Any guilty confessions?

Minischew

I finished Nohr Lunatic without relying on Camilla heavily. For all her superior growths, Belka and Lutz still fit the traditional dragonmaster role better.

I think you don't need Ryouma in IK Lunatic, since the chapter you get him also comes with other units. He's still the most powerful, but it's not a requirement to use him. If there's anyone good for his debut chapter, it'd be Kamui: good defence and good magic, ideal for taking out Generals. Actually, I was too confident in Ryouma at one point and almost had him killed by an enemy General. The weapon triangle is still a thing.

Once you're past that chapter, you can shove him aside. You probably have other viable units at that point.

Edited by nocturnal YL

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Nohr Lunatic without relying on Camilla heavily. For all her superior growths, Belka and Lutz still fit the traditional dragonmaster role better.

I think you don't need Ryouma in IK Lunatic, since the chapter you get him also comes with other units. He's still the most powerful, but it's not a requirement to use him. If there's anyone good for his debut chapter, it'd be Kamui: good defence and good magic, ideal for taking out Generals. Actually, I was too confident in Ryouma at one point and almost had him killed by an enemy General. The weapon triangle is still a thing.

Once you're past that chapter, you can shove him aside. You probably have other viable units at that point.

Really? I haven't really heard anyone talk too much about Berka; if anything, I've heard some people suggest that you reclass her to Berserker instead. Lutz also seems rather unpopular, although I suspect that's more because he's a child unit. Anyhow, why are Berka and Lutz the superior choices?

And really? Some broken units in Awakening totally screwed over the weapon triangle so I didn't think it would affect Ryoma that much, whoops. Glad to hear that he does have a fatal weak spot, though!

(I've heard that Shinonome became a Lance Fighter to up his father in the weapon triangle. Guess that was a wise choice!)

It's a huge relief to hear that I won't be screwed by not using Ryoma. I'm really not too keen on using him. Hopefully I'll warm up to him when I play.

Edited by Minischew

Yes, Shino wants to exploit the meta and beat his dad using WTA

I for one enjoy that one of my favs is massively OP because at least it balances out that my other fav got dealt a horrible hand by the devs

I'm still bitter about Rinka's gameplay everything

Here's how Takumi's popularity played out over the course of the pre-release and post release time frame. When we first learned about Takumi's relationship with the Avatar, it appeared he was hostile without much context so people didn't like him. This is before we learned just how much player worship was in the game so many wouldn't realize how refreshing Takumi was until later. As we learned more about him, people came to understand him as one of the better written characters, particularly for Hoshido. I wasn't watching the early streaming of the game where the #blameTakumi meme was born but I can say that in Nohr, he's persistent and annoying so I can see why people would be bothered by him there.

Wasn't it already known Takumi hated Kamui because Kamui was raised in Nohr, SPOILER caused the death of Mikoto and could very well turn his back on everyone?

Wasn't it already known Takumi hated Kamui because Kamui was raised in Nohr, SPOILER caused the death of Mikoto and could very well turn his back on everyone?

I can't recall the exact details of what we knew at the time (such as the important info that Garon killed Takumi's dad) but "hates you because you were raised in the bad guy country" sounds pretty petty without understanding his other reasons.

I can't really speak about him as a character, since I haven't read any of his supports or the story...

(Uh, this may be character hate. So heads up, I'm going to be talking about Ryoma.)

But I really detest Ryoma as a unit. He's too goddamn OP. Like, I know all of the royals are OP-- I've seen people say you can't defeat Nohr Lunatic without Camilla, and Takumi's been dubbed "tankumi" or "critkumi"...

But Ryoma is just, idk, the most OP of the OP? For instance, his Nohrian counterpart, Xander, has noticeable problems. Without a Charlotte/Luna pair-up, he can be a bit slow and fail to double some enemies, and his Res is dead shit. I saw a video where Xander was taking 6 damage from physical units, and then a mage just swooped in and dealt 20 damage.

But in the very same video, I don't remember Ryoma getting hit even once. He always ORKO'd all enemies, and activated a skill 9/10 of the times. Hell, I'd say it would have been closer to 9.5/10. It just... irritated me. I know units can be OP, but Ryoma could have probably been placed on that map alone and wiped out all the enemies unscathed. I even got the feeling that the only reason others were needed was to reach the villages in time.

I know Ryoma does have one drawback-- his Mov. He doesn't have flying utility or anything like that. But that's not really a flaw, because there are some characters designed to provide that utility, and Ryoma just isn't one of them. And in other aspects, it just seems like he's absolutely flawless.

(EDIT: In retrospect, I realized I was exaggerating a bit too much. As someone posted below me, he could get screwed by the weapon triangle. And I realized he's not that strong when an enemy has Defensive Formation, although he'll probably still take 0 damage due to his high Avo.)

And I hate it when games have characters that are just way too OP like that. I'm willing to accept a certain level of OP, because it's inevitable that some characters will be more powerful than others, and that balance won't always be perfect. Hell, Xander is pretty OP, and even that doesn't piss me off.

It's just Ryoma. I just can't, ugh.

I probably won't use him in my runthroughs, unless it becomes an absolute necessity in Hoshido/IK Lunatic.

That's one thing that irritates me, too, and I love Ryoma. They seemed to want to make him noticeably better than Marx on all levels.

He's a better unit. He was born with natural talent while Marx had to struggle to overcome his shyness and lack of skill. Ryoma can swim like a fish. Marx can't even swim and needs a floaty.

Even though Kamui grew up with Marx as his brother, it's Ryoma who sacrifices himself to protect Kamui. Marx not only kills Elise but still refuses to stand down even though her last wish was for them to stop fighting. They just had to make him so damn stubborn.

And just look at their sons...

I would like to remind you guys that Nohr is supposed to be a harder route. They could be equal in raw stats (roughly) for all that matters, but Nohr as a route was designed to be a more veteran-friendly route and Hoshido is designed to be more welcoming to new players.

Also knowing IS and their previous design choices, I'm not sure if they understand that offense is the strongest in FE and tanking is good but not as powerful, so I'm not quite sure if you can really call Ryouma "stronger on purpose" here, given IS's history with unit design.

I love Shino but he's a little shit who almost gets himself killed in a desert, at least Sieg isn't a disappointment

Edited by Thor Odinson

Another confession from me: I think making everyone bi wouldn't have been a bad idea. That way, everyone can get the waifu/husbando they want and the gay pairings they want.

I like to think of it as possible multiverse shenanigans where you don't know whether you're in the universe where character X is into guys until they marry one.

That and I really want Flannel x Nishiki orz

I would like to add that no matter what I shall always love Zero and Eponine and throughout the routes I won't marry Zero or Eponine nor be her parent I will still give them priority pick in spouse so they can have the most acces to skills and classes. My end goal is to make them have all possible skills(mainly Zero) without getting them from MyCastle.

Some confessions of mine (they aren't necessary 'guilty' though)

- Soleil has my least favorite design in the game. She's literally Inigo with longer hair.

- Out of the siblings, I care the least about the imoutos.

- My first crush was actually Ryoma. My first impression on Marx was actually "Eww he has gross hair and an ugly tiara" when I first saw him in the CGI trailer lol but for some reason he had been slowly becoming my husbando favorite character in the game.

- I was utterly shocked when I heard the story for Fates (especially Nohr) was awful. I mean, what was Kibayashi there for? Why did they have to brag about him so much in the first place? I was kinda sad at the same time too, considering the game has such a great premise.

That's one thing that irritates me, too, and I love Ryoma. They seemed to want to make him noticeably better than Marx on all levels.

He's a better unit. He was born with natural talent while Marx had to struggle to overcome his shyness and lack of skill. Ryoma can swim like a fish. Marx can't even swim and needs a floaty.

Even though Kamui grew up with Marx as his brother, it's Ryoma who sacrifices himself to protect Kamui. Marx not only kills Elise but still refuses to stand down even though her last wish was for them to stop fighting. They just had to make him so damn stubborn.

And just look at their sons...

I actually like the fact Marx was a wimpy, shy kid in his younger years. That means he actually had to work his ass off to gain the power and respect he has right now, and that makes me appreciate the dude even more. It also helps differentiate Ryoma and Marx apart too, since one of my initial gripes about Ryoma and Marx was that they feel too similar to each other character/personality wise.

And I think the idea of the manliest guy/best warrior in Nohr who surprisingly can't swim is actually adorable af but maybe that's just me.

Also, although I've come to like my son nephew Sieggy, Ryoma's son is still best kid.

- I was utterly shocked when I heard the story for Fates (especially Nohr) was awful. I mean, what was Kibayashi there for? Why did they have to brag about him so much in the first place? I was kinda sad at the same time too, considering the game has such a great premise.

I'm convinced that the only reason that Kibayashi was there was for the writer version of stunt casting; they got him to write a script basically so that they could say he wrote the script because it sounds good for advertising purposes.

Here goes nothing...

-I wanted to marry Ryoma since the first time I saw him. Even after I found out he was Kamui's brother I still wanted him.

-I will never marry Elise to anyone but I'm okay with marrying Sakura off.

-I actually like Aqua.

-I HATE Marx.

-With that said I also ship RyoMarx and MarxAqua.

-I'm going to marry Asama to Berka in my IK playthrough.

-I call my IK playthrough the OTP playthrough.

-I have a list of characters I want to slap/punch.

-Soleil is my waifu.

-I'm still salty that Piere only passes down the blue part of her hair color.

I actually like the fact Marx was a wimpy, shy kid in his younger years. That means he actually had to work his ass off to gain the power and respect he has right now, and that makes me appreciate the dude even more. It also helps differentiate Ryoma and Marx apart too, since one of my initial gripes about Ryoma and Marx was that they feel too similar to each other character/personality wise.

And I think the idea of the manliest guy/best warrior in Nohr who surprisingly can't swim is actually adorable af but maybe that's just me.

Also, although I've come to like my son nephew Sieggy, Ryoma's son is still best kid.

Oh, I didn't say I didn't like some of it, it definitely adds depth to him, it just bothers me a bit that he's made out to be the lesser one in those situations.

It would help my mind if Marx could hold his own against Ryoma one-on-one in the Nohr route, but I've heard Ryoma wipes the floor with him. If I'm wrong about that, please tell me. I'd be happy to be wrong. I know Nohr is supposed to be the harder route, but it makes it seem, even with all of Marx's hard work, that he still ends up being the weaker one.

Marx's character was handled so poorly in the story. He's one of my favorite characters, so I guess I'm still a little too sensitive about it.

Negative confessions in 3

-I literally have so much vitriol for this game that I'm creating a fanfiction that specifically makes the reader regret purchasing it. I don't know how the hell I got here, but it sure as hell didn't start out that way.

-I want them to release Spotpass to add Mikoto, Garon, Iago, Lilith, Shenmei, and Anankos Sumeragi as marriage candidates. They've broken the game this far, so why stop now? Might as well turn the game into a full-on farce.

Mikoto, please.

I'm looking forward to seeing Flora die. I never liked her same goes for Rinkah.

I initially didn't like Takumi, but I do now, just not as much as Leon.

Flora like Felicia, always gives you a smile. Even when Flora's your enemy.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I couldn't care less about the "fan service" in this game. Fan service doesn't, for the lack of a better term, "excite" me, nor does it bother me. It's probably due to the fact that compared to what I've seen, any fan service in Fates is tame.

I'd still be pissed if they removed skinship in the localization though.

Don't matter.

What use does it have other than to annoy the hell out of some of us?! It's war for Christ sake.

-I think Elise is a little bit annoying.

-I'm going to marry my little brothers.

-I gave my MU's hair colors that i think fits with the character (and their child) they're going to marry.

-I like Felicia more than Flora.

-I am dissapointed in myself for liking the amie thing and hotspring so much.

-I think Zero is really creepy

-I seem to be the only one who's planning to marry Tsukuyomi I honestly think his arrogance is adorable.

-Hinata calls you his princess in his confession and i like it ....so much

-.-

She is very happy. Bringing grace in the game are why that she and Sakura are my absolute favorite female characters in the game! Ryoma and Marx being the male ones.

Syalla is even creepier. Hanging around faceless puts Tharja to shame.

Oh no, you misinterpreted me.

I thought you said "But I like him because I'm gay." because you thought Shigure was gay, not because you find him attractive. Besides you could be gay and find Shigure unattractive. The words you chose kind of puzzled me, but my reading comprehension can be crap.

Also yeah, by the way, the color Azura passes down to her child (that is not Shigure) is not actually hers, but a brighter, weirder version of it, hence why it looks so bad on a lot of children, but on Shigure and herself, it looks good.

Azure also seems to be the only female character to have a child while the other children are done by their fathers with the mother being anyone.

I can't really speak about him as a character, since I haven't read any of his supports or the story...

(Uh, this may be character hate. So heads up, I'm going to be talking about Ryoma.)

But I really detest Ryoma as a unit. He's too goddamn OP. Like, I know all of the royals are OP-- I've seen people say you can't defeat Nohr Lunatic without Camilla, and Takumi's been dubbed "tankumi" or "critkumi"...

But Ryoma is just, idk, the most OP of the OP? For instance, his Nohrian counterpart, Xander, has noticeable problems. Without a Charlotte/Luna pair-up, he can be a bit slow and fail to double some enemies, and his Res is dead shit. I saw a video where Xander was taking 6 damage from physical units, and then a mage just swooped in and dealt 20 damage.

But in the very same video, I don't remember Ryoma getting hit even once. He always ORKO'd all enemies, and activated a skill 9/10 of the times. Hell, I'd say it would have been closer to 9.5/10. It just... irritated me. I know units can be OP, but Ryoma could have probably been placed on that map alone and wiped out all the enemies unscathed. I even got the feeling that the only reason others were needed was to reach the villages in time.

I know Ryoma does have one drawback-- his Mov. He doesn't have flying utility or anything like that. But that's not really a flaw, because there are some characters designed to provide that utility, and Ryoma just isn't one of them. And in other aspects, it just seems like he's absolutely flawless.

(EDIT: In retrospect, I realized I was exaggerating a bit too much. As someone posted below me, he could get screwed by the weapon triangle. And I realized he's not that strong when an enemy has Defensive Formation, although he'll probably still take 0 damage due to his high Avo.)

And I hate it when games have characters that are just way too OP like that. I'm willing to accept a certain level of OP, because it's inevitable that some characters will be more powerful than others, and that balance won't always be perfect. Hell, Xander is pretty OP, and even that doesn't piss me off.

It's just Ryoma. I just can't, ugh.

I probably won't use him in my runthroughs, unless it becomes an absolute necessity in Hoshido/IK Lunatic.

Ryoma is most gamebreaking.

Xandar has problems that can be fixed with the Hero class along with Aether, Lifetaker, Aegis and Sol.

Here goes nothing...

-I wanted to marry Ryoma since the first time I saw him. Even after I found out he was Kamui's brother I still wanted him.

-I will never marry Elise to anyone but I'm okay with marrying Sakura off.

-I actually like Aqua.

-I HATE Marx.

-With that said I also ship RyoMarx and MarxAqua.

-I'm going to marry Asama to Berka in my IK playthrough.

-I call my IK playthrough the OTP playthrough.

-I have a list of characters I want to slap/punch.

-Soleil is my waifu.

-I'm still salty that Piere only passes down the blue part of her hair color.

Piere is very offending by some people with her being an immature egotistic brat.

Nohr route handles literally everyone really poorly so I mean, Marx got a pretty big shitstick here but so did everyone else

Stats really mean nothing in the grand scheme of characterization; I mean if you also look at the prologue scripted battle, Marx takes a pretty big chunk out of Ryouma and Ryouma has to pull an Astra, and they end up doing roughly equal amount of damage against each other. That's a Marx unaffected by RNG. I think that's what the game wants to represent, but I'm pretty sure L mode is not meant to be the true representation of character power and I'd be very surprised if Marx can't 1v1 Ryouma in chapter 25 on Nohrmal. RNG probably really hates that Marx or something. His sword bonus and Ryouma's sword bonus pretty much cancells each other out. (I also heard dragon!Kamui can tank ryouma decently without being +def and dragon!Kamui and Marx should be on roughly similar levels of tankiness? though I haven't checked numbers properly)

Take another character from a previous FE for example: Karel from FE7 is supposed to be, story-wise, one of the best fighters in Elibe who's mowed down hundreds of men by himself. His stats? Only so-so, and he hardly competes with Harken even if Harken didn't have Brave Sword or HM Bonuses.

Hell, even in fates. Rinka x Kagerou shows that Rinka is pretty strong and being able to wrestle against the strength ninja (Kagerou's strength is recognised in Kagerou x Suzuake), I read google translated Rinka x Tsukuyomi (and there's implications of it in Rinka x Takumi) that Rinka is actually not a shitty cook, either. In gameplay, Rinka has 25%+class str growth, -1 str mod despite her well-developed muscles, and also makes food that cancels out bonuses in the cafeteria. In terms of mods, even Orochi has +1 str on her. Gameplay dealt her a very shitty hand, but it doesn't mean her character itself is weak.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Nohr route handles literally everyone really poorly so I mean, Marx got a pretty big shitstick here but so did everyone else

Stats really mean nothing in the grand scheme of characterization; I mean if you also look at the prologue scripted battle, Marx takes a pretty big chunk out of Ryouma and Ryouma has to pull an Astra, and they end up doing roughly equal amount of damage against each other. That's a Marx unaffected by RNG. I think that's what the game wants to represent, but I'm pretty sure L mode is not meant to be the true representation of character power and I'd be very surprised if Marx can't 1v1 Ryouma in chapter 25 on Nohrmal. RNG probably really hates that Marx or something. His sword bonus and Ryouma's sword bonus pretty much cancells each other out. (I also heard dragon!Kamui can tank ryouma decently without being +def and dragon!Kamui and Marx should be on roughly similar levels of tankiness? though I haven't checked numbers properly)

Take another character from a previous FE for example: Karel from FE7 is supposed to be, story-wise, one of the best fighters in Elibe who's mowed down hundreds of men by himself. His stats? Only so-so, and he hardly competes with Harken even if Harken didn't have Brave Sword or HM Bonuses.

Hell, even in fates. Rinka x Kagerou shows that Rinka is pretty strong and being able to wrestle against the strength ninja (Kagerou's strength is recognised in Kagerou x Suzuake), I read google translated Rinka x Tsukuyomi (and there's implications of it in Rinka x Takumi) that Rinka is actually not a shitty cook, either. In gameplay, Rinka has 25%+class str growth, -1 str mod despite her well-developed muscles, and also makes food that cancels out bonuses in the cafeteria. In terms of mods, even Orochi has +1 str on her. Gameplay dealt her a very shitty hand, but it doesn't mean her character itself is weak.

That's very true. Marx isn't the only victim. It's sad to me how they wasted some pretty interesting characters with such a bad story. There was so much more potential in Nohr's premise and characters than what we ended up getting.

That's sounds good. I'm probably overreacting about Marx not being as strong as Ryoma. I've not played the game or watched any videos, but I've heard some people going on about how much better Ryoma is than Marx. I guess it doesn't matter, but I just wanted both elder brothers to be equally as strong.

I'm still disappointed about what they did with Rinka. Her design screams that she's strong. She's said to be strong in supports. It doesn't make any sense to make claims about a character in the story/supports and not back that up in gameplay. At the very least, she should have higher strength than any other female in Hoshido.

I think in the end it just boils down to Nohr meaning to be a harder route, which means someone as OP as Ryouma is defeats the purpose of it. Marx is still one of the best units in Nohr route, anyway. There's also the RNG factor; someone could've just had a really bad string of RNs and conclude that Marx is bad based on one experience, when generally, when judging characters expected performance on a given chapter, averages by expected level at chapter is what should be used.

I'd at least give her like, 50% before class or something. Or at least if they're going for a pure tank, give her better HP because dear fucking lord.

Edited by Thor Odinson

People slamming Marx or being disappointed that he isn't an equal match for Ryoma are missing the bigger picture. Marx has 8 move, can tank most physical hits, can one shot several enemies and has a penalty-free ranged weapon. Give him your speedwings and he's even more of a monster. Ryoma is the only thing he can't roflstomp because of that crazy evade, and mages.

He's not a bad unit by any stretch of the imagination. Dat Rinka tho. Does someone want to be a champ and hack the game to make her good?

I'm friends with Rey and am a programmer. If I can get him to show me how 3ds hacking works I just might.

Make Ryouma and Crimson S rank-able while I'm at it.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm friends with Rey and am a programmer. If I can get him to show me how 3ds hacking works I just might.

Make Ryouma and Crimson S rank-able while I'm at it.

Being able to add supports would be kind of amazing. Think of all the characters we could save.

confessions for me

- i hate aqua (or azura) and i dont want to marry her to anyone

- i never used lucina so (this is coming from a person who married chrom multiple times) i feel obliged to just not use shigure

- i dont like fem!kanna's appearance, same with fem!morgan

- the only reason why i would want to marry takumi is because he doesnt trust kamui when he joins

- im full of sin and i ship camilla/belka

He wrote only the initial drafts for each route (albeit 500 pages a piece); judging from how he's not even credited under "scenario creation", and only under "special thanks",...

I'm convinced that the only reason that Kibayashi was there was for the writer version of stunt casting; they got him to write a script basically so that they could say he wrote the script because it sounds good for advertising purposes.

...^this seems like a pretty good guess.

Now, I think it's time for some of my confessions:

-I joined here because of the FE14 hype train

-I freely admit to over-reacting when several of the Famitsu issues dropped

-When marriage and kids were confirmed, I was so ticked off that I changed my username (anybody remember "Leon of Nohr"? That guy who made that stupid weapon/spell merging topic? That's me)

-I started liking Leon as soon as I saw the Dark Knight sprite on the bridge in the announcement trailer

-I like Takumi, but I think most of the people who like him like him more out of the way the game treats him than his actual character traits