvos, leos bow and edwards sword are fantastic and although the units may suck you might be able to steal a kill or two if you are careful to keep them out of attack range all the time. Be careful of the pegasus knights, if your mikky is low stat wise then they could double her and cause a restart. If you get lucky with ally hit rates they should clear 10/15 by themselves so do not give up hope. Also if you had lyre for this chapter you would win in first turn. Good luck pilgrim (and do try to level up aran and jill as they are near promotion and will need it for their next chapter).